It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas can be stupid - not stupid people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I seem to get on people's nerves in a way that makes them attack me personally. I understand that if I find an idea to be stupid I will call it stupid. I might even get sarcastic while listing off logical reasons why an idea or a belief is stupid. I will not, however, call a person stupid unless that person lowers him or herself to that level by attacking me instead of the topic at hand.

Now, some might say that calling an idea idiotic is the same as calling the person an idiot. This just isn't so. We all have stupid ideas from time to time. And sometimes, it takes a bit of sarcasm and aggressiveness to force the person to rethink that particular idea.

To show that ideas can be stupid without people being stupid, I'm going to list a few things that prove this out. Feel free to add more if you think of any.

1. Ten Hot Dogs for 8 hot dog buns. Stupid! But, they're still making money.

2. This Face Butt towel is great for remembering where you wiped your butt on the towel so you won't use that side to wipe your face. sssSTOOOOPID! Here's an idea: ALWAYS WIPE YOUR FACE FIRST!

3. The Pizza fork. For the person that has everything - except knives. JEEZ!

4. If you have a habit of forgetting where you set your beer down, just keep it in this container and click on the remote. The container will beep. STUPID!!!! I'm thinking that if you have a habit of forgetting where you set your beer down, you might want a remote that will make the next AA meeting beep.

So, did anyone get offended by me calling these inventions stupid? Did anyone feel personally attacked? I really hope not. So, please don't feel that I am cutting you down in any way if I think your ideas are stupid on religion, metaphysics, or any other thing we talk about here. One bad idea does not make one an idiot.

Not only am I a member of the Stupid Ideas Club, I am also the president. I've had some whoppers in my time. Still do. So, go ahead and tear my ideas apart any way you wanna do it, but don't lower yourself to belittling me. First off, it doesn't work on me. I'm too old and too confident to care what you think of me. Secondly, every time you cut someone down, it's only a reflection on YOU!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

2. This Face Butt towel is great for remembering where you wiped your butt on the towel so you won't use that side to wipe your face. sssSTOOOOPID! Here's an idea: ALWAYS WIPE YOUR FACE FIRST!

How's that going to help if you reuse your towel?

Feel stoopid?

Idea 4 is pretty dang stupid. They'd probably end up losing the remote after one day lol!
edit on 3-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

edit on 3-5-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I like it, Mr. President. The whole list is indeed stupid. I didn't even know this crap existed... Although, I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with the hamburger - hotdog bun debacle.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I feel ya! So I am gonna add this little gem to the pile for posterity.

Just let that one soak in for a minute.

X

edit on 3-5-2013 by ExhibitEx because: formatting

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I feel more like i am glad people are putting their ideas out there. there are no stupid ideas to me, they may be proved wrong but ideas are a beginning not an end. I wish no one used words like stupid on ATS at all, some persons may indeed not be very bright, and how wonderful that they will try and participate. Why crush ideas?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExhibitEx

X

I find that to be a GREAT idea, so again your stupid may be someone else gem.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

How's that going to help if you reuse your towel? Feel stoopid?

You? You reuse a towel after wiping your body down? Well, that's just plain stupid. Fresh towel and washing machine for the other.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExhibitEx

X

Ha! That's even better than the three-wheel motorcycle. Every time I see one I can't help thinking, just one more tire and they've got themselves a car.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by jiggerj

I feel more like i am glad people are putting their ideas out there. there are no stupid ideas to me, they may be proved wrong but ideas are a beginning not an end. I wish no one used words like stupid on ATS at all, some persons may indeed not be very bright, and how wonderful that they will try and participate. Why crush ideas?

I only used the word stupid to save on having to write all the extravagant ways some people have of demeaning someone because they can't engage in a logical debate.

There are, however, LOTS of stupid ideas. Forget the title of this, it's just the ideas that are stupid.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by jiggerj

I only used the word stupid to save on having to write all the extravagant ways some people have of demeaning someone because they can't engage in a logical debate.

There are, however, LOTS of stupid ideas. Forget the title of this, it's just the ideas that are stupid.

THAT was INNOVATIVE!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I think you have successfully demonstrated that ideas can be stupid independent of the person who proposes them.

The trouble is that most people tend to be very defensive about ideas they have expressed and take it personally when they are disagreed with. Human nature really.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I think you have successfully demonstrated that ideas can be stupid independent of the person who proposes them.

The trouble is that most people tend to be very defensive about ideas they have expressed and take it personally when they are disagreed with. Human nature really.

So all that is needed then is Tact. you can tell your view with tactful words and not hurt anyone's sensibilities.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Jigger, as always a pleasure to read your thread

You are of course correct, there is no need for name calling on ATS you old duffer

I've just had a great debate with mideast where we both presented our sides of the argument and at no point did we resort to name calling or insulting each others beliefs.

It's been a long time since that happened but you know how it is on ATS

and sometimes

but mostly

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Tact is always very handy

Unfortunately, some people are born to be offended and will find fault in your tactful approach.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yeah! I agree 100% with your OP. In my most recent thread in physics I was calmly discussing physics argument with some other ATSer. Then, out of no where, the guy slash out on me. He got real angry, and started asking personal questions.

Hey, mate, is that how Einstein and Bohr discussed the validity of quantum? Did they started to take each other by the throat and call each other names in the conference? No, because arguments about a topic aren't personal. They are topic-al. I don't understand why people feel threaten that much by a simple topic.
edit on 6-5-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
reply to post by jiggerj

Yeah! I agree 100% with your OP. In my most recent thread in physics I was calmly discussing physics argument with some other ATSer. Then, out of no where, the guy slash out on me. He got real angry, and started asking personal questions.

Hey, mate, is that how Einstein and Bohr discussed the validity of quantum? Did they started to take each other by the throat and call each other names in the conference? No, because arguments about a topic aren't personal. They are topic-al. I don't understand why people feel threaten that much by a simple topic.
edit on 6-5-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

Sorry that happened to you. I think these people don't want to debate. They want to WIN, and by that alone, they automatically lose.

top topics

join