It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL phone calls in the US are recorded and accessible to the government, claims former FBI agent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I think we all knew this, but for someone on the inside to come out and admit it it?!?

ALL phone calls in the US are recorded and accessible to the government, claims former FBI agent

A former FBI counterterrorism agent has hinted at a vast and intrusive surveillance network used by the U.S. government to monitor its own citizens. Tim Clemente admitted as much when he appeared on CNN Wednesday night. Discussing the Boston Marathon attack and past telephone conversations of Katherine Russell and her now deceased husband, suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Clemente said that those conversations would be available to investigators.

The information comes out on CNN live!!

Clemente discussed the issue in this exchange with host Erin Burnett, as recorded by the CNN transcript.

BURNETT: 'Tim, is there any way, obviously, there is a voice mail they can try to get the phone companies to give that up at this point. It's not a voice mail. It's just a conversation. There's no way they actually can find out what happened, right, unless she tells them?'

CLEMENTE: 'No, there is a way. We certainly have ways in national security investigations to find out exactly what was said in that conversation. It's not necessarily something that the FBI is going to want to present in court, but it may help lead the investigation and/or lead to questioning of her. We certainly can find that out.'

BURNETT: 'So they can actually get that? People are saying, look, that is incredible.'

CLEMENTE: 'No, welcome to America. All of that stuff is being captured as we speak whether we know it or like it or not.'

Right on national tv...

It's like saying we do this and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it....

As I said I think we all knew this to be true so the information it's self is not that shocking... what is shocking is coming out and saying it in such a way it's like stating this happens and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

So much for the 5th amendment blah...

Korg.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well they apparently can't use it in court so that's at least something good.

I'd imagine they really can't monitor everything so will only look for conversations when they suspect something is going on.

Still I am unsure what the Court's ruling in this area is. They did recently rule that law enforcement cannot put trackers on people's vehicles and that would seem to set a precedence for this case.

Now that they admitted it we will have to see if it gets challenged in court.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The only place we truly have any privacy anymore is in our own thoughts. Get used to it.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

If true, once again, here they go being STUPID again. What would be the freaking purpose of recording all phone conversations ? They are obviously not stopping crimes from happening? And they aren't scaring us anymore leaking that they can do that kind of thing. Again, they are wasting everyone's time , invading everyones privacy for NOTHING.

And do they have warrants for this or did they get a little pass again from Congress to snoop on us ?

Oh.... and if this is true, why didn't they use it in the Jodi Arias Trial ? I mean, it would have helped to know what was said on Travis Alexanders very last phone call with the women who slashed him up. Oh, that's right. They don't care about actually preventing or prosecuting crime. They just wants the toys.

edit on 5-5-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well now.. See if he gets his invite to the next agent's reunion party..

Seriously though...That statement ought to have Congress doing some digging, Ala the Church and Pike committees of the 70's. The only agency I know of with that capability is not permitted by charter to operate against United States citizens. No Such Agency (NSA) is rather unique for the reach and storage capability. After all, they don't measure computer space at the NSA in server # but acres covered with their data farms.

..and that's before the super center in Tooele, Utah opens up with the largest intelligence collection facility on Earth. Oh joy...Imagine what they won't be collecting then?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Well they apparently can't use it in court so that's at least something good.

It think the only reason they can't use this in court is the 5th and 14th amendment. but it doesn't stop them from actually using this outside the court though does it?

geez what kind of storage requirements must there be on holding all digital data?? and for how long does this cache of data last before it's overwritten?

Korg.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I think that since 9/11 this (listening in) has been taking place; and most likely even before 9/11 happened.

Maybe the former FBI agent admitted this; and it was no big deal to TPTB that he did; because most people are aware of this information already.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
You don't need to use the conversation in court. If you are a target, they can use what is said to be at the right place at the right time and you may wonder why you got pulled over and searched, or just about anything, but that is how it is used.

And remember, every voice, data, fax, communication is recorded and stored at the NSA, and their new facility in Utah has enough storage to keep every communication for every man, woman, and child in the US during their life.

They also keep the satellite surveillance and can go back and review a specific location at whatever time and date they want, as long as the weather isn't blocking the view of cameras.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I think that since 9/11 this (listening in) has been taking place; and most likely even before 9/11 happened.

Maybe the former FBI agent admitted this; and it was no big deal to TPTB that he did; because most people are aware of this information already.

I bet your bottom dollar we hear some report in the not to distant future that this guy has committed suicide....

Korg.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
BTW, they haven't been using this in regular law enforcement. It is for intelligence purposes. However, they are trying to make it available to law enforcement. Basically, they are not going to have the manpower to listen to all the conversations, But, if they have a date and time period they are interested in, they will be able to access it and listen or read what you said or text messaged, etc. For the normal person not involved in any shady dealings, it is useless. But there are a lot of people that do text or say things about what they are doing and that can be used against them., not in court, but in figuring out how to catch you doing whatever it is you are doing.

edit on 5/5/13 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

I bet your bottom dollar we hear some report in the not to distant future that this guy has committed suicide....

Korg.

I think they want us to know. Fear factor and all. quickest way to change a population is get them to do it for you.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Considering what government has always been, this is not so surprising, and I have known about this for at least a decade anyway.

There won't be any real benefit to monitoring all of the chatter out there unless nearly all of the information can be processed in nearly real time, and the technology does not exist to monitor enough of the traffic to really do anything with it unless one is already flagged for closer scrutiny.

And then there are laws to keep authorities from abusing this information, kinda sorta.

There are more dangerous things to monitor than our silly meanderings on the cellphone anyway.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
And remember, every voice, data, fax, communication is recorded and stored at the NSA, and their new facility in Utah has enough storage to keep every communication for every man, woman, and child in the US during their life.

Just where are you getting your information from about this facility? I would love to have a look at the specs...

I've been in quite a few data centers in my time so would love to know this.

Korg.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Good that they reported it on the MSM, however coming out on MSM TV= conditioning for acceptance. Or at least what will be attempted. Times are changing

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
There are more dangerous things to monitor than our silly meanderings on the cellphone anyway.

what if say you said on the phone... "my mom said the queen is in town and invited us to tea... I almost said the f-bomb to my own mom"

Instantly the monitors will flag this thread for an intel op to have a look at it to see if there is any threat. obviously there isn't but still the process happens...

So it's not just threats that they know about and try and obtain further info on, it's the rest of us that get caught up in the middle so to speak.

Korg.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Echelon.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

Operational since the early 70's with ongoing evolution through development.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

The way I understand it...if key words are used in the same conversation, like.....bush, Obama, murder, stupid, then it starts to record.

For fun...we use to do that....then laff. So far no FBI have shown up to tell us to,stop playing around. lol

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
How I'd do it, have a data center, which US does have. Intercept all calls. Have software encode them into text to save up in space. Save indefinately.
Just saying

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
It's done in Canada so they don't have to worry about US laws and we have people here recording the neighbor to the north calls. Just business between spooks

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Here is a link to an article about the new facility in Utah.

NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

Under construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks.

This data center dwarfs what the NSA had in previous facilities.

Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.” It is, in some measure, the realization of the “total information awareness” program created during the first term of the Bush administration—an effort that was killed by Congress in 2003 after it caused an outcry over its potential for invading Americans’ privacy.

I worked in data centers also in the past. I never heard the term Yottabyte until this facility was written about.

Given the facility’s scale and the fact that a terabyte of data can now be stored on a flash drive the size of a man’s pinky, the potential amount of information that could be housed in Bluffdale is truly staggering. But so is the exponential growth in the amount of intelligence data being produced every day by the eavesdropping sensors of the NSA and other intelligence agencies. As a result of this “expanding array of theater airborne and other sensor networks,” as a 2007 Department of Defense report puts it, the Pentagon is attempting to expand its worldwide communications network, known as the Global Information Grid, to handle yottabytes (1024 bytes) of data. (A yottabyte is a septillion bytes—so large that no one has yet coined a term for the next higher magnitude.)

It needs that capacity because, according to a recent report by Cisco, global Internet traffic will quadruple from 2010 to 2015, reaching 966 exabytes per year. (A million exabytes equal a yottabyte.) In terms of scale, Eric Schmidt, Google’s former CEO, once estimated that the total of all human knowledge created from the dawn of man to 2003 totaled 5 exabytes. And the data flow shows no sign of slowing. In 2011 more than 2 billion of the world’s 6.9 billion people were connected to the Internet. By 2015, market research firm IDC estimates, there will be 2.7 billion users. Thus, the NSA’s need for a 1-million-square-foot data storehouse. Should the agency ever fill the Utah center with a yottabyte of information, it would be equal to about 500 quintillion (500,000,000,000,000,000,000) pages of text.

There is much more information in the article I linked above and below. It is just mind boggling what the state is bringing to bear upon the world's citizens. It is critical to remember that anything you communicate by electronic means will be stored away for later use against whomever is the target of the day. Hope this helps...

NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

edit on 7/5/13 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/5/13 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join