It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the strongest emotion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Most people would say "Love" but love can also make one not see the bad, similar to the phrase "blindly in love" where a person falls for another and can't see how that person is bad for them because they love them so much and want to be there for them.

Anger seems to be pretty powerful because even though "love" joins people together and make the group larger, it can also be used for control to make people confirm and anger and hate can easily break that apart.

If you love someone but someone hates you, the hateful one will have more of an effect. They'll cause more harm and damage - more things that can be seen. Hate and anger can also lessen pain if one is attacked.

Desire seems to be a pretty powerful one, too - especially lust! One can be in love with their lover but if the lust is too powerful they may lose control and fall into lust. Lust can also calm down anger and hatred (make up sex).

Then again, it also depends on intensity. If the hate/anger is strong then you won't let the lust or love get to you. If the love is strong then you won't let the anger, hate, or lust get to you. There are so many variables.

Maybe Desire/Will is strongest because it takes desire/will to Care (love), Destroy (hate/anger), Pleasure (lust)

What do you think about this?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Fear.

Without a doubt. Look at what has been done because of that emotion.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I agree with fear. Its the root of many other extremely strong and dangerous emotions.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Instead of going with fear as that to me is the underlying catalyst of other emotions i am going with loss. The emotion of losing an attachment.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Anger, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness and surprise...all can be strong emotions for any one person at any given time based on the the contributing factors involved and the physical nature exhibited or encountered as an inflicted emotion requiring a response. Anger is the most aggressive emotion and would probably have to be given the distinction of being the strongest emotion in the context of your question.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Greed for power, control or wealth. It is the precursor of many of the negative emotions.

P

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I would say love (I personally believe it is the strongest... personally), but unfortunately love is in the minority on this planet. I'd say it is relative, but on Earth, fear and hate are far stronger, so I'll go with those.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Jealousy, in my experience. It consumes the mind, is hard to comfort and tame, and it tempts the sufferer to do harmful things.
It contains elements of fear, possessiveness and distrust. I would only wish it on my worst enemy.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Hate.

Sad but true.

If it's not the strongest it sure is the most common. More people hate than love.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Love.

People hate and respond with anger when they fear to lose what they love.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Shouldn't Happiness and Sadness , and Fear and Excitement be opposites instead?

Fear can be an extreme emotion just like excitement it feels similar but excitement is more positive.
Happiness and sadness feeling content and feeling non-content. Anger and Tender.

reply to post by TheomExperience

Originally posted by TheomExperience
reply to post by arpgme

Instead of going with fear as that to me is the underlying catalyst of other emotions i am going with loss. The emotion of losing an attachment.

Hmm this is interesting. You say loss is strongest because it is a catalyst for other emotions, however the emotion itself doesn't seem like it can do anything. It leads to an interesting question, is potential stronger than action since potential can cause any action to be done? I guess it depends on perspective. Interesting thought to think about.

reply to post by EllaMarina

Originally posted by EllaMarina
Jealousy, in my experience. It consumes the mind, is hard to comfort and tame, and it tempts the sufferer to do harmful things.
It contains elements of fear, possessiveness and distrust. I would only wish it on my worst enemy.

I found one which is even stronger - hopelessness. Sure jealousy can tempt and be hard to control and lead to fear, possessiveness, and distrust; but hopelessness can force a person to do anything it is like the last moments of desperation - wanting so hard to control, to hold on to, but it seems like all hope is lost.

reply to post by Bugeisha

Originally posted by Bugeisha
Love.

People hate and respond with anger when they fear to lose what they love.

So if fear can pull people out of love and lead them to more effective and violent (hateful, anger) actions why did you say love is stronger?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
As i see it, love is the root emotion and hate cannot exist without it and visa versa. By it's very nature it provides definition.

Perhaps that is the crux of the matter, Both love and hate, polarity, ying & yang and all that biz.

Maybe i should sit on the fence on this one

Mayhaps it's an ideal notion that love take precedence?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheomExperience
reply to post by arpgme

Humans 'fear' future loss.
This is the cause of all other emotions.
Without the fear of future loss - love would be tangible.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
Fear.

Without a doubt. Look at what has been done because of that emotion.

Just to add to this, it's a lack of love essentially, think vacuum, filling the void.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I would say jelousy/envy. Its not so much in your face, but this is where all the " bad " emotions start from. Without a doubt this emotion has a bigger impact then all of the above.

It infects your body slowly.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
It is fear. More precisely the fear of death. The fear of death ,has spawned countless religions that seek to offer you some sort of comfort blanket against the inevitable

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Yes but is it death that you fear? or the fear to lose what you love? The fear of leaving you're loved ones? And does that not all stem from Love? for without love there would be no fear?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
LOVE

FEAR

Diametrically opposed...

Fear encompasses all that Love is not...

Love is aetherlike, without form and gentle to the touch...

Fear is solid, palpable and oppressive...

Love does as Love is...

Fear does as fear is...

A99

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Bugeisha

Originally posted by Bugeisha
Yes but is it death that you fear? or the fear to lose what you love? The fear of leaving you're loved ones? And does that not all stem from Love? for without love there would be no fear?

What if the person doesn't have any loved ones? What if they are a lonely elderly person? They would still fear death because they don't know what is on the other side.

"for without love there would be no fear". I don't believe so. If you grew up by yourself in the wild, you will not have known love, but you will know fear running away from other animals to not be eaten.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It is fear. More precisely the fear of death. The fear of death ,has spawned countless religions that seek to offer you some sort of comfort blanket against the inevitable

Apparently the idea most religions 'of eternal afterlife' has done nothing to quell fear of death; organized religion has failed on every continent. Fear is the obvious answer as it is a growth harborer of opportunites do many other things resulting in the NEGATIVE pureness of INSIGNIFICANCE. This is Soul Killing, and humans do this to each other. Best method PAY NO ATTENTION (IT your neighbor may move volunarily). Message, dont fear fear be a fraidy cat of death because you are eternal (who said that clap trap nonsense).
edit on 6-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join