It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shoots self cleaning soda off handgun.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Two of Americas biggest killers!! Surely I kid. I bet Mayor Bloomberg would be frothing at the mouth about this one! Just wanted to pass this bonehead story along. A man shoots himself in the hand and the leg while he was cleaning soda off of his firearm.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A Colorado Springs man accidentally shot himself in the hand and leg Saturday after cleaning soda off of his handgun, police say. The victim was reportedly sitting in his car at 1500 Meadow Peak View when he spilled soda on his handgun. He wiped the soda off of the gun and went to replace the magazine when the gun accidentally discharged, police say. The man was injured in the left hand, the left thigh and the left calf, according to police. He was aided by a coworker who rushed to help and called an ambulance. The victim was taken to Memorial Hospital and is in “fair condition,” police say.

What was he doing with his gun out in his car? I wonder if he was preparing to commit a crime at the time? I must say, as a gun owner myself, I cannot envision a way this firearm could discharge. I dont believe a firearm will arbitrarily fire when you load the clip. A trigger must be pulled I believe. I may be wrong, so are there any experts on here that can answer that for me? Will a gun fire upon having a clip inserted into it without pulling the trigger?www.thedenverchannel.com...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In order for a gun to fire, it needs to at the very least have a bullet in the chamber. This can be the case with or without a magazine in the gun. The safety also has to be off. HOWEVER, something as simple as hitting the back of the gun can cause it to discharge. You do not need to pull the trigger or accidentally depress it to have it go off.

This man is an idiot and violated two gun safety rules. Attempting to clean a gun without first unloading it and also not checking if the safety was on or not. He should get the Plaxico Burress award for gun ownership.
edit on 5-5-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

well... easy. It had a chambered round and hes an idiot. Safety on or off is secondary to this accident.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This goes to prove background checks should be put in place. Not just for mental instability, but also for people with an IQ under 90. That was plain stupidity.
edit on 5-5-2013 by Mnemicrsl because: Spelling

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Well, this is sad but its not the first time and wont be the last time.

With freedom comes responsibilities and consequences.

Though I really dont like this term "accidental discharge".

Negligent discharge is more accurate.

Its almost impossible for a gun to discharge itself.

With a revolver, one has to squeeze the trigger, even if the hammer is manually cocked back.

With a semi-automatic handgun, a round first has to be chambered. Even then the trigger has to be pulled or there would have to be a malfunction with the firing pin.

edit on 5-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
In order for a gun to fire, it needs to at the very least have a bullet in the chamber. This can be the case with or without a magazine in the gun. The safety also has to be off. HOWEVER, something as simple as hitting the back of the gun can cause it to discharge. You do not need to pull the trigger or accidentally depress it to have it go off.

This man is an idiot and violated two gun safety rules. Attempting to clean a gun without first unloading it and also not checking if the safety was on or not. He should get the Plaxico Burress award for gun ownership.
edit on 5-5-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

^^ exactly this.

Dude should have cleared the chamber and safety checked before doing anything at all.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Dude should have cleared the chamber and safety checked before doing anything at all.

And because he didn't, he's not responsible enough to own any type of firearm.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Sounds like an accident.

.Yup.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

No name given in this report? Was the man underage or something? If this is reporting, then MSM can write anything they want and no one can dispute it.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
He didn't clear it before handling it. I bet he would look down the barrel too.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mnemicrsl
This goes to prove background checks should be put in place. Not just for mental instability, but also for people with an IQ under 90. That was plain stupidity.
edit on 5-5-2013 by Mnemicrsl because: Spelling

IQ has nothing to do with it.
In fact, many people with high IQ's are idiots when it comes to common sense. The most responible Firearm owners I have ever met (as a group- Not individually) were the Hillbillies in kentucky who were great people but probably of the lower IQ (not everyone in KY, I am speaking of a specific demographic I knew)

-They were great people, honest, more common sense than pretty much anyone I know and yet probably would not have scored high on an IQ test. IQ can be tested, common sense- Not so much.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This man is very lucky. Most people that stupid don't survive this kind of thing. C'mon, who in the world cleans a gun with bullets in it?

I just hope new gun laws won't come from this.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Even with a concealed weapons permit, the gun has to be inaccessible in the car. I am not sure of the particulars of the law. I think it is that way in all states.

new topics

top topics

join