It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pres. Obama Tells Students to Reject Voices Warning of Tyranny Government at OSU graduation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I thought our change smelled a bit " Short "...

Is it not the same as the Wizard of Oz telling us not to look behind the curtain! Nothing to see here, move along.

This presidency has been a joke, I am for a lot of things, but take care of your own people before worrying about ANYTHING ELSE!

How is a Plant to grow if you don't water it's roots, but only give it sunshine?
edit on 7-5-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Voices warning of tyranny in government are like all voices linked to deteriorating mental health and should be medicated immediately.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
He didn't shut down gitmo
He drone attacks villages and kills innocent people to kill one terrorist
He signed NDAA
He signed the monsanto protection act
He renewed the patriot act
He's against the right to bear arms

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Trust your government, but mistrust your neighbor.

But, your neighbor is just one of the people. The government is just made up of these same people.

So, if you mistrust people, then you have to mistrust the government.

The terrorist could be anyone.

Look at what continues to happen in Afghanistan. Every so often, we hear this Afghan Policeman used his position and uniform to gain access and commit some terrorist act. He could only do that, because he entered the circle of trust.

Either you must trust everyone, government and people alike.

Or, you must mistrust everyone, government and people alike.

The government is no different from the people. They are taken from among the people.

The idea of "trust government, mistrust neighbor" is suspiciously like a "divide and conquer" tactic introduced by a tyranny or those attempting to establish a tyranny.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

To me, a speech such as this is laying the ground work to wholly discredit anyone who questions the actions of their Government as being "fringe" or "off". It plants a seed in the youth to look not to why people have a natural unease on the encroachment of the State, but rather they will reach back in their minds and remember that the President told them "not to worry; we are here to help" (paraphrase of course).

Effectively, the President has yet again carved out another portion of the population that doesn't think like he and has placed them on the "fringe".

What are 70% of the population fringe then. You know? Its a matter of degree for most just how much they don't trust the government.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Wow. This is a tactic that has been used by tyrannical regimes throughout history. They are attempting to seduce and basically brainwash those who have not yet opened their eyes to the truth. If there was not a problem, he would not need to say what he said. There are big problems with the government and the presidency in particular. The government has basically just assumed powers it was never meant to have. And Obama himself has undertaken illegal and anti-Constitutional actions during his reign as president. Part of the problem is that those who seek office in the first place likely have some sort of psychological disorder. Not all, but many.

This is because wanting to seek power over others is not a healthy trait. And those who are career politicians are more likely to fit this mold. Think about this: would someone who wants to assume power in the first place really pass up the chance to assume even more power? Of course they wouldn't. And this assuming more power is what we are seeing happen right now. So of course they will want to take away our rights, because that is the only way to solidify this ill-gotten power. As it stands now they are breaking the law. They have to attempt to reverse that, and taking away certain rights will assure that they keep the power they initially stole. I mean look at the Patriot Act, the killing of US citizens, etc.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Excellent post. Fraud speech as usual. .Gov tried to forced men to fight and die in Vietnam, Iraq, etc, for no reason They destroyed the economy now via the Fed. They force everyone to give their income to them so they can pay others to elect them.

He's trying to say they don't CAUSE any problems? Thats hilarious.

They caused the whole job loss problem via free trade, they know it, it doenst matter since their accounts are full for themselves and their kids.

The speaker on the vid could make anything sound good. A true example of one who could sell ice to an eskimo

Kind of like That Baez attorney for Casey Anthony
edit on 7-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: To exemply another slick evil shyster

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A lot of emphasis on hearing voices. He is throwing his own impressions on the crowd. Don't worry; those voices are real and they may originate from other nations and technologies, thanks to the blanket cell phone technologies being imposed on the population, and a side effect of wayward glitchy motive-control technology yet to be disclosed to the public, courtesy the Navy. A shout out to the USS Washington for sitting at a mike telling "soldier" or "Christian" how to behave. They really like hijacking the self identity names, watch out. I am non impressed by the tree of ID emulating that their software runs on individuals. It really hurts that they cannot govern except by engineered consent anymore.

That speech sounded like it took five minutes to prepare. Any of those voices tell those grads to fix the economy? Any of them tell the grads to wake up and think for themselves? Ah we'll they just went through years of being lectured how to think.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I am not a 'right-winger' but if you took the time to look at the comparison you may see the point of another citizen of the US. I am more to the center if you want to pigeonhole me. I believe in a small government, low taxes, strong military and help for those who need it not abuse it. I have no say in the abortion debate as a I am no-choice, I do not hate Islam but I do own guns. It can happen. When a person immediately points out left/right, then you are buying into what he is doing..causing division in the country so we hate each other and not questioning the government.

When a country is divided, it is easier to conquer...less people to convince your agenda is the one to follow, and eventually enforce. Just..think about it.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Sounds to me like Obama is speaking about the brain dead Fox News crowd that uses the rhetoric he is speaking of.

DOW just hit 15,000 - Oh noes, Obama is a communist!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Before more people freak out (as I did at first), you might want to read the speech and the offending statement in context.

The point he was trying to make and spends a decent amount of time leading up to it, is that we should take our citizenship seriously and let our voices be heard... involve yourselves, stand up for what is right, etc. etc. His point about those who see the government as a sinister entity is twofold: first - that we all have a personal responsibility to contribute to the common good, and that we too, are part of government. Second - that divisions in our society do not serve to improve our situation.

I'm including a portion of the speech, but you should read the entire thing for full context.

But participation, your civic duty, is more than just voting. You don’t have to run for office yourself — but I hope many of you do, at all levels, because our democracy needs you. And I promise you, it will give you a tough skin. I know a little bit about this. (Laughter.) President Wilson once said, “If you want to make enemies, try to change something.”

And that’s precisely what the Founders left us — the power, each of us, to adapt to changing times. They left us the keys to a system of self-government, the tools to do big things and important things together that we could not possibly do alone — to stretch railroads and electricity and a highway system across a sprawling continent. To educate our people with a system of public schools and land-grant colleges, including The Ohio State University. To care for the sick and the vulnerable, and provide a basic level of protection from falling into abject poverty in the wealthiest nation on Earth. (Applause.) To conquer fascism and disease; to visit the Moon and Mars; to gradually secure our God-given rights for all of our citizens, regardless of who they are, or what they look like, or who they love. (Applause.)

We, the people, chose to do these things together — because we know this country cannot accomplish great things if we pursue nothing greater than our own individual ambition.

Unfortunately, you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all our problems; some of these same voices also doing their best to gum up the works. They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Because what they suggest is that our brave and creative and unique experiment in self-rule is somehow just a sham with which we can’t be trusted.

We have never been a people who place all of our faith in government to solve our problems; we shouldn’t want to. But we don’t think the government is the source of all our problems, either. Because we understand that this democracy is ours. And as citizens, we understand that it’s not about what America can do for us; it’s about what can be done by us, together, through the hard and frustrating but absolutely necessary work of self-government. (Applause.) And, Class of 2013, you have to be involved in that process. (Applause.)

The founders trusted us with this awesome authority. We should trust ourselves with it, too. Because when we don’t, when we turn away and get discouraged and cynical, and abdicate that authority, we grant our silent consent to someone who will gladly claim it. That’s how we end up with lobbyists who set the agenda; and policies detached from what middle-class families face every day; the well-connected who publicly demand that Washington stay out of their business — and then whisper in government’s ear for special treatment that you don’t get.

That’s how a small minority of lawmakers get cover to defeat something the vast majority of their constituents want. That’s how our political system gets consumed by small things when we are a people called to do great things — like rebuild a middle class, and reverse the rise of inequality, and repair the deteriorating climate that threatens everything we plan to leave for our kids and our grandkids.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by esdad71

I'm sorry man, but when you compare a democratically elected leader, who held other office in government before becoming president, to Adolf freaking Hitler, you've lost all credibility.

And read the whole line. He's saying, don't expect government to hand you everything, government isn't your daddy, and it's also not the source of all of your problems.

Which is true, the government is the FACT of most of your problems, not the source. the source, is you, the useless eater who doesn't vote yet demands their voice be heard, it's up to you to force your elected representatives to do your bidding or throw them out of office.

The source of most of Americas problems is the american public.

The best liar is one who uses half-truths....and POTUS does a knock up job. Big Govt is indeed our biggest problem today...not just Big Govt but Shadow Govt. The Welfare State will never solve our problems. POTUS is expanding the welfare state. Sorry, nothing will ever change for the better this way.

edit on 7-5-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HolographicPrincipal

He may use the term "Founding Father's" but in the same paragraph he says we cannot do it alone....POTUS is masterful at presenting collectivism in a brighter light.

He says, the Founding Fathers trusted us with the authority to educate with public schools...lol...Horace Mann is who introduced the public school system in 1840.

He says, "This Democracy of ours", but of course we are a Republic and that is how the Founders set it up.

Do you collectivists and Obama apologists really pay attention to what he is saying?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I hear you... But his point, and one that I've been trying to impress upon my baby boomer parents, is this: Unless we, as a collective people, organize ourselves to stand up against all the objectionable governmental policies, nothing will change. Special interests will continue to mold policy, for instance.

Until the masses turn off the tv to arrest this toxic media cycle, until the masses stop distracting themselves with non issues, until the masses stop paying money to these large corporations that are influencing government and reducing the choices we have, nothing will change. In that sense, we do have a responsibility in a democracy to come together to facilitate changes.

I, singly, can say eff u to Sprint (which I am currently a millimeter away from doing), but what do they care? If the masses said eff u to Sprint and it hurt their bottom line, they'd change their practices. Further, if the masses said eff u to the mobile monopolies, perhaps competition and a free market would once again emerge.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I hear you... But his point, and one that I've been trying to impress upon my baby boomer parents, is this: Unless we, as a collective people, organize ourselves to stand up against all the objectionable governmental policies, nothing will change

And we will accomplish this by listening to Obama's Big Govt speeches? Obama is not telling us to avoid the welfare state or overreaches of federal control...he is telling us to enjoy it. Do you not understand that with all his flowery wording, he is employing the biggest federal overreach since FDR and maybe even more than FDR? Nationalization of the health industry and forcing us to purchase health insurance products, NDAA, TSA groping. drones killing citizens, and the Common Core Standards which goes around state and local control once they sign on to the program....teachers and parents have literally no input or control over curriculum...

I think you need to look more closely not just at what Obama says but what he does.

A hint, Obama has very slick speech writers who fully intend to bring America to her knees in implementing radical changes toward Statism.
I have said time and again that Obama has a Marxist agenda. Listen more closely to his speeches with that understanding.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

and he's letting TSA grope little children....hideous.

Under Common Core Standards, children as young as 4 years old will be exposed to graphic sex ed materials.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Here it is in it's entirety...

FULL SPEECH

Sorry, but he uses everything as a platform for himself. Not the country..not for us. For him. Narcissism comes to mind.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

The point is his speech was taken out of context, and in context, reading the words straight without personal biases or anything else, are just telling people to take democracy into their own hands. A la what I already said in my previous post.

I'm leaving party divisions and ideology out of it. Personal feelings about Obama don't enter into what I'm saying. And I will re-emphasize as others have pointed out as well, that a divided society is on the express bus to destruction. What Obama was saying, and what I'm talking about is what we can do as a society to change all those things you are saying is sucky about government right now. If some other government figure said the same thing, irregardless of party affiliation or what have you, I would still agree. As would Thomas Jefferson.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
[...]

Sorry, but he uses everything as a platform for himself. Not the country..not for us. For him. Narcissism comes to mind.

Well, given that pretty much every politician has his/her job mostly because he/she considers herself important enough, having a bunch of narcissic people run the government shouldn't be much of a surprise.

As for Obama's speech, it reminds me a bit of what Georgie Porgie said about not listening to conspiracy theorists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join