It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words To Live BY; Understanding, Change, Difference and Expectations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Understanding, Change, Difference and Expectations

No matter what the situation is, these words ring true. There are other ways to say the same thing. It basically comes down to one very simple fact: you have no right to expect others to change or behave the way you want them too.

All you have is the right to decide for yourself how you want to behave or what you want to change about yourself. When we are disappointed by others it is because of our own expectations. We have difficulty understanding the difference.

I offer this bit of advice to anyone in order for them to deal with daily life and to help them recognize where the frustration they have is coming from; expectations of others. Control the expectations and the frustration is limited; allow the expectations to exist and count on being disappointed when they are not met.

This applies to expectations we have for ourselves too. Expecting unrealistic behavior from yourself is detrimental. Understand your limitations and set goals that are achievable, rather than setting yourself up for disappointment and failure that results in catastrophic mental breakdowns. Honesty with your self has to happen before making expectations about things you want to accomplish or change.

There will be those that say, "yeah but I have to dream big or reach for the stars" and I say that is great, but the level of expectations is the difference between acceptance of failure or allowing said failure to be diminishing in its capacity.

It is absolutely okay to have dreams and goals as long as you understand that those dreams and goals may not happen the way you want or without many obstacles in the way to overcome. If you expect the obstacles and they don't happen, great, but at least allow yourself to be prepared for them if they do.

GIVE ME THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND
THE THINGS I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER, (PEOPLE, PLACES & THINGS);

THE THINGS I DO HAVE CONTROL OVER,
(ME, MYSELF & I);

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
THE TWO!!

Soul

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Never let anyone stop you from revealing truth.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I like it. Star and flag for you.

My way of seeing expectations and idealizations is similar.

join