It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Labeling Bill Introduced by Boxer, DeFazio - Right to Know Act

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Consumer surveys show that 90% of Americans want it labelled and I think it is your right to know what is in your food.

What the majority of people want these days is irrelevant.

The governments these days do what THEY want, and then use politics and the media to influence the masses to try and gain support for it.
edit on 6/5/13 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I only came on to see which Boxer brought in the GMO labelling bill.
I thought I hadn't heard of Defazio.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by Unity_99

In all fairness I can find many credible studies showing there is no harm from gmo foods.

Depends which side you lean on.

So why don't you share them? Because you just want to 'share your opinion' and nothing else. I, and many others, could care less about your opinion because of the lack of substance and thought put into them.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'd love a "right to know" act to become reality.

However, the OP is saying this is a "bi-partisan" initiative -- yet there it doesn't seem like either of these two cosigners is a Republican.

I suppose if they don't try and filibuster it or burn it as a witch -- that's counts as huge bipartisan support these days.

Maybe if one of these wealthy foundations would throw some lobbying money towards this bill it can happen, but I don't see any way the "will and benefit of the people" has any sway in Washington.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Until I can purchase a pocket DNA tester, I can't be very sure of what is in my food.

I am not going to rely on any government agency to make sure that any food is GMO-free.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Hey Hopechest I put this thread up with you in mind...

Syngenta Charged for Covering up Livestock Deaths from GM Corn
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
All I want from Monsanto - is their assurance -

That I can still grow my gardens. I can still teach my children how to grow their own food, flowers, and trees. That we won't forget how to do the important things on our own - and their not going to take away the right to know those things. Canning, preserving, harvesting, tending your roots. Fishing, hunting. They don't look like important skills to remember - to the average bear maybe - but I think they are important to teach and remember. Who knows what the future will bring.

With that assurance - I'd have nothing left to be angry with Monsanto about. Simple really.

Cirque

Rather myopic considering this concerns the entire biosphere.

If that's all you want, I'm sure Monsanto could navigate that but doesn't really address any of the pertinent issues.

All I can do is my small part, within my legal bounds to due so.

I'm not super-girl.

I try not to endorse it, and I vocalize loudly that I think genetic munipulation - even the vaccine kind of manipulation - might not be good for us in the long run. Disease has run rampant and the the new diseases being discovered all the time have to be coming from somewhere. Sure we've eradicated the common child-hood sicknesses we heard about when are parents were young - but look what it's been replaced with and has been increasing rapidly over the past half a century. Since genetic manipulation began! Auto-immune disorders, bone diseases, neurological disorders, cancer, allergies, and a whole score of new diseases and it's not slowing down. At some point your going to look in your medicine cabinet and wonder - how is that all genetically manipulating ME. My chemistry, my wiring - and it clicks. There is mounting evidence that genetic manipulation of foods, people, organisms - might have long lasting detrimental effects on not only the human population - but the whole world.

I'm still only one girl. I'm not one of the one's tinkering away trying to play god. I don't have that desire really. I'd rather see common sense reign. Not - I'm doing it just to see if I can. Well maybe you shouldn't. I can do my part by educating myself and my children, and not endorsing it as much as I can. Sign petitions, take part in protest. Talk in public forums that speak to this issue. What more do you suggest I do?

Label your damn food. If your proud of your work as a scientist. Own it. Then if down the road it proves to be making us sick - own that too. And revert back to mother nature. She knows best.

Peace,
Cirque

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Under a non-Obama administration, republicans are normally for good farming practices but, you can almost bet they will oppose anything this administration is in favor of, just because lol. There's an obvious trend & agenda to oppose everything and anything the President supports, even if its policy that was originally conceived by their own party. They want to leave the perception that he couldn't get anything done, in hopes of taking the WH, when his term is up. Bad strategy, me says but who knows....the American public rarely knows what goes on in congress....if its not being talked about on reality TV.

Also, Monsanto sucks balls. True story.
edit on 6-5-2013 by WilliamOckham because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have nothing against GM foods, same with vaccine, if i want to jump on the doom paranoia, i have many others things. As a Micro student i did my own biotech project, including some GMO based ones, involving bacteria.

I think this whole "they are playing god, it must be evil" is just stupid. a fear of the unknown, "they are mixing two different stuff together, its unnatural, it must be up to no good"

Ill change my mind after i see a detrimental effect. Heck, sugar is more evil than GMO foods.

Even if they label such things, how is anyone going to understand it? bob from around the corner gonna know genus names and DNA scripts? even if he did, what is he going to do? how would he know what the effects would do? if there is any in the first place?

Also, you can already differentiate GMO fruits from regular and organic.

In Canada, GMO apples have a 4 digit codes, organic and natural have 5 digit code.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The fact that this is even an argument speaks to
just how powerful corporations are in the USA.

And this SHOULD be a non partisan issue.
This is something we can almost all certainly agree on.

***Brief Rant alert***
People who complain about Government Regulations
stifiling capitalism need to stop & realize;
Big Oil Big Pharma the NRA & Monsanto write their own legislation .
And love the fact that you are worried about their "freedom".
So these people defending them by saying it would be Un-American
to not let them sh** on us on a daily basis, well.. need to take that flag
and gag themselves with it.

STOP doing the dirty work for these handful of billionaires
with more power than 300 million citizens. They are doing just fine
on their own. REMEMBER they don't give a damn about your patrotism unless
it means more profit for them.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Even if they label such things, how is anyone going to understand it? bob from around the corner gonna know genus names and DNA scripts? even if he did, what is he going to do? how would he know what the effects would do? if there is any in the first place?

That's not the point. American citizens have a right to know what they are eating and to make their own decisions if they want to purchase that product or not. Companies hiding contents and/or GMO growing conditions is corporate tyranny. If you want to eat that **** then you have a right to but give everyone that option. My families health comes first, and I need information to make what I deem the right decisions.

It's called FREEDOM of choice....obviously a concept that escapes you. Pay some heed to my signature please.
edit on 6-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Dont' think they are doing because they give a rats rear about GMO. They are just backed some companies in CA that fund their elections and these companies profit off of selling non-GMO food.

non GMO food good
Senators voting to show if its GMO on food good

Senators does only to get money for reelection.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

There's nothing wrong with gm foods but if you have some proof of their danger I will gladly switch my opinion.

I do agree that they should be labeled though since the point about some low nutritional content I've also heard. I also think we should monitor the farming practices to catch any unfairness which is apparently occurring at times.

The food though is probably the future so it isn't going anymore. Once its more cheaply grown we can get rid of the farm subsidies, which are absolutely killing third world countries, and begin to start ending starvation as well as the economies of the world.

I'm all for gm foods.

Yeah right and that is why it is banned in the EU right?

because it is all fine and dandy.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You do realize that about 90% of food is genetically modified. right? If it can be genetically modified, it's safe to assume it is genetically modified.
Not sure why anyone would need it labelled. We don't all need to be afraid of our food...until some reliable evidence comes up that genetically modified food is harmful....and to date, that's not true.

We don't need to scare people who have no idea what GM actually means, there's enough of that to go around already.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Here are the Co-Sponsors of the Bill as of the release. www.boxer.senate.gov...

Senators Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Mark Begich (D-AK), Jon Tester (D-MT), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Brian Schatz (D-HI) and Martin Heinrich (D-NM) are cosponsors of the Senate bill. Representatives Jared Polis (D-CO), Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI), Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Donna Christensen (D-Virgin Islands), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Peter Welch (D-VT), James Moran (D-VA), Louise Slaughter (D-NY), Don Young (R-AK), Jim McDermott (D-WA), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Jared Huffman (D-CA), Jackie Speier (D-CA), Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Gerry Connolly (D-VA), George Miller (D-CA), David Cicilline (D-RI), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Grace Napolitano (D-CA), Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) and Ann Kuster (D-NH) are cosponsors of the House bill.

Dennis Kucinich introduced a similar bill in the House in 2011 and it stalled in committee.

The bill is not yet in Thomas as far as I can tell easily...

Do your homework kiddies.....

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
In Europe any product containing over 9% of GMO must be labeled. Why is the USA one of the last industrialized nations to join GMO labeling???? Money and Politics!!! For example 93 % of all corn in the USA is GMO, 86% of canola seeds are now genetically modified. This is a critical step for the US, and should not be politicized. The problem is that it WILL be politicized because they're are people out there, like farmers, that will spin it their way and claim it costs them more, much more!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I have nothing against GM foods, same with vaccine, if i want to jump on the doom paranoia, i have many others things. As a Micro student i did my own biotech project, including some GMO based ones, involving bacteria.

I think this whole "they are playing god, it must be evil" is just stupid. a fear of the unknown, "they are mixing two different stuff together, its unnatural, it must be up to no good"

Ill change my mind after i see a detrimental effect. Heck, sugar is more evil than GMO foods.

Also, you can already differentiate GMO fruits from regular and organic.

In Canada, GMO apples have a 4 digit codes, organic and natural have 5 digit code.

Well as a "micro student" I would disagree with you

The research that has been done showing some of the problems with gmo should be irrefutable.

Don't know how you can come to a conclusion otherwise.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

There's nothing wrong with gm foods but if you have some proof of their danger I will gladly switch my opinion.

I do agree that they should be labeled though since the point about some low nutritional content I've also heard. I also think we should monitor the farming practices to catch any unfairness which is apparently occurring at times.

The food though is probably the future so it isn't going anymore. Once its more cheaply grown we can get rid of the farm subsidies, which are absolutely killing third world countries, and begin to start ending starvation as well as the economies of the world.

I'm all for gm foods.

What a misleading statement, true but yet totally deceptive. The problem isn't that the food is GM, the problem is along the lines of what is being genetically altered. They are using GM techniques to GM pesticides into the crops. Not increasing nutritional value, but building pesticides directly into the crops.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join