It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Want Out?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
People are taking this so badly I've never seen anything like it, I've had people actually asking how much it costs for a house here and how one goes about emigrating to Canada.

So, a simple question for those who are not happy.

Do you want out? Would you leave America if you had the financial means?

Has America gone so far to the radical right that you no longer feel safe in your country, or worse...

Do you feel like you don't belong?

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Excellent topic Nerdling. Honestly... Yes. But I have family that is against the idea so I am out-voted. lol. I need to switch to a computerized system.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Since I base my personal decisions on reality instead of the mind-numbed dark fantasyland of commercial media and whacked-out Internet conspiracy theories, I really see no reason to even consider leaving the U.S.

Those who are dissatisfied enough to want to leave the U.S. may do so with my blessing. America is not for everyone.

Don't worry, there are plenty of people lined up to take your place. In fact, people still routinely risk everything they have, including their lives, just for the chance of maybe being able to live in the U.S. as an illegal immigrant.

They must feel pretty silly when they get here and find out that America is the most evil nation on Earth, worse than every other evil regime in history rolled up into one. At least, they would if that were actually true.

My advice for my fellow Americans who are feeling so disaffected is to stand up, turn off the computer, throw the TV out the window, stop believing every ignorant, bigoted complaint you hear about our nation and just go outside for a walk.

Meditation works wonders, too. It's amazing how well-grounded you can become if you simply give yourself time to think for yourself.

It is breathtaking to be a witness to just how cut off from reality otherwise intelligent, rational people can become when they stay plugged in to the Internet for too long. For a technology that makes information so accessible, it's ironic that it can also breed so much ignorance.

Take a few deep breaths and relax, and try not to work yourself into a self-absorbed frenzy. That sort of thing is bad for your health.

Getting all wrapped up in the collaborative fiction that is the media spotlight will kill you if you let it. Instead, step back a few paces and try to get a better look at the Big Picture.

It's called perspective, and I recommend looking into it.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well Nerdling, thanks for the invitation but knowing that Canada is just beautiful and cleaner, I do have my littler tropical caribbean Island and family living in there.

And I have to say that as long as bush keep wagging war around the world my husband has a secure job.

So I am stuck in here for now.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I just sit on my front porch and enjoy a cup of coffee and watch this fat squirrel come begging for food. And I think to myself..... hmmmm... do I have any ketchup?

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
As a canuck, I've received numerous questions about moving here. I don't suppose the enticement of Canadian Bacon has helped matters...

If people want to leave America, that's their bussiness. I can't judge them, and neither should everyone else. I know that I will welcome them with open arms.

DE

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Its really no reason to leave the country. Those that say that and actually do leave will probably come back. If I did have the financial means I would move to a blue state.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Doesn't matter what color state you live in. You still live under the oppressive control of the federal government. Only way to be free is to get out.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Hey, if you don't like it here....THEN LEAVE!!!!! No one is stopping you. However there are some of us who believe in a little piece of paper called the UNITED STAYES CONSTITUTION! And for once we have a President who believes that also. Don't like it...LEAVE. Then it will be better for the rest of us. Seen the county by county map from USA Today??? Except for a few blue spots its all RED!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
*can I write damn and get away with it* Really wise words for all people, no matter WHO was elected this term. The lies and the propaganda are so thick in America right now that a person could slice it with a knife. But as long as people continue to believe and feed on all of it, it will only get thicker. This is like building a new form of reality that, it's know wonder some people feel despair and anguish.

I think it's good for a person to express their feelings but if you don't have hard facts to back up why you're feeling this way, then WHY let yourself feel this way to begin with?? It's more the emotion in itself that is going to take a toll on you than anything Bush or Kerry could do.

No one is in control of your indidvidual life *yet* so why wish this into action. Live your life and stay in control. Don't lose your perspective or purpose because of all the things you read about Bush, otherwise you place yourself in a no win situation with your own dreaded self fulfilling prophesy.

And I don't think moving to another country can really put you at ease. That is something you have to do inside yourself. That's something I have to work on as well, even though I am not in America, I'm still an American.

[edit on 11/4/04 by magestica]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Its people like Bush that have turned our constitution into toilet paper.

"President who believes that also" give me a break. Does the Patriot Act ring a bell? We are no longer a free country. Most items in the constitution were basically voided by the Patriot Act. They (the feds) will use terms like "terror" and "national security" to circumvent all parts of the constitution. You don't live in America anymore. You live in a communist version of it. The USA as it was known in the 1800's and early 1900's is gone.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I got a feeling that almost all of those with the means to "Get Out",..

Still prefer to stay.

After all, it's still the best damn country there is.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Smirkley.... I have the means. Just gotta convince the wife.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Majic, that was an extremely good post. I find it scary that some people seem to actually believe most of what they read on the internet

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
does seem as though it gets worse and worse by the day. After 4 years and 2 days of watching this country take a nose dive, I am feeling its time to expatriate. The man had 4 years to show us it would get better, and all he did was make a giant mess of everything.
To answer the original question, yes- if I had the means I would be out of here. However, nothing means more to me than my friends and family. Guess I don't think they should be "left behind." sigh...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
I got a feeling that almost all of those with the means to "Get Out",..

Still prefer to stay.

After all, it's still the best damn country there is.

Exactly. The grass is always greener. Example:

Canada - First off it's a great place and I've always felt welcome there as an American. But, they have a fair amount of taxes too (income and GST) and people complain about their healthcare just as they complain about the state of American healthcare (People will complain about healthcare anywhere. People bitch about their government just like they bitch about ours.

We have a high standard of living here. Yes things cost more, because we have a high standard of living. Do you think you can go elsewhere and work in a factory and make $40, 50, 60 thousand dollars? There are several members of my wife's family who make more than me with OT and they gladly work the OT because of the standard of living it gets them -- their wives stay home and raise the children. Is that possible in other places -- maybe, maybe not.

I recall Alec Baldwin proclaiming that if Bush won in 2000 he was leaving the country. Did he? No, and when challenged about that he claimed he was misquoted.

Any central New Yorkers forgive me for using a Baldwin as an example. They grew up in North Syracuse area and are godlike here it seems.

I'm not going to say leave if you feel that way because then that would apply to several members here expressing that opinion that I happen to respect. But, come on now ...

What you witnessed on Tuesday is an expression of the current ideology of the country. We are free to have our own religion and what you're seeing is an aggregation of those religions agreeing on common points. I personally don't practice mine like the Church says I should but we are each free to practice ours as we believe.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 4-11-2004 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Doesn't matter what color state you live in. You still live under the oppressive control of the federal government. Only way to be free is to get out.

All of my family, most of my friends, voted for Bush. My father told me that i was making a mistake voting for Kerry. Got into a religion thing as most people in my area are very religious. Maybe if I moved to a Blue state i could find respect for my opinions and/or support.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hello everyone...greeting from the other side of the big pond. So I'm a long time observer deciding to get my feet wet for the first time and write some of my own thoughts. I'm American living abroad and because I have first hand experience with leaving the motherland I thought why not? No I didn't leave because I was afraid or didn't like America. I left because I could. I never wanted to live my life on this planet without experiencing life somewhere else. Oh sure we can go on vacations and see what other places are like, but we never really get to experience other lifestyles and cultures. America is great, trust me there are days I miss it. I miss the ability to get anything you want whenever you want it. I miss highways you can go fast on and Bakers Square french apple pie. But I don't miss the rat race. I don't miss the stress of American lifestyle and the debt that comes with it. And god knows I don't miss those winters in the midwest. I say if you get the opportunity to try life somewhere else go for it. It's a very big planet out there and there is much to see. Don't buy into the stereotype that America is the only great place to live. But where ever you go expect for it to be much different then America, but yet so influenced by America. Expect to wait a little longer for most things, but everyone is in a hurry when they drive...Philippine drivers are crazy...lol

Cebu

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm thinking about it...the thing is, it would be like starting all over again, at my age....and then, my roots here are a deeper than most I guess....it's hard, I have never felt like this becuase of a lost election before...but Bush is a scary, scary man!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join