It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Melt "has the momentum of a runaway train."

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pistolerooo
What do you have to say about the ice sheet increase of Antarctica? IF, you are so worried, do some research of your own. Don't rely on those writings of people who have a monetary interest because it's obvious which way they will lean. NO ONE said ANYTHING about Global Warming until, there was a way to make money for the idea (Carbon Tax, Carbon Credits, and Green Technology). Really, what do you think you're going to do about the Sun and the wobbling of the Earth? If I were you, I'd be behind the movement to find an Inhabitable Planet that we could reach within the next BILLION YEARS.

Actually the amount of antarctic ice isn't increasing its actually decreasing as well. The area it takes up however is increasing let me try to explain.As we all know Antarctica is a land mass so its ice is due to precipitation basically snow fall. Now slight temperature increases are causing this snow to melt which runs off the continent and into the water.This causes the sea water to have a lower salt content off the coast which expands the area in which sea water freezes. Simple science at workput a 3 glasses of water in your freezer put 1 tbsp salt in one 2 in the other and 3 in the 3rd and see what tempratures are needed to freeze them.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ah, er, I meant to say in that last post -

It is a myth that Antarctica ice is increasing. The ice on the land is actually shrinking.

Anyway, here is the pic of the graph I wanted to put up.

www.nasa.gov...

Monthly changes in Antarctic ice mass, in gigatones, as measured by NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) satellites from 2003 to 2011.

Here is another showing a longer time line.

The first graph is probably considerably more accurate, so it would be interesting to see where the ice mass was back in 1974.

edit on 8-5-2013 by poet1b because: add second pic

edit on 8-5-2013 by poet1b because: add article quote, link, last comment

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I wonder when the Arctic will open up to shipping

That is the next indicator.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well here's a fun fact - to bad the thread is dead.

CO2 passes 400 ppm for the first time in 3 to 5 MILLION years

This isn't your grampas atmosphere

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
To all of the climate change deniers out there. At least you're in good company with your relentless defence of the undefendable: Enjoy

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances."
-- Dr. Lee DeForest, "Father of Radio&Grandfather of Television."

"The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives."
- - Admiral William Leahy , US Atomic Bomb Project

"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom."
-- Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
-- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
-- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." --The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what is it good for?"
-- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

This 'telephone'has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us,"
-- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
-- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible,"
-- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper,"
--Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make,"
-- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out,"
-- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible,"
-- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this,"
- - Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy,"
-- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."
- - Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University , 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value,"
-- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre , France .

"Everything that can be invented has been invented,"
-- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.

"The super computer is technologically impossible. It would take all of the water that flows over Niagara Falls to cool the heat generated by the number of vacuum tubes required."
-- Professor of Electrical Engineering, New York University

"I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself."
-- the head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor to found Xerox.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction."
-- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse , 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon,"
-- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

And last but not least...

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by greatfriendbadfoe

ha!! those are great! i'm so glad some of the climate change defenders are starting to talk again on this forum. it had gotten so overrun by the deniers i thought everyone had given up!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Thanks, I wanted to post that link, but too busy this weekend.

I have another thread with a link that on a scientific expedition examining soil recently unfrozen, that had been frozen millions of years, and indicated there had been an ancient forest growing there.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

At this point in time, denying global warming is like insisting the world is flat in the sixteenth century.

The only question now, is what do we do about it?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Global Warming Alarm: Continued Cooling May Jeopardize Climate Science And Green Energy Funding!

There is good reason for this cooling climate consternation. As David Whitehouse at the Global Warming Policy Foundation points out: “If we have not passed it already, we are on the threshold of global observations becoming incompatible with the consensus theory of climate change.” Whitehouse notes that there has been no statistically significant increase in annual global temperatures since 1997. He goes on to say: “If the standstill (lower temperatures) continues for a few more years, it will mean that no one who has just reached adulthood, or younger, will have witnessed the Earth get warmer during their lifetime.” (Since 1997, atmospheric CO2 has increased from 370 ppm to 390 ppm.)

www.forbes.com...

oh pooo !
someone done some measuring

flatearthers better buy some long underwear...and roll out thier check books..
gotta buy some absolvences....erps.... I mean carbon credits

suckers

edit on 13-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ya der dan
Most of the world will be in shock when the warm days are maybe 30 f
and nothing grows when its that cold,.not even grass for cattle.........

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

So you still think the world is flat because your priest told you so?

Are you saying they didn't ship across the Arctic Ocean from the Atlantic to the Pacific last year?

Believe what you want.

edit on 14-5-2013 by poet1b because: Typos

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Danbones

So you still think the world is flat because your priest told you so?

Are you saying they didn't ship across the Arctic Ocean from the Atlantic to the Pacific last year?

Believe what you want.

edit on 14-5-2013 by poet1b because: Typos

Just wanted to point out that while you seem to be enjoying using that phrase, about priests and believing, I would have to point this out:

Are you a climate scientist? Have you taken all the measurements and recorded all the data yourself?

Or do you "believe" in what you do because you read it or were told it by someone else?

A bit of the Pot and Kettle here, IMHO.

I guess you could say that my priest is better then their priest, or more people believe (there is that word again), but when looked at it sounds an awful lot like saying Christians are right because their is more of them........and of course they believe in what they are told or read.

Just something I've been observing in a lot of the Climate Change threads and find very interesting.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

What they ARE DOING about what "they" think is global warming is not "cool" in my book. Aerosols...trying to fight mother nature? We can't win a battle that sustains something greater than ourselves. My opinion, I know... but .... from my pov and the research I have done for my own peace of mind there is nothing we can do except roll with the punches.

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. The cycles come and go for a reason.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-5-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

It's like dying, it happens.
If you smoke, your choice.. you just die a a bit faster.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
There's those words again.

Could - Climate Models - Predicted

Climate models are fantasy, that's why they are MODELS!
Where's all the flooding? I thought we were supposed to be under hundreds of feet of water when the ice had even half melted!! I remember them saying that!

So, in two years time when we're all still here can we dispense with this highly profitable nonsense?

The sea ice doesn't change sea level at all since the ice is already affecting the ocean's level, just like ice cubes make your drink go higher up in the cup. It's the melting of Greenland and Antarctica that will cause the sea level rise.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Ok, I"ll bite once more.

How is making the Huge landmasses of Siberia and Canada more viable for habitation a bad thing if Man-Made global warming is occurring? The overall net gain of habitable land will increase.

We will not die as a species because of ANY global warming save the Sun going ballistic on us.

Lets revisit this thread in 2015 and see how good that prediction is...........

It's not going to make Canada and Siberia more habitable. The soil there is very poor and in many places is bare rock.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Sea levels could possibly rise by up to 200 feet in toto. This would put coastal regions under water, and turn low lying regions into inland seas, but it would not put us all under "hundreds of feet" of water.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Ah, er, I meant to say in that last post -

It is a myth that Antarctica ice is increasing. The ice on the land is actually shrinking.

Only a part of it, which is small compared to the rest of Antarctica. What they failed to tell you is how all the rest of Antarctica is growing.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Headlines from to-days update from 'climate depot' :- "most arctic ice in a decade, highest for the date since 2002', temperatures in the arctic are almost 5c below normal' ".
Another blow to 'consensus' science: Pacific islands growing, not sinking.
Alaska has coldest spring on record.
Atmospheric Methane has decreased.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

reply to post by pasiphae

At this point in time, denying global warming is like insisting the world is flat in the sixteenth century.

The only question now, is what do we do about it?

Who said the world is flat in the 16th century? The ancient Greeks new is was round! (a globe) I think the guys name was Ariskoclease, or spelled similar.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join