It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There a Fail-safe? A Way to Know If You're Wrong?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by NorEaster

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by TheomExperience

Ok so back to the subject, in your experience have you discovered a fail safe? A way to know that your wrong?

No. I wish I could, but I haven't been able to find such a fail safe. It helps to have a theory challenged, and to be required to explain it in detail, but in this case, that would take hours of one-on-one, and with a professional logician who is also well versed in physics and neurobiology.

Are you saying that you cannot be sure that you are right?

I'm saying that anyone in my position right now would need disinterested verification.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueApple
There is no fail safe. As far as we know. : )

That is the beauty and magic of being a thinking human being.

And the foolishness of having convictions about anything. We simply can't avoid theorizing about the world, but I think it's cuz we're meant to.... we just haven't unraveled the Mystery...

yet

Saying that, there are things you can do to keep your mind in check. And I think you have to revisit your beliefs over and over again and challenge them over and over again (in a real, meaningful way). It's also good to create your criteria by what amount and type of evidence you require to believe a specific point.

It's also just plain okay to be on the fence about something, maybe leaning toward one opinion but not giving in entirely. There isn't a ton of value to giving into a belief system so fully, you need to be willing to change it upon new evidence. That is your test, sort of.
edit on 9-5-2013 by BlueApple because: (no reason given)

Oh that this were simply a belief system.

This either IS the factual basis of physical reality or it's not. That's not a belief system. It's the actual physical sub-structure that sits beneath all of us. It's a pretty big deal. Or not.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

And the foolishness of having convictions about anything. We simply can't avoid theorizing about the world, but I think it's cuz we're meant to.... we just haven't unraveled the Mystery...

yet

Saying that, there are things you can do to keep your mind in check. And I think you have to revisit your beliefs over and over again and challenge them over and over again (in a real, meaningful way). It's also good to create your criteria by what amount and type of evidence you require to believe a specific point.

It's also just plain okay to be on the fence about something, maybe leaning toward one opinion but not giving in entirely. There isn't a ton of value to giving into a belief system so fully, you need to be willing to change it upon new evidence. That is your test, sort of.

What your prescribing is an endless walk in the dark. It doesn't matter what a person has learned, or what knowledge he holds in his Mind, if he limits himself to that information only, he will never find truth, never know it and will continue to ask questions and walk as a blind man.

There is not one single human being in the history of the world, that has found the answers to these questions. including Buddha, Jesus, Krishna or any number of beings. However, the difference is that the Sages found out the source of the question, which led them to seeing the illusion of the questioner..and transcendence of their minds. It is only from that point, can truth be seeing and observed.

But you will find out, that the Mind will always lead you on an endless journey to find answers. For thousands of years, the collective minds of humans have been doing just that. Yet nobody knows anything......yet.

There is a higher knowing, but it does not come from any concept formed within the mind. It is practical, simple, it hides behind every thought in the mind and in the appearance of the phenomenal world.
edit on 9-5-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

Okay, this - this is an example of a belief system. This is sort of a squishy, subjective notion, and that's not at all like what I'm trying to validate. There's nothing definitive about declaring the Mind to be lost in its own musings. Philosophical...sure, but not definitive.
edit on 5/9/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

yet

What your prescribing is an endless walk in the dark. It doesn't matter what a person has learned, or what knowledge he holds in his Mind, if he limits himself to that information only, he will never find truth, never know it and will continue to ask questions and walk as a blind man.

There is not one single human being in the history of the world, that has found the answers to these questions. including Buddha, Jesus, Krishna or any number of beings. However, the difference is that the Sages found out the source of the question, which led them to seeing the illusion of the questioner..and transcendence of their minds. It is only from that point, can truth be seeing and observed.

But you will find out, that the Mind will always lead you on an endless journey to find answers. For thousands of years, the collective minds of humans have been doing just that. Yet nobody knows anything......yet.

There is a higher knowing, but it does not come from any concept formed within the mind. It is practical, simple, it hides behind every thought in the mind and in the appearance of the phenomenal world.

Okay, this - this is an example of a belief system. This is sort of a squishy, subjective notion, and that's not at all like what I'm trying to validate. There's nothing definitive about declaring the Mind to be lost in its own musings. Philosophical...sure, but not definitive.

But you are using your mind to try to figure out the nature of reality. Everything goes back to your mind. You cannot escape it, even if you'd like to.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

This is a play of Maya. Truth is beyond the phenomenal world. The observable world, including the thoughts, ideas and concepts of understanding within the mind, is Maya. Every conclusion about reality or truth that is drawn from the observations of this phenomenal world, including the images and concepts in your mind, is Maya....and illusion. Forming beliefs and conclusions about that illusion..creates dellusion.

Knowledge is a human activity and is a subject/object relationship. To say something cannot be known means there is no knowledge about it.

Despite your assertion that convictions are illusions, you're still quite convinced that your "Maya" is truth. This is a contradiction and bears examination.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

yet

I heard from a known Sage, that the Mind is society's trash bin. Having witnessed beyond the mind, I wholeheartedly agree. And I hold no beliefs about anything.

All of the knowledge and ideas we hold in our mind, and the theories and philosphies we form around them, are just repackaged and reformed versions of old knowledge, old ideas and old philosophies. Customized for the individual... Yet, If you take all of the knowledge that has been passed down through thousands of years, the intellectual man still has no clue, who he is, or what he is. He has ideas, philosophies, and theories..and religions, but yet he still has no clue about the Ultimate truth.

The only knowledge that answers ALL of these questions (which all sprout from the root 'who am I?' or 'what is this?'), is that which leads a person out of the illusion of self and delusion of mind. And this knowledge continues to be ignored by the better part of humanity, who are still trying to figure this reality out by sifting through ash and employing the use of their personal trash bin..their thinking minds.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

But you are using your mind to try to figure out the nature of reality. Everything goes back to your mind. You cannot escape it, even if you'd like to.

And yet, as I did prove within this very thread, there are factual basics that can be known by way of what is true and can't be responsibly dismissed. Like the fact that you exist and that you observe. There are ramifications that exists due to the fact that you do exist. These ramifications can be examined and inferences can be established. They must be responsibly drawn, but they are knowable, and they can lead one to further knowledge concerning what is real and objective. It's not an easy effort, but it's not impossible.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The only knowledge that answers ALL of these questions (which all sprout from the root 'who am I?' or 'what is this?'), is that which leads a person out of the illusion of self and delusion of mind. And this knowledge continues to be ignored by the better part of humanity, who are still trying to figure this reality out by sifting through ash and employing the use of their personal trash bin..their thinking minds.

Whoever is teaching you that the pursuit of ignorance is the path toward wisdom is trying to turn your mind into a trash bin. Your thinking mind IS your mind, whether you agree that it is or not. You have only the one mind. It's a nasty little cult that teaches its adherents to turn off their thinking and submit to their version of wisdom. That's classic authoritarianism. That's not enlightenment.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If you think you are wrong all the time than you are probably wrong. Nobody can be that bad. If you think you are right all the time you are probably wrong. Now that I confused myself, I forgot what I was commenting on.
Oh that's right, I'm commenting on how to know if you are wrong
I don't know, I'll have to think about that for a couple of years.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

This is a play of Maya. Truth is beyond the phenomenal world. The observable world, including the thoughts, ideas and concepts of understanding within the mind, is Maya. Every conclusion about reality or truth that is drawn from the observations of this phenomenal world, including the images and concepts in your mind, is Maya....and illusion. Forming beliefs and conclusions about that illusion..creates dellusion.

Knowledge is a human activity and is a subject/object relationship. To say something cannot be known means there is no knowledge about it.

Despite your assertion that convictions are illusions, you're still quite convinced that your "Maya" is truth. This is a contradiction and bears examination.

Scientists are trying to find the answer to the source of matter. The rabbit hole has revealed the quantum nature of the manifested Universe....in other words...the Higgs.  Their search for the understanding of matter and thus existence, is still on going, so as it stands..you don't even know what you are..forget about the 'Who'. And since you have no confirmed scientific evidence that you even exist in time and space, what hope of you claiming to know anything else of the external world?

So what are you? Every aspect of your physical form, sprouts from the Higgs..or source. And scientifically it is shown to sprout from nothingness. 

So since you do not yet know scientifically, or (intellectually) what you are, how can you say you know anything at all?

All you are working with is your vision, your 5 senses, memory, knowledge and thinking power.  Truth can not be found in any of these. If you were even close to truth, (or even glimpsed it) you would know what I'm saying.

But don't take my word for it. The masters and sages have been saying it for ages. Everyone has the capacity to behold it themselves. You should really do some research on the word Maya. Also, there is something called transcendence of Mind, you should really check these topics out. I'm afraid that all you are doing on this forum, is outsmarting yourself. In fact, most of us who claim to know anything about this manifested Universe..are doing just that.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

So you, the sages, and the masters know but no one else does? Isn't your truth, your Maya, also discovered through your mind, senses and experience? Doesn't this put your "illusions" into serious doubt?

If I'm picking up what you're laying down, I should not believe myself but instead believe you and the sages who should not believe themselves, but who nonetheless do. This seems very dishonest.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Whoever is teaching you that the pursuit of ignorance is the path toward wisdom is trying to turn your mind into a trash bin. Your thinking mind IS your mind, whether you agree that it is or not. You have only the one mind. It's a nasty little cult that teaches its adherents to turn off their thinking and submit to their version of wisdom. That's classic authoritarianism. That's not enlightenment.

Thinking and intelligence are not one in the same. There is a higher intelligence that exists beyond the limitations of the thinking mind. You will find this to be true , I hope for your sake. But if you hold the Mind in such high regard, then you must disagree completely with what every master sage has said about it. Transcending the mind, is key to finding the answers we all seek. Only a person trapped in the Mind would think that it leads to ignorance. Quite the contrary, it leads you out of the delusion of your mind and false self/reality and allows you to see for the first time. It leads you OUT of ignorance.

But let's just disagree, I leave you to your mind and your philosophies, opinions and ideas.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

So you, the sages, and the masters know but no one else does? Isn't your truth, your Maya, also discovered through your mind, senses and experience? Doesn't this put your "illusions" into serious doubt?

If I'm picking up what you're laying down, I should not believe myself but instead believe you and the sages who should not believe themselves, but who nonetheless do. This seems very dishonest.

Truth isn't Maya. Truth is not discovered through the mind. Maya IS the mind. Truth is beyond it. I speak of no illusion, no form and no concept of reality..so the illusions that you claim to be mine, are your own. And 'Belief' simply isn't enough. Many people have extremely strong beliefs..yet they too are seeking. So obviously, belief is not enough to satisfy the thirst for truth. No, this is about opening your eyes, self introspection and self confirmation.No faith, belief, or teaching required. Truth is all contained within you. Forget about trying to find it in a book, a person, a scripture, a place or on this forum or from me. Truth Reveals the Grand Master within you, it does not ask that you follow anything or anybody.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Truth isn't Maya. Truth is not discovered through the mind. Maya IS the mind. Truth is beyond it. I speak of no illusion, no form and no concept of reality..so the illusions that you claim to be mine, are your own. And 'Belief' simply isn't enough. Many people have extremely strong beliefs..yet they too are seeking. So obviously, belief is not enough to satisfy the thirst for truth. No, this is about opening your eyes, self introspection and self confirmation.No faith, belief, or teaching required. Truth is all contained within you. Forget about trying to find it in a book, a person, a scripture, a place or on this forum or from me. Truth Reveals the Grand Master within you, it does not ask that you follow anything or anybody.

Truth is beyond the mind but it is contained within you? This is mysticism. Mysticism hasn't given anything to humankind worth noting.

You tell me knowledge cannot be found through the senses, thought, or experience, yet you've somehow had a glimpse of it?

There is no truth to me in this sir, I'll let you keep it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Let's talk about knowledge for a minute.  There is no such thing as new or original  knowledge. All the knowledge that you have, is re-hashed and remodified versions of the knowledge you've been exposed to. Most of us customize it and disguise it to appear as our own original thought, but nothing could be further from the truth.

A scientist can not tell you diddly squat about your physical Universe, if he, himself, is still searching through clues. You're priests can tell you nothing about God if he himself is searching for him. 

Human beings who claim to know the answers to many things are, themselves, secretly still looking. It's all a masquerade, shifting this way and that.. nobody has a clue about anything. It's been that way for thousands of years. THESE are the people who have given us their knowledge and understanding of the Universe! They, themselves,  having never found the answer.  Then you take what you have read and learned, then through process of agreeing and disagreeing , you revise or strengthen your old database. Or recombine it in a different way and call it your own. So let's get off the intellectual high horse for a minute and consider some alternatives.

If knowledge led to the Truth, everyone would be enlightened by now. Problem solved. Obviously an investigation into this so called 'knowledge' is necessary if one has any hope in going beyond it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Truth is beyond the mind but it is contained within you? This is mysticism. Mysticism hasn't given anything to humankind worth noting.

You tell me knowledge cannot be found through the senses, thought, or experience, yet you've somehow had a glimpse of it?

There is no truth to me in this sir, I'll let you keep it.

I never said i had a glimpse of knowledge. We all have our fair share of knowledge. Truth is contained within each of us, EQUALLY. If you see the Mind for what it actually is, as a LIVING experience, you would see how VASTLY more intelligent than the mind you actually are. If truth could be put in words, it would have no conflict with that statement.

You can not enlighten yourself, but you can transcend your- self. Buddha, Jesus and many hundreds of wise men have said this in their own way. Transcendence of Mind is very important. If you're trying to find Truth that is. And we each have within us, the capacity to transcend our Minds and find clarity.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bb23108
You do not know what even the most elementary particle IS, not to mention what anything more complex IS. This is not something scientists like to open up to - Sheldon Cooper would be appalled at such a statement!

You have an amazing capacity for ignoring entire swaths of response.

Here's a small taste of what matter is. A particle is a entangled density of event trajectories that has developed as a means of each involved quantum unit of action pursuing Identity Survival within the largest holon structure presently available. I'll let you consider that small bit of reality, and imagine the implications it suggests. It's actually worth more than you might suspect, but I'll show it to you anyway.

This is what a particle is. I explained this just a handful of inches above your quoted statement about how I don't even know what the most elementary particle is. Well, I do know, and I'd already detailed what it is for you. I've run into this kind of belligerence with the NAMASTE bunch that hangs out here. Are you one of those kids? This bizarre refusal to even acknowledge very obvious responses from me suggests that you are.

If this is the case, then I admit to being taken in by you, and fooled into thinking that you were actually interested in the thread as it had evolved from the OP. I won't indulge you any longer and am a bit disappointed in myself for not recognizing this odd exchange for what it actually was.

This board has some real manipulators slithering about. I really feel bad for the folks who come here to learn.
I am sorry you are feeling manipulated by me. I have a scientific background but also have many years of spiritual understanding. I am asking you very real questions, and have a serious interest in your understanding of this "platform" upon which all objective reality arises from.

I can truly relate to what you are saying, as objective reality is a machine of repetitions - patterns duplicating themselves endlessly with slight shifts/variations, etc. Is the idea of WHAT motivates these patterns to become a progressively developed form what you are dealing with, when you speak of a "quantum unit of action pursuing Identity Survival within the largest holon structure presently available"?

This pursuit of identity survival is the basis for everything we humans tend to do - our very assumption that we are the body-mind is based in this same need for identity, for survival.

So yes, this notion very much interests me.

However, I don't appreciate your lashing out at me because I have persisted in asking you a most fundamental question. You do not understand the question, nor does your answer above actually fully convey what matter IS. What you gave is a very interesting description, that, as I said, is very interesting to me from a scientific and even psychological standpoint - but your description is simply comprised of words that evoke various images and concepts, and so it is not what matter actually IS. I was pointing this out because I think it is a mistake that people believe they know what anything actually is. Reality, and all its modifications, is fundamentally not knowable in terms of what it actually is.

Anyway, i won't press you further with this line of questioning given your misunderstanding and also your accusations. I have spent a long time on this thread formulating various questions and respomses, which you said you appreciated at one point - only to now find my questioning unacceptable for a variety of reasons.

In any event, you can answer me or not - that is obviously your choice. But I am sincerely interested in what you are proposing, but it has been hard to determine exactly what you are proposing because you only give a few tidbits of information here and there (and understandably, since you are writing a book).

However, if you want to elaborate further on what you have observed or determined in terms of what causes elementary particles to be attracted to the largest holon structure available, I would find that interesting because I do agree that in terms of form, identity survival is key, some kind of most basic evolutionary impulse, it seems. Are you saying you have quantified this impulse?

P.S. And given this attraction to the largest holon structure available, does this finally prove that "bigger is better"?

edit on 9-5-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Of course! When I say thinking mind, it means the Mind that is thinking. The process of using the mind for thinking. Not the schizophrenic meaning you took from it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Thinking and intelligence are not one in the same. There is a higher intelligence that exists beyond the limitations of the thinking mind. You will find this to be true , I hope for your sake. But if you hold the Mind in such high regard, then you must disagree completely with what every master sage has said about it. Transcending the mind, is key to finding the answers we all seek. Only a person trapped in the Mind would think that it leads to ignorance. Quite the contrary, it leads you out of the delusion of your mind and false self/reality and allows you to see for the first time. It leads you OUT of ignorance.

But let's just disagree, I leave you to your mind and your philosophies, opinions and ideas.

I agree that we'll just have to disagree.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I think the only true fail-safe, a way to know your wrong would be to not actually be concerned with right or wrong. There is experience, observation and then determination of events. All i can tell you is that even if i am wrong by other peoples standards i do not feel wrong by mine. If i am by myself then there is no wrong, if i am in groups, then wrong is decided for me. Best way i can describe it while not going too far away from something most people could experience at some point in their life.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join