It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest nation - #1 democracy - zero credibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Why o why does every other sentence any American president utters has to include the line 'America is so great'? Do they think the people still need convincing? I think not, beause whenever I hear ordinary Americans voice their opinion on anything, you can bet your bottom dollar that in the space of thirty seconds you'll hear the same line at least once (this is a broad generalisation, but I hope you can see where I'm going with this).

I truly don't understand why this mantra seems to give you so much satisfaction. I guess it fills many of you with a sense of pride to belong to such a great nation.

Now, I know America is a country of immigrants, but how many of you actually had a choice in the matter of becoming an American? I can understand that people who left everything behind in another continent, and are trying to build a new life in an unfamiliar place, like to bond with each other and congratulate themselves for having left poverty, persecution or dictatorship behind.

I'd say that for the vast majority of you this does not hold true. So you're proud to have been born in the USA. Did you yourself do anything to deserve this honor? No!

So next time you feel the need to be proud, be proud because you're good at you're job, because you're a good father, a good husband, or because you're a good person.

In short, be proud and try to be a decent human being.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think there is no country in the world "greater" then America. What makes a country great is how it compares to all of your other choices not on how you think the country should be. Now what makes a country "great" is the question. From what I have gathered on the definition of "great" America is the "greatest" Please name another country if you think otherwise.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
America used to be well respected around the world, but now the majority of people hate it. Funny what a few wars and dodgy elections will do to your image

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO
America used to be well respected around the world, but now the majority of people hate it. Funny what a few wars and dodgy elections will do to your image

Nothing stays on top forever...all things have their season....our government has not taken care of America wrongly assuming it will always be on the top of the heap.....now we are paying for it...and Dubya is at the reins

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
As an American, I kinda like hearing that my country is great, alot.

A pleasant reminder, and always welcome to hear, as it is true.

As far as not having a choice, I am just glad and thankful that my countries' forefather's fought and died to give me the right to posses this honor, without question.

[edit on 4-11-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
I am just glad and thankful that my countries' forefather's fought and died to give me the right to posses this honor, without question.

Well my forefathers didn't....our land was taken from us...and this is only land we know....and it has become a joke.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Many countries had their eye on this land back in the beginning.

I cannot suggest that they would have done any better or worse.

But it would have been one of them eventually.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
America is the #1 democracy. A #1 democracy doesnt elect runners who have less votes than their opposition.

Remember, a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth, thats why they always come up with this America is the best crap.

Thats why most of the population believe the US is the best country in the world despite the fact that the majority have never been abroad.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
America is the #1 democracy. A #1 democracy doesnt elect runners who have less votes than their opposition.

Silly me, I thought Bush won by more then FOUR MILLION VOTES.. huh.. what was I thinking.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Why is it that the US never exports its variety of democracy?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Nothing stays on top forever...all things have their season....our government has not taken care of America wrongly assuming it will always be on the top of the heap.....now we are paying for it...and Dubya is at the reins

The difference IMHO is that fact that if you look at the "fallen empires" one element that you lack is diversity. America is more than a country, its a concept. The diversity is endless and from that there is a strength.

[edit on 11/6/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
personally i dont judge our country by what other countries think of us. we should spend less time worrying about what france, germany and co think about us and do what we think we should do.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
As an American, I kinda like hearing that my country is great, alot.

A pleasant reminder, and always welcome to hear, as it is true.

As far as not having a choice, I am just glad and thankful that my countries' forefather's fought and died to give me the right to posses this honor, without question.

AMERICANS say their country is the best because the media and the white house says it's the best for many many years...with the flag on the garden, independance day, they do everything to make u think that ur country is the best! Patriotism in american is soooo strong, the more u hear ur country is the best, the most u beleive it, that is called brainwashing

I love my country, Canada, but no one ever told me on the media or in politics that is was the BEST....Canadian make no discrimination, we take every nation as a good nation and we are not SNOB saying "we are better than you dude, haha..." Americans need to beleive that NO COUNTRY is better than any other, a country is made of indivuduals, good and bad...

AM I the only one who's heart is full of love for planet earth??????????? WHY ARE U GUYS fanatism of "virtual borders" U need to travel a bit and find out that every country has a place in this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND PLEASE, Money is not a way to mesure if a country is good or not!

Amelia
Peacexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Remember, a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth, thats why they always come up with this America is the best crap.

Thats why most of the population believe the US is the best country in the world despite the fact that the majority have never been abroad.

Again, for everyone who does not know this yet...WE ARE NOT A DEMOCRACY!!!!!

The reason we dont let popular votes decide national elections is because the STATES elect the president NOT THE POPULATION. This is to keep states like California and New York from dominating all political decisions. A state does NOT have to follow the popular vote during the election. Thats right, they can ignore who the voters pick. The election is just a way for the states to gauge who the people would LIKE to be the president. But in the end, the houses and governors in each state send their representatives to DC to cast the vote the way THEY tell them to.

The stupid news organizations in this country, and quite frankly the world, have consistently misrepresented the popular vote as having anything to do with electing the President.

If America were a democracy we would have broken up long ago..democracys are NOT stable. They are worse that communism, in my opinion. A representative republic, which is what we are, is one of the best forms of government (of course, all governments are bad things and a necessity I wish we could do without).

We dont spread democracy, another misrepresentation our media supports. We support and spread REPRESENTATIVE forms of government. This means the people in charge and at least indirectly held responsible for their actions by the populace.

Please try to understand this if you want to understand our country and why Kerry lost. The election was NOT close, most of the STATES did not want Kerry to be our president, popular vote tells you very little.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Oh...and you knew this was coming...America is the Greatest Nation on Earth!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I QUIT, I GIVE UP

O.k... you happy now all american in this world (YOU ARE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!) happy now happy now

I feel like a 10 years old child, fighting for a stupid candy, people are really childish

Since I'm on ATS, I start to beleive that HEY!!!, the states are not on planet earth, they are on planet AMERICA

You should make a petition to exclude your country from the globe, then I think we could all be the best country in the world! We are good people who do not think we r better than you, why don't you do the same!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Don't answer back to my post any body, I said I QUIT, YOu WIN, U R THE BEST

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
From what I have gathered on the definition of "great" America is the "greatest" Please name another country if you think otherwise.

I can name seven. IMO a country is great based on the quality of life for its citizens. Norway, Sweden, Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Belgium and Iceland all provide better quality life. The differnece is in these countries is you are not bombarded with being told how great you are. If you are so great then why do you have to hear it everyday non stop, just trying to be convinced.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wask
I can name seven. IMO a country is great based on the quality of life for its citizens. Norway, Sweden, Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Belgium and Iceland all provide better quality life. The differnece is in these countries is you are not bombarded with being told how great you are. If you are so great then why do you have to hear it everyday non stop, just trying to be convinced.

I agree. Life quality and morality are the main questions. The quality of life is very good in the US (as far as I know from relatives), but the morality...

new topics

top topics

join