It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A Colorado Springs man accidentally shot himself in the hand and leg Saturday after cleaning soda off of his handgun, police say. The victim was reportedly sitting in his car at 1500 Meadow Peak View when he spilled soda on his handgun. He wiped the soda off of the gun and went to replace the magazine when the gun accidentally discharged, police say. The man was injured in the left hand, the left thigh and the left calf, according to police. He was aided by a coworker who rushed to help and called an ambulance. The victim was taken to Memorial Hospital and is in “fair condition,” police say.
Originally posted by Krazysh0t
In order for a gun to fire, it needs to at the very least have a bullet in the chamber. This can be the case with or without a magazine in the gun. The safety also has to be off. HOWEVER, something as simple as hitting the back of the gun can cause it to discharge. You do not need to pull the trigger or accidentally depress it to have it go off.
This man is an idiot and violated two gun safety rules. Attempting to clean a gun without first unloading it and also not checking if the safety was on or not. He should get the Plaxico Burress award for gun ownership.edit on 5-5-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)
Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Dude should have cleared the chamber and safety checked before doing anything at all.
Originally posted by Mnemicrsl
This goes to prove background checks should be put in place. Not just for mental instability, but also for people with an IQ under 90. That was plain stupidity.edit on 5-5-2013 by Mnemicrsl because: Spelling