It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to Stay in Afghanistan after 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has come back home from Europe. But, the visit was not the main topic of his press conference in his palace.

It was the future of the US military presence in the war-torn country. Karzai publicly announced that the United States can keep its bases in Afghanistan beyond the 2014 withdrawal deadline.

Other politicians strongly reacted.
Fatana Ishaq Gailani is from a very well-known political family here. She is strongly opposed to the US war in her country.

Fatana is calling for an immediate end to the conflict. And to her, the US future military involvement means more chaos. She says, no one can build this country, but Afghans themselves.

The conflict in Afghanistan is considered as the longest war in the US history.
Washington has reportedly spent over 517 billion dollars so far, with scores of American forces killed in the war.

But 12 years on, attacks by Taliban militants still take heavy toll. Corruption is rampant. Over 50 percent of Afghans live below the poverty line. Unemployment is also forcing young people to leave their country.

President Karzai expects the US to tackle all these problems in his country, if it wants long-term military bases here. Endurable peace is his number-one condition. Washington is also seeking legal immunity for American forces. So, talks are ongoing between the two sides. And if they reach a consensus, a security deal will be signed. However, they have not specified any deadline for signing it as of yet.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has come back home from Europe. But, the visit was not the main topic of his press conference in his palace.

It was the future of the US military presence in the war-torn country. Karzai publicly announced that the United States can keep its bases in Afghanistan beyond the 2014 withdrawal deadline.

Other politicians strongly reacted.
Fatana Ishaq Gailani is from a very well-known political family here. She is strongly opposed to the US war in her country.

Fatana is calling for an immediate end to the conflict. And to her, the US future military involvement means more chaos. She says, no one can build this country, but Afghans themselves.

The conflict in Afghanistan is considered as the longest war in the US history.

Washington has reportedly spent over 517 billion dollars so far, with scores of American forces killed in the war.

But 12 years on, attacks by Taliban militants still take heavy toll. Corruption is rampant. Over 50 percent of Afghans live below the poverty line.
Unemployment is also forcing young people to leave their country.

President Karzai expects the US to tackle all these problems in his country, if it wants long-term military bases here. Endurable peace is his number-one condition. Washington is also seeking legal immunity for American forces. So, talks are ongoing between the two sides. And if they reach a consensus, a security deal will be signed. However, they have not specified any deadline for signing it as of yet.

www.presstv.ir...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
But but but....

I'm SHOCKED!

(actually..I made a note of this clip specifically because I knew at the time he was lying through his teeth...and I'm only surprised by how quickly they've gone back on it.)

Another story out by Reuters a short time ago says Karzai confirms the CIA Station Chief in Kabul has agreed to keep the "bags of money" flowing to his personal office. So....I'm just shocked. We're staying and the bribe money by the bag full will keep flowing.

Whoda thunk it?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Another story out by Reuters a short time ago says Karzai confirms the CIA Station Chief in Kabul has agreed to keep the "bags of money" flowing to his personal office. So....I'm just shocked. We're staying and the bribe money by the bag full will keep flowing.

Whoda thunk it?

Money is one issue,drugs is another(also more money),gotta keep the whole war on drugs alive and kicking which helps with "order out of chaos" on streets as well.

Afgan heroin and the CIA

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Correct, but it all boils down to money regardless of the various reasons: opium trade, trans-Afghan pipeline, access to the Caspian Sea, world's largest Lithium deposits, natural gas reserves etc.

The US will never leave.

They have destroyed their own economy and currency. The only thing they have left is the war industry abroad and the domestic police state industry within.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I wonder if Obama polishes his Nobel peace prize....

new topics

top topics

join