It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Labeling Bill Introduced by Boxer, DeFazio - Right to Know Act

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

GMO Labeling Bill Introduced by Boxer, DeFazio - Right to Know Act

www.naturalblaze.com

Last week, Senators Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Peter DeFazio (D-OR) introduced the Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act, a bipartisan legislation that would require the FDA to clearly label all genetically engineered foods to better help consumers make informed decision
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Most Offspring Died When Mother Rats Ate GM Soy....
Scientist that discovered GMO health hazards immediately fired, team dismantled
Poland Beekeepers Win Ban on Monsanto's GMO!

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Maybe at last some good new regarding GM foods. The US senate has reconsigned peoples right to know what is food. I do not know if anything will come of this or why ithas taken 13 years to reach this stage.

Consumer surveys show that 90% of Americans want it labelled and I think it is your right to know what is in your food.

Some recent studies show that some GM products are very low in nutritional value in comparison to their conventional counterparts. Food is meant to provide you with nutrients not just fill you up. Nor are GM foods out compete traditional farming methods. I do not see a place for these products on food shelves. We are not test rats. This stuff should be kept in labs until we understand it better....

www.naturalblaze.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
too bad it'll just be swept under the rug once monsanto pays congress to dismiss it.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with gm foods but if you have some proof of their danger I will gladly switch my opinion.

I do agree that they should be labeled though since the point about some low nutritional content I've also heard. I also think we should monitor the farming practices to catch any unfairness which is apparently occurring at times.

The food though is probably the future so it isn't going anymore. Once its more cheaply grown we can get rid of the farm subsidies, which are absolutely killing third world countries, and begin to start ending starvation as well as the economies of the world.

I'm all for gm foods.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Great.
The time will come when everyone will say all life is sacred - that is...we need not modify its genetic structure to produce profits...which is the fundamental issue when all factors are concerned...& it is concerning in its current state of development.
There is no need now or ever for patented genes and its cousin privatized water...

“We strongly object that the image of the poor and hungry from our countries is being used by giant multinational corporations to push a technology that is neither safe, environmentally friendly nor economically beneficial to us. We do not believe that such companies or gene technologies will help our farmers to produce the food that is needed in the 21st century. On the contrary, we think it will destroy the diversity, the local knowledge and the sustainable agricultural systems that our farmers have developed for millennia, and that it will thus undermine our capacity to feed ourselves.”
– Statement signed by 24 delegates from 18 African countries to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, 1998
“If anyone tells you that GM is going to feed the world, tell them that it is not... To feed the world takes political and financial will.”
– Steve Smith, head of GM company Novartis Seeds UK (now Syngenta), public meeting on proposed local GM farm scale trial, Tittleshall, Norfolk, UK, 29 March 2000

LOVE

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meaningless
reply to post by Hopechest

[snipped]! It doesn't matter if GM food is good or bad, they're trying to control seeds. They don't care how much poisoned gets absorbed by corn, they want to be able to call it their own creation. It'll get to the point where we won't be allowed to grow anything natural, only what they offer us (which CLEARLY has detrimental affects on the environment and creatures that feed off them.)

I already mentioned that the farming aspect needs to be looked at to ensure fairness.

I was only saying that I have no problem with the actual product, the other issues involved are certainly serious however.
edit on Sun May 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
All I want from Monsanto - is their assurance -

That I can still grow my gardens. I can still teach my children how to grow their own food, flowers, and trees. That we won't forget how to do the important things on our own - and their not going to take away the right to know those things. Canning, preserving, harvesting, tending your roots. Fishing, hunting. They don't look like important skills to remember - to the average bear maybe - but I think they are important to teach and remember. Who knows what the future will bring.

With that assurance - I'd have nothing left to be angry with Monsanto about. Simple really.

Cirque

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
All I want from Monsanto - is their assurance -

That I can still grow my gardens. I can still teach my children how to grow their own food, flowers, and trees. That we won't forget how to do the important things on our own - and their not going to take away the right to know those things. Canning, preserving, harvesting, tending your roots. Fishing, hunting. They don't look like important skills to remember - to the average bear maybe - but I think they are important to teach and remember. Who knows what the future will bring.

With that assurance - I'd have nothing left to be angry with Monsanto about. Simple really.

Cirque

Actually those are very good skills to have. I was taught them all while I was growing up....knowing how to raise food is extremely important if you ever find yourself in a place for awhile either in a survival situation or even a bad economy.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see how far this goes.

I doubt it can get past the repubs in the house who are little more than corporate drones.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

It will be interesting to see how far this goes.

I doubt it can get past the repubs in the house who are little more than corporate drones.

The conservatives in the house will kill any bill by progressives even if it helps the American public or allows them information they should and need to know.

The GOPs agenda is so partisan that their focus is to ignore the public good in favor of following their leaders dictates......Rush Limbaugh and Hannity.

That's how much they hate Boxer and DeFazio!

edit on 5-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
There's nothing wrong with gm foods but if you have some proof of their danger I will gladly switch my opinion.

Hopechest, I totally expect you to attack the sources in favor of your complete support of the corporatracracy and the GOP and I don't even expect you to read anything that might alter your opinion but I thought it might be worth a shot.

www.theatlantic.com...

responsibletechnology.org...
www.naturalnews.com... www.doctoroz.com...

And my question to you Hopechest is....

Why are so many European countries banning GMO foods?
www.examiner.com...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by Hopechest

Hopechest, I totally expect you to attack the sources in favor of your complete support of the corporatracracy and the GOP and I don't even expect you to read anything that might alter your opinion but I thought it might be worth a shot.

www.theatlantic.com...

responsibletechnology.org...
www.naturalnews.com... www.doctoroz.com...

And my question to you Hopechest is....

Why are so many European countries banning GMO foods?
www.examiner.com...

I honestly don't know since I've never studied this issue in any depth. I can only offer you my personal opinion which is that I have yet to hear there is any danger to health from them so therefore I have no issue with them.

I agree that the seed issue and the labeling need to be dealt with but it appears there is enough research proving they are safe. Maybe not as nutritious but certainly safe.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Here is one of the overviews: www.huffingtonpost.com...

Here is one of the studies: www.ijbs.com...

Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others [4]. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity. This can be due to the new pesticides (herbicide or insecticide) present specifically in each type of GM maize, although unintended metabolic effects due to the mutagenic properties of the GM transformation process cannot be excluded [42]. All three GM maize varieties contain a distinctly different pesticide residue associated with their particular GM event (glyphosate and AMPA in NK 603, modified Cry1Ab in MON 810, modified Cry3Bb1 in MON 863). These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown. Furthermore, any side effect linked to the GM event will be unique in each case as the site of transgene insertion and the spectrum of genome wide mutations will differ between the three modified maize types. In conclusion, our data presented here strongly recommend that additional long-term (up to 2 years) animal feeding studies be performed in at least three species, preferably also multi-generational, to provide true scientifically valid data on the acute and chronic toxic effects of GM crops, feed and foods. Our analysis highlights that the kidneys and liver as particularly important on which to focus such research as there was a clear negative impact on the function of these organs in rats consuming GM maize varieties for just 90 days.

www.dailymail.co.uk... ml

Cancer row over GM foods as study says it did THIS to rats... and can cause organ damage and early death in humans

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... ml#ixzz2SRkEtDZ3

foodmatters.tv...

This week, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) called on “Physicians to educate their patients, the medical community, and the public to avoid GM (genetically modified) foods when possible and provide educational materials concerning GM foods and health risks.” They called for a moratorium on GM foods, long-term independent studies, and labeling. AAEM’s position paper stated, “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. They conclude, “There is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects. There is causation,” as defined by recognized scientific criteria. “The strength of association and consistency between GM foods and disease is confirmed in several animal studies."

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

In all fairness I can find many credible studies showing there is no harm from gmo foods.

Depends which side you lean on.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Search for this pdf: Potential adverse health effects of genetically modified crops (my mint linux won't let me open it in a way that procures the url).

There is information released breaking down the nutrients that have been deliberately shorted from GMO by a Canadian whistle blower, but I don't have hours to track it down. So this is a blog link, but anyone can research the names of the scientists if they wish a bigger more precise search, I'm not up to it today, too busy at the moment.

www.bloggernews.net...
A Genetically Modified Apple a Day Does Not Keep the Doctor Away

Some scientists opine that GMO apples have 76% less nutritional value than the chemical-free, organic version of the same food. A chemical-free, natural organic apple has significantly higher levels of all 21 nutrients analyzed compared with genetically modified fruits including vitamin C (27% more), magnesium (29% more), iron (21% more) and phosphorous (14% more).....

The Cauliflower Mosaic Virus is used because it is a powerful virus that cannot be destroyed during gene splitting. It is a retro-virus that alters the RNA, that causes changes in the DNA, resulting in similar viruses that ultimately become HIV, Leukemia Virus and hepatitis B. This is a very dangerous virus. Industry scientists ignore the axiom, “If you play with fire, you get burned.”

The virus is found in every cell of the DNA and RNA of the GMO apple and the residue in the apples stays in your gut and leads to Crohn’s disease, IBD and IBS.

Dr. Daniel C. Dantini, a noted expert on the topic of food allergies and intolerance, opines that, “Any virus, bacteria, parasite, or yeast can inflame the intestine.” This will lead to immune problems within the body, inflammation and even include delayed food allergies.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Interspecies mix! Adding frog genes to tomatoes to make them keep longer.

Rats to pork!

Insects to salmon!

And on top of the horror of all of this GMO also has become a pesticide free pseudo organic creation by putting the pesticides, which basically amount to an agent orange derivative or related chemical, directly in the dna of the food.

So, just a brief research job on GMO, reveals ALOT.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Yes, well, their own in house studies and quite frankly anything related to FDA, don't count. Its the independent ones that do.

Now if you wish to partake and feed your children this, go right ahead.

But I won't allow you to force feed me and mine this.
edit on 5-5-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Well if that is true it would certainly change my view on it.

I will look into it after I get finals week over with.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join