It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania judge sentenced to 28 years in prison for selling teens to prisons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
iMHO
this is what happens to crooks who don't share the wealth:
outing with extreme predjudice

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This is what occurs when the prison system is privatized. Steady inflow of free labor for corporate interests and kick backs for judges and prosecuting attorneys. Not sure about the quality of the work, maybe water boarding or psychological torture keeps the free labor in line.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
This is nothing but a product of privatization.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

America has the prison system where you can gain weight and become obese.

Got to make up that difference in food perhaps. so I estimate 150-200,000 USD.

So otherwise you are just making numbers up?

Prisoners are fat because their family/friends put money into their account so they can go by cookies at the commissary.

And by letting this guy go with no jail time is a horrible idea. He put other people in jail, why are you feeling sympathy for him?

edit on 5-5-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

It is a product of privatization. Sad sad sad.

So it goes like this. A state decides that they don't want to administer their own prisons anymore. They don't want the expense or the liability. So they off it to some private company. They have been lobbied for years by CCA or some other private correction corporation.

What does the private company do?? They just lock them down. They don't have the number of corrections officers that the state used to provide, there is no school, no preparing them for life after prison, no rehab, no nothing. The gangs run rampant and it is crooked as all get out. Drugs, cell phones, extortion et al. Everyone is on the take. No oversight. No one to help you. Trust and believe those officers are dirty as sheet.

It is a travesty. Makes me sick to my stomach.
edit on 5-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Well they are used it. Nearly every child in the west is sold into the public education system is a prison structure in itself. Involuntary, and very destructive to children it has all the marks of a prison (bullying etc) Read John Taylor Gatto for more on it.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by WaterBottle

It is a product of privatization. Sad sad sad.

How is it private? Isn't funded by the state, or at least heavily supported by it?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Given the extreme state of corruption in society, that will likely be in dog years.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by upsidedownforklift

It is a privatized institution. Therefore the state has decided they do not want to administer a juvenile detention facility for whatever reason. The state still has to pay, and even sometimes they don't even save any money. It is all about lobbying and campaign contributions and bribery and contracts gifted by the state and so on and so forth. It is so freakin crooked.

From what I read this institution was paid by head. Meaning they were paid by the body from the State, and yes right out of your pocket and mine,

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
ANYTHING FOR PROFIT

HOMO HOMINI LUPUS

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
My question is how did the judge get away with it this long. Who wasn't listening higher up in the Judicial system.

Because anyone who matters was involved. There were a couple prosecuted but don't get it twisted, there many more involved who didn't get prosecuted. They had a nice circus here about it for awhile, "justice served" and all that.....give me a break. They want to resolve this issue for the kids then they better reopen the investigation and charge another 20 people or so. They also no to provide compensation for every child impacted by this. It shouldn't be the kids (cause that's all they were, just kids) that has to seek restitution.

There were so many families impacted by this. I personally new a handful myself. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. You want context? How about a 14yr old caught with Ritalin in her purse at school, no prescription. Does this girl deserve "hard time" in Juvenial detention for a first offense? Forced to drop out of school and life ruined over a drug doctors prescribe to children like candy for profit, then to send her to "jail" for it to generate more profit for these scumbags.

This is just one of countless examples and if you think it stops with those charged, think again. This whole incident with these for profit jails is just the tip of the iceberg when it come to just how morally corrupt our society is. We are ALL to blame for turning a blind eye and allowing ourself to be controlled by lies and propaganda while we get our humanity stripped from us.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

reply to post by upsidedownforklift

It is a privatized institution. Therefore the state has decided they do not want to administer a juvenile detention facility for whatever reason. The state still has to pay, and even sometimes they don't even save any money. It is all about lobbying and campaign contributions and bribery and contracts gifted by the state and so on and so forth. It is so freakin crooked.

From what I read this institution was paid by head. Meaning they were paid by the body from the State, and yes right out of your pocket and mine,

It absolutely costs more to run these for profit prisons the state controlled. But hey, just grease a few pockets and everybody wins.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by masta12d

Whoa. From your story it sounds like they tried to put a lid on this. I am sure the corruption is rampant. Maybe these two judges were the fall guys. This judge from this OP was very indignant at his sentencing. Didn't feel like he did anything wrong.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Whoa. From your story it sounds like they tried to put a lid on this. I am sure the corruption is rampant. Maybe these two judges were the fall guys. This judge from this OP was very indignant at his sentencing. Didn't feel like he did anything wrong.

He honestly thought he'd get clear of it but the pressure from the citizens demanded someone be held accountable. And don't get me wrong they deserved what they got but there's more a lot more.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Well to that I say, "what a burn". I sure hope he doesn't get some kind of pardon or something.

Wasn't this a federal case?? Just curious.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I live in the area and there is WAY more corruption then that. You never hear of Joe Biden being from the area for a reason. These guys were fall guys there is bigger fish to fry in the area.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Well to that I say, "what a burn". I sure hope he doesn't get some kind of pardon or something.

Wasn't this a federal case?? Just curious.

Yes it was, it needed to be. These people charging themselves is laughable because so many complicit. Prosecutors, police officers, local officials, private contractors, judges, etc etc. trumped up charges to where families would walk in thinking their child my get probation or a fine for silly charges. Nope, 5 years in kiddy jail. Just crazy. Pretty sure a federal grand jury lobbed a 48 count indictment.
edit on 5-5-2013 by masta12d because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Yeah right 5000 kids, all of which you know. They were all scum and deserved some time, maybe not as much as they got?? Isn't that your position??

What is in your coffee drink.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I remember this case. I was sickened by it when I first heard.

Hooray he was finally convicted.

Federal prosecutors accused Ciavarella and a second judge, Michael Conahan, of taking more than $2 million in bribes from the builder of the PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care detention centers and extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the facilities' co-owner.

Ciavarella, known for his harsh and autocratic courtroom demeanor, filled the beds of the private lockups with children as young as 10, many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft and other minor crimes.

The judge remained defiant after his arrest, insisting the payments were legal and denying he incarcerated youths for money.

The jury returned a mixed verdict following a February trial, convicting him of 12 counts, including racketeering and conspiracy, and acquitting him of 27 counts, including extortion. The guilty verdicts related to a payment of $997,600 from the builder.

Conahan, meanwhile, pleaded guilty last year and awaits sentencing.

He was even bribed by the builder of the facility.

Source

'I was completely destroyed'

Hillary Transue did not have an attorney, nor was she told of her right to one, when she appeared in Ciavarella’s courtroom in 2007 for building a MySpace page that lampooned her assistant principal.

Her mother, Laurene Transue, worked for 16 years in the child services department of another county and said she was certain Hillary would get a slap on the wrist. Instead, Ciavarella sentenced her to three months; she got out after a month, with help from a lawyer.

Source

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
I remember this case. I was sickened by it when I first heard.

Hooray he was finally convicted.

Federal prosecutors accused Ciavarella and a second judge, Michael Conahan, of taking more than $2 million in bribes from the builder of the PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care detention centers and extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the facilities' co-owner.

Ciavarella, known for his harsh and autocratic courtroom demeanor, filled the beds of the private lockups with children as young as 10, many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft and other minor crimes.

The judge remained defiant after his arrest, insisting the payments were legal and denying he incarcerated youths for money.

The jury returned a mixed verdict following a February trial, convicting him of 12 counts, including racketeering and conspiracy, and acquitting him of 27 counts, including extortion. The guilty verdicts related to a payment of $997,600 from the builder.

Conahan, meanwhile, pleaded guilty last year and awaits sentencing.

He was even bribed by the builder of the facility.

Source

'I was completely destroyed'

Hillary Transue did not have an attorney, nor was she told of her right to one, when she appeared in Ciavarella’s courtroom in 2007 for building a MySpace page that lampooned her assistant principal.

Her mother, Laurene Transue, worked for 16 years in the child services department of another county and said she was certain Hillary would get a slap on the wrist. Instead, Ciavarella sentenced her to three months; she got out after a month, with help from a lawyer.

Source

Yeah best I could tell was, going to court without a lawyer was tantamount to telling the judge; "nobody loves me, use me as cannon fodder".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join