It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Cat is Acting Weird

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Is the cat eating, drinking and going to the bathroom like he normally does?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Good morning all!

The cats have calmed don. Ransom is back to his standoffish self and no more calling.

No evidence of electrical problems.

If there was an earthquake, I didn't feel it.

No catnip yesterday (leave it to you, manhater).

And the rain was just a light rain, no thunder. Since I've seen my cats completely calm during tornado warnings, I don't think it was the rain.

Therefore, my only logical conclusion: cat fairies.

Or aliens.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

A Native American friend of mine said that when cats act like yours is acting...they are trying to warn their owners of some big disaster in nature that is going to happen...for instance an earthquake.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
When one of my three cats starts acting like that it's usually because it wants to go outside. they are all indoor but we'll take them out on a lead for a bit to shut them up.

Is the pollen count particularly high in your area?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by Rikku
indoor cats.
do you realise what wrong with that?
cats are nocturnal predators.

When we adopted them, they were both declawed. They can't defend themselves outside.

We are quite aware of their nocturnal rumblings, they chase each other all over the house.

Poor little cats. De-clawing is an absolutely horrible thing to do to a cat. The pain they go through is meant to be like nothing we've experienced. I really hope this wasn't at your request

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

The cat's horny. Simple as that. Just because they get fixed, doesn't always take away the drive. It'll pass. (and it will happen again and again). If it gets too ridiculous, there are calming pills you can get at pet shops, that will help.
edit on 6-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

Poor little cats. De-clawing is an absolutely horrible thing to do to a cat. The pain they go through is meant to be like nothing we've experienced. I really hope this wasn't at your request

Some shelters require it, others require that you agree to never declaw them. Depends on the organization.

None of our animals are declawed, we simply train them not to tear up things (and buy good furniture that will stand up to them).

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Thundersmurf

Some shelters require it, others require that you agree to never declaw them. Depends on the organization.

None of our animals are declawed, we simply train them not to tear up things (and buy good furniture that will stand up to them).

My cat has it's claws (as nature intended) too and is well behaved, but I'm shocked to hear that some shelters REQUIRE DECLAWING? I mean, in a lot of countries it's illegal and the one's in which it is legal, it is considered extremely inhumane.

But yeah, the OP's cat definitely has the horn. I'm sure it'll pass in a week. Two tops.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thundersmurf

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by Rikku
indoor cats.
do you realise what wrong with that?
cats are nocturnal predators.

When we adopted them, they were both declawed. They can't defend themselves outside.

We are quite aware of their nocturnal rumblings, they chase each other all over the house.

No, it wasn't.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You're absolutely right!
It's much more cruel to let a cat run loose & be hit by a car,
or taken by a hawk, owl or eagle & torn to pieces.
(It happens! Yes, even in residential areas!)
Shot or poisoned by sick neighbors who hate cats,
or be attacked, maimed or blinded, by a dog, coyote or feral tom cat!
Besides coming home with worms, fleas & ticks & a possible illness!

Our local shelter requires anyone adopting, to sign a paper,
agreeing that any animal they are adopting will be an indoor animal only!

Owners are supposed to protect their pets!
Not let them run loose, helpless to all the dangers out there!
That would be something like letting your 16 year old daughter, drive to NYC alone,
to spend the weekend exploring when she just got her driver's license!!!

Then there are people who let their pets have a litter before they get them fixed too!
Do they ever think about what the mother feels when her babies are taken away from her,
not knowing where they went & never seeing them again???
Not to mention all the unwanted pets that are killed every year!!!

As far as declawing...we never had it done & I didn't know much about it.
Someone we know had it done recently. I was horrified at what is involved!
They don't only remove the claws, they remove the first 'knuckle'!!!
That's like having your fingernails taken off down to the first knuckle!
Try scratching a bad itch after that!!! How do they play with a toy or pick up a piece of food?
Not only that, but with that protection gone, the front of the pads are now exposed!

If you take the time to train them & give them something they like to scratch on,
you won't usually have a problem! Problems with pets usually reflect back to the owners !!!
You have to invest the time to show & teach them what you expect of them!!!
If you are the kind of person who has a foo-foo house & furnishings, & no time,
you probably shouldn't have a pet anyway! It won't be happy & neither will you!

I've had cats my whole life, live in a semi rural area,
& used to let the cats go out when they wanted to during the day.
The one that is 16, came home with a gash on the inside of his thigh once.
Couldn't have been from a fight, he must have been chasing a mouse
through a scrap pile or maybe old lumber with nails in it.

That was the first time any of our cats got hurt, they didn't usually go very far.
After that I didn't let them loose anymore.
The neighbors really miss them, they were good mousers!!!

I have a big dog kennel outside that they go out in now.
Even though the old cat was loose all those years before, he doesn't mind the kennel!
He asks to go out in it, & lets me know when he's ready to come back in!

We also screened in a 20 foot long porch for our rescue cats.
It has a scratching post & we cut a 6 foot section of tree with branches for them to climb on.
We have perches in different areas on different levels,
so they can sit & watch everything going on in the yard!

As long as they have space for a short run when the mood strikes them,
and mental stimulation & play time, they will flourish!
Cats can even be trained to walk on a leash & enjoy it.
I would recommend a harness instead of a collar though.
They can be little escape artists!

I guess what it all boils down to is...you get out of pet ownership
only what you are willing to invest in it!!!
Rant over!!!
WOQ
edit on 6-5-2013 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
When one of my three cats starts acting like that it's usually because it wants to go outside. they are all indoor but we'll take them out on a lead for a bit to shut them up.

Is the pollen count particularly high in your area?

It has been, but we've had two days of solid rain. Right now pollen isn't a problem.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

After having pets run over, I've decided all my pets will be indoors.

I really don't see the problem. Our house is three stories, they've got plenty of room. We've put the cat beds on a couple of windowsills so they can bask in the sun. We have items that they can jump on when they want to be high, and we have hidey-holes and lots of toys.

More importantly, we play with them. They let us know when they want to play, they'll bring their mice or other toys to us for fetch. They let us know when they want to cuddle and when they want to be left alone.

The declawing....I agree, it seems barbaric but it wasn't our choice. To be honest, the cats don't seem to "miss" the claws, although that's an opinion. They still scratch, they still play with their toys, all of it.

It's good to know you care so much for your cats.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Exactly, if they get what they need, they won't miss running loose!
And if they never did, they can't miss what they never experienced.

My niece's cat is terrified of even going near the door!
Who knows what scared her before she was adopted!

Our neighborhood isn't safe anymore like it used to be.
People put chemicals on their lawns, poison out for voles...
I'd be afraid a cat would catch a vole that had just eaten poison!

The people we know that had their 2 cats declawed,
don't seem much affected, but how do we know for sure?
They are much more subdued, but they aren't kittens anymore either!

The one gets out a lot, just watches for a chance when anyone opens the door!
I worry that it won't be able to defend itself! The other one not so much, & they are litter mates!

Not to mention all the baby wildlife & birds that cats catch every year!
We didn't ever let ours out in the spring when there were baby things around!
But you can't prevent everything from happening.

Unless someone has a big, high, escape proof fence, it's just not worth taking a chance!!!
WOQ

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

It's a very gentle rainstorm....

sometimes it's not the intensity of the storm but the barometric pressure
www.petsadviser.com...
www.wellsphere.com...

I have one cat that goes nuts (very similar to what you've described) frantic, whining, suddenly needy and physically affectionate and attention seeking whenever there's a change in the pressure. He also has some sinus issues - which I'm sure doesn't help. Anyone with similar issues knows how miserable you can feel when flying

Eventually my other cat will act up too, but it's always the boy first - hours ahead of the other

After a while they're both looking for a way to get in and under. Instinct kicks in and they want shelter - even if they're inside

I know it's over now - but I just saw this :-)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I swear cats feel spirits, etc. I have had instances with my cat starring at my stairwell and he is very fixated. I was going thru a very tough time in life with addiction. I am in recovery now but when I was using alcohol he was acting very strangely. He would also stare at my doorway in my bedroom and get very scared. One of my cats died one night at the bottom of the stairwell. I was sleeping on the couch downstairs and I woke to him frantically running around the house as if something was chasing him. He was petrified! I picked him up and he leaped out of my arms. I do not remember going back to sleep. I would not leave my cat in that condition. I was out like a light apparently and woke to my cat lying dead at the bottom of the stairwell. He had no health issues except a murmur but he was very healthy. The vet had no explanation for his death. He could have only been dead for a few hours before I woke but his body was stiff as a board and cold as if he had been dead for hours and hours. It was very traumatic and very scary. After that is when my other cat started staring at the stairwell all the time. I have yet another cat that I just got 5 mos ago (he's still a kitten) and he stares at stairwell too. Last night he was in my bedroom and was fixated on the doorway...he raised up my my bed on two legs only like a squirrel does and then dove underneath the bed. Very strange. I think there is definitely something in the home but I think it followed me as my last apartment there were issues there as well. It scares me, however, I'm a believer in GOD and I know that HE will protect me so I pray and hope that will clear the home.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join