It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO over Montreal some 50 minutes ago ( At around 10:50PM Eastern time )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Hi all,

I was outside smoking a cigar some 50 minutes ago, when a little flash of light caught my attention.

I turned my head to see a light the size of a star that was flickering. At first, it looked like the lights seen on planes, but it was only white. Quickly, the light, still flickering, started to fade to complete black, then 10 seconds later, it reappeared, flashing faster than it faded out, and flared very intensely.

I called my girlfriend so she could see it too. The sky remained clear, but some 10 to 15 seconds later, it reappeared, still flashing quickly, and again, it flashed with intensity, but much much more than the first time, remaining alight for a whole second. Of course, I have no idea how far it was, there were no discernible sounds accompanying it, but that flash, to us, was a good 5 to 6 millimeter ( a quarter of an inch ) in diameter.

It faded again, and our daughter then joined us. It reappeared some 30 seconds later, doing the same things, but this time the flash was short and not as strong as the first one.
It was going out of our view because of the house. I went to the back and watched the sky for 10 minutes, but it was not seen again.

Its "flight path" was north-north-west. The whole lasted 2 minutes, and it was slow moving, from our pov. Not faster than a plane, anyway.

----

We had the impression something had impacted the atmosphere, and was bouncing on it until complete annihilation, but in slow motion, kind of. Also in the time frame it was seen, from our pov, it covered a distance of about 40 centimeters. ( 15 inches )

No I didn't take any pics nor filmed it. I almost had time to adjust my binoculars before it left us for good, though...

meh! It was still a nice change from daily routine... lol

Thanks for your time, salut!

Nowan

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Probably an iridium flare

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

saw the exact same thing here in Boston, same time frame. I could not describe it better than you have.

I wondered about an iridium flare but it’s too late at night? Also it looked as described and not that video.

there was one single flash also about 25 min later, not repeating like the first.

I saw a streaking meteor 2 days before in the same area of the sky that was the same bright white color. Perhaps they were "bouncers", skipping across the top of the atmosphere?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Boston

I wondered about an iridium flare but it’s too late at night? Also it looked as described and not that video.

From the op

light the size of a star that was flickering

the light, still flickering, started to fade to complete black, then 10 seconds later, it reappeared, flashing faster than it faded out, and flared very intensely

still flashing quickly, and again, it flashed with intensity, but much much more than the first time, remaining alight for a whole second

Thats exactly what an iridium flare looks like. I posted that video as an example, they all act in a similar way but may be visible longer or shorter depending where you are in the world, or country. Have a look on youtube for more examples of iridium flares and you will see what i mean about the slight differences between them

edit on 4-5-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Thanks to both of you.

Well, it looked nothing like in the video. The flickering of the light was slower than what we saw in the video you linked.

Do you know what the ISS flight path was for today? And does the ISS fly from south to north?

PS: Sorry, I fell asleep, that's why I was a bit long to answer... lol :/

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
Thanks to both of you.

Well, it looked nothing like in the video. The flickering of the light was slower than what we saw in the video you linked.

Do you know what the ISS flight path was for today? And does the ISS fly from south to north?

PS: Sorry, I fell asleep, that's why I was a bit long to answer... lol :/

haha no problem, nothing like a good nap

Im not sure of the location but there is tracking websites that can give you an idea of whether it was the ISS or not, heres a link (im in the UK time difference is a problem for me to work out...i need a sleep myself lol)

Have a look at this, not sure if you can go back to a certain time, but im sure there are other sites that may be of assistance (google Iss tracking or similar)
www.isstracker.com...

edit on 5-5-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the link.
I watched and I doubt it would have been the ISS as it goes more from west to east, and at the time of the sighting, it was "below" south-America, at the opposite of where I am and where I saw it.

BTW, what is the use of the ISS iridium flare? I had not heard of that before.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
This is a very much like what I saw, only 3 “winks” in a straight flight path.

youtu.be...

I could understand the interval between the flashes as the satellite in a spin I guess. I am puzzled by a few things.
Is it not a bit late in the evening for this? I thought you needed to be nearer sunset / sunrise for the reflection of sunlight.
I also did not think you would have the altitude for the flare to be seen in both Montreal and Boston ( my understanding of the height may just be well off and related also to the first question…)

Anyway was cool.
and always good not to be the only one to see something.
edit on 5-5-2013 by Boston because: fix link

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Yes it is cool! I was surprised you saw it too from Boston. I was wondering if someone else did.

I wonder if its distance could be found from where we both are.... I don't have the know how to do that though...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
Thanks for the link.
I watched and I doubt it would have been the ISS as it goes more from west to east, and at the time of the sighting, it was "below" south-America, at the opposite of where I am and where I saw it.

BTW, what is the use of the ISS iridium flare? I had not heard of that before.

Iridium flare is the term used for satellite glint, its associated with the Iridium communication satellites.
There are 66 of them in use that are used for satellite phones and a few spares just floating about, thats why satellite phones can be used anywhere on earth pretty much...as long as you are above ground of course lol

There was supposed to be 77 of them..they get their name from the atomic number.

The ISS reflects light too, as do some of the other satellites that orbit the planet. If they have reflective panels or antennas they sometimes catch the light which can sometimes be seen from all the way down here. Thats why sometimes you will see what appears to be a dull star moving across the sky.

new topics

top topics

join