It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

747-400 Crash in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

A Boeing 747-400, a Dubai-bound cargo plane, terribly crashed at about 11:20 a.m. local time a few moments after its takeoff on Monday, April 29, at the Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan instantly killing the 7 onboard crew members. The victims have now been identified and the weather condition that day is reportedly considered as a possible factor of the plane crash as well as a cargo shift.

Source

A video has also been found showing the crash, captured by a dashcam. Video shows the 747 coming into frame at very high angle of attack, eventually stalling out, banking right abruptly and kicking the proverbial bucket. Warning: this video pulls no punches.

Video Source

It's incredibly chilling to see this enormous aircraft tossed about like a child's toy. I was initially suspicious of the video's accuracy because of how the aircraft almost flails about in post-stall, but reports say this is the real deal. Initial blame is pushed onto bad wind conditions and a potential cargo shift. I am inclined to agree because of the aircraft's unusually high angle and apparent lack of control. The only other thing I would say could set that chain of events in motion would be failure to actuate the elevators, mechanical or otherwise. Perhaps the strangest thing of the whole saga is the low-speed right bank, almost like an impossibly slow rudder hardover. It's very strange how the aircraft slows almost to a standstill, and then suddenly starts sucking itself around. News reports state that the weather was actually quite hostile despite its somewhat innocuous appearance in the video. Severe winds could certainly push a plane around, and an asymmetric wing stall can produce very violent manoeuvres, but it looks nonetheless very out of place on the jumbo jet. NTSB may have their work cut out for them putting this puzzle together.

Condolences to the families of the victims.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Dude this video and story has been posted already .. Perhaps the load shift change happened before the plane came into view

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkpr0

Im guessing because of its see-saw motion it is the cargo shift. This only remind me of why i like keeping my feet on ground.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkpr0

There's a discussion going on here that has some good information in it. Now we just have to wait for the Afghanistan Ministry of Transportation to release their report. The NTSB is there assisting, but they are letting Afghanistan take the lead on the investigation.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Please add to existing discussion in link posted above.

Thanks

new topics

top topics

join