It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Found Treasure at the park!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have my 11 year old daughter for the weekend - to waste some time we went metal detecting in the park and found this!

Full Size Image

18k stamp clearly visible inside the band, it weighs exactly 4.0 grams, or .129 ozt. Worth $140.80 in gold. =]

This is my second gold ring!

Funny thing is, I've never taken my daughter metal detecting before.. We were digging up all kinds of clad change, after a few digs I told her "if we find a gold ring 1/3 of the money is yours" (my son was there too..) 10 minutes later we were looking at this guy.

In the pic, the ring came up with my divot, so I dropped it back in the hole to get the pic. =]

Anyway, if you metal detect or gold pan or any other sort of treasure hunting, good luck!
edit on 5-5-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Metal detecting is something i always fancied doing. The romans settled here and coins and other valuables have been found. Seems a hotbed for hidden treasure where i live including Viking Treasure........Sounds like you had fun to

edit on 5-5-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Outstanding... treasure hunting is so rewarding! Peopple who don't go looking for free stuff have no idea what that feels like.

I dive in dumpsters and recently finished a local curbside recycle program. I found hundreds of pounds of copper wire, aluminum, and stuff to sell at flea markets. Even a gold necklace. I would show it here but am afraid to put pictures on the internet.

Every day is Christmas...

Happy hunting!

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Happy hunting!

I've found money in developments under construction...

I would like to try this. Seems like a grandiose adventur-a-la-Humvee-to-the-beach or creak or stream or lake or... *gets up and goes for a hike*

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
Metal detecting is something i always fancied doing. The romans settled here and coins and other valuables have been found. Seems a hotbed for hidden treasure where i live including Viking Treasure........Sounds like you had fun to

edit on 5-5-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

I would LOVE to find something like that. Here in the states the best you can hope for is jewelry, old silver mint coins..

If we had vikings here you probably couldn't get me to stop metal detecting. =]

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rschmfem

rsch, come to Utah and you and I will go metal detecting and shooting. =D

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Wow, second gold ring - Congratulations !

Do you look for anything special , or just here and there out and about ?
Im going tomorrow with a buddy..

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The thing is, if this is an antique ring, you could get a lot more for it. I don't know how antique appraisers can tell reproductions from a genuine antique. I envy them.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Congrats! But some criticism (hopefully constructive)! You should learn to pinpoint accurately. Then probe for the target and retrieve with as little disturbance to the ground as possible. It takes a little more time but digging holes in a park can cause a lot of problems for you and other detectorists! More and more parks and other places are being closed to metal detectors because of the damage being done. Even if you fill in the hole (you did, didn't you?) it will leave a dead spot. Especially in dry ground. A lot of holes equals a lot of dead spots! When I hunt, I check in with whomever is in charge and assure them that they will not be able to tell that I have been there.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magister
Congrats! But some criticism (hopefully constructive)! You should learn to pinpoint accurately. Then probe for the target and retrieve with as little disturbance to the ground as possible. It takes a little more time but digging holes in a park can cause a lot of problems for you and other detectorists! More and more parks and other places are being closed to metal detectors because of the damage being done. Even if you fill in the hole (you did, didn't you?) it will leave a dead spot. Especially in dry ground. A lot of holes equals a lot of dead spots! When I hunt, I check in with whomever is in charge and assure them that they will not be able to tell that I have been there.

Yeah, of course I filled the hole. My holes always look undisturbed. I use a small saw, like a drywall saw to cut the hole. And I do have a pinpointer, it rarely gets me to the exact spot. I always remove a large divot so I don't do additional damage.

This isn't my first dog and pony show. In my state it is 100% legal to detect in parks (this was a park), schools, and other public lands. Any time I've detected on private property I've always obtained written permission from the owner.

It doesn't leave a dead spot if your divot is deep enough that you have a layer of sod. This is exactly the reason I dig the way I do. I wish I had some before and after pics because you literally cannot tell that spot was dug.

I agree there are alot of people out there who ruin the hobby for the rest of us. I assure you I am not one of them.

Try digging a wider and deeper hole, like I do. This way you don't have to take an additional divot to the side if you were off by a couple of inches, and it provides a healthy, thick layer of sod that fits perfectly back in place.
edit on 5-5-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Then I s&f you, and I apologize if I caused offense! Good Hunting!

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Congratulations! I have found musket balls and once a ramrod from a pistol. But I spotted them by eye without a detector. My dad and I volunteered to pickup trash on the roadside here in Arizona and we filled three toolboxes with used tools, collected several hundred dollars in cash, got five propane tanks, one coleman stove, a surfboard, and numerous knives. In Colorado, I used to collect arrowheads by elevenmile resorvoir when the fishing was off. I also hunted petrified dinosaur bone and smoky quartz and topaz gemstones.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Congratulations! I have found musket balls and once a ramrod from a pistol. But I spotted them by eye without a detector. My dad and I volunteered to pickup trash on the roadside here in Arizona and we filled three toolboxes with used tools, collected several hundred dollars in cash, got five propane tanks, one coleman stove, a surfboard, and numerous knives. In Colorado, I used to collect arrowheads by elevenmile resorvoir when the fishing was off. I also hunted petrified dinosaur bone and smoky quartz and topaz gemstones.

Excellent, my great gramps was a lapiderist and general rock hound so as a kid we roamed the deserts in search of arrowheads and fossils. You couldn't take whole fossils but you can take unidentifiable chunks of fossilized bone. I wish I had some pics of my great gramps' shop and rock garden - I have a bunch of old kodak projector slides but I haven't had them converted yet...Putting that on the to-do list.

I'm thinking I should hit the highways.. I could use several hundred dollars and everyone needs more tools. =]

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Nice find TK

Now if only a rapper would loose a chain for you to find hehe!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Epic!! I've always wanted to go metal detecting... I live just over the border from TheDoctor46 in Cumbria + if you follow the line of Hadrian's Wall (massive Roman Wall for keeping the Scots out of England for those who don't know, sadly most of it is no more), the wall goes directly underneath the field out the back of my house. I've always wondered what goodies would be in there!!

How far into the ground can they detect??

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I can remember watching a program on metal detection and this guy used to regularly go over some beach in the USA and he'd got loads of stuff including platinum rings so on a dull day a visit to the beach could possibly be very profitable

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Outstanding... treasure hunting is so rewarding! Peopple who don't go looking for free stuff have no idea what that feels like.

I dive in dumpsters and recently finished a local curbside recycle program. I found hundreds of pounds of copper wire, aluminum, and stuff to sell at flea markets. Even a gold necklace. I would show it here but am afraid to put pictures on the internet.

Happy hunting!

Shhhh!! Don't tell people about "scrapping". My uncle and I do it constantly for some side money, people don't realize how much treasure is out there. Construction sites are a big source as well...just make sure to ask for permission and they will usually be happy to see you take away their "garbage". For them to get a big garbage bin hauled away costs them close to $1000.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Florasaurus

Mine has a depth meter, depending on the coil I can accurately tell the depth and the material up to 10 inches.

With a larger coil I would get deeper readings, but it would be less accurate getting me right on top of the buried item.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Yeah, I've seen some YouTube videos of guys getting a ton of stuff at the beach.. Sadly, I live in the desert and the nearest beach is 1500 or so miles away. =\

Next time I go to California I'll make it a less horrible experience by taking my metal detector. =]

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Cool, I might have to get me one of them...

I think I'd be a bit worried about detecting gold fillings in someone's teeth + digging up a dead body that someone buried

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join