Secret WWII message from POW uncovered and decoded after 70 yrs

page: 1

join

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Another secret message from WWII that was overlooked. This time it was from a POW, hidden in messages sent home to his family. Finally discovered and decoded after seventy years by a researcher.

The submarine in a 'vegetable patch': Code in letters sent home by British PoW in WWII to help Allies is revealed after 70 years

The letters sent back home by Sub-Lieutenant John Pryor from a German prison camp seemed innocent enough.

They often started with 'My Dear Mummy & Daddy' and talked about mundane things such as gardening and a 'vegetable patch'.

But the British wartime letters actually contained hidden messages, which have only now been deciphered by academics.

Those letters contained secret messages for the British military - and involved a fiendishly complex alphanumeric code.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

That’s pretty cool. It’s always amazed me as to the ingenuity of the human to communicate in secret.

But of course, that same ingenuity also leads to conflict. And thusly, conspiracies are born.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

What an interesting article and a delicious mystery. I'm not surprised that at 91 he didn't remember the code or write about it. Even with the code in front of me, I found it complex. I wonder when his family realized the letters contained a secret message?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Mr Pryor wrote his memoirs in 1980 and attempted to include extracts of the letters but by then could not remember how the codes worked - and never told his family about them.

The secret codes were deciphered after his son Stephen Pryor, a chancellor at Plymouth University, showed the letters to a PhD student studying PoW escape plans.

His son said he did know about of the code content and must have sought out someone's help.

new topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum