It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania judge sentenced to 28 years in prison for selling teens to prisons

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by cconn487

From the link in the OP:

According to allgov.com Ciavearella's cases from 2003 - 2008 were reviewed by a special investigative panel and later by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and it was found that upwards of 5,000 young men and women were denied their constitutional rights, and therefore all of their convictions were dismissed and were summarily released

terrific! 5,000 pissed off juvenile delinquents all revved up and ready to go on flash mob robberies, sucker punching pedestrians whilst playing knockout king, beating up lily white kids on public transportation and stealing their iPhones, raping octogenarians....woohoo!
set them all free!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What comes around goes around. Karma, you gotta love it.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

I too remember this story and I'm glad to find out that justice is being served. On the other hand, I'm not sure that 28 yrs. is enough for the lives he has destroyed for profit.

On another note, I wonder if anything will happen to those who presented him with the bribes in the first place? You know what they say; "It's takes two to Tango."

Good find, F&S for the OP!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This article came to mind. Seems more credible now. I believe I got this article from ATS

www.hiphopisread.com...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

You guys really need context to understand what really happened. What happened was all these dumbass kids really did do something stupid but the punishment they received was not proportional to the crime. Most of these kids are friends of mine, non of their lives were "ruined" most of them are still doing stupid # and getting in trouble.

Still, having said that the guy deserves what he got and worse. The 20,000$ they gave to everyone was a pretty sweet deal closer. A few of the guys even put down payments on houses with it.

Its not like they were out arresting people doing nothing, i never went before this judge because i didn't steal cars or anything else.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by papazen

The same area this happened in was the same area featured in the Michael Moore film where they put all the kids in town on ritalin and labeled them all with ADHD. I know because i was one of those ADHD kids. The area is turning into Detroit and my family plans on leaving soon.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Pretty much. Get rid of the problem that was exposed and sweep the rest back under the rug. Its the new American way of life. "Move along folks, nothing to see here. We've taken care of the problem, you can trust us."

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I remember this well. Posted a thread awhile back.

All I can say is FANTASTIC!

28 years...perfect in my books for a scumbag like this. Unfortunately there are most likely a lot more out there like this one.

Peace

edit on 3-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Well, yeah. But, the problem is not the Judge. The problem is having private prisons in a capitalist society. People naturally do what is in the best interest of profit. If the private prisons were paid a "bonus" for every juvenile who got early release, for good behavior, there would be motivation to rehabilitate the youth, instead of creating an environment that allowed the prisons to justify keeping them in for the longest while.

You get what you pay for. You can't expect to artificially create a profit opportunity, and then expect the players to look the other way. Men will always go after the profit. The next judge will just be more careful in his arrangements, but the results will continue to be the same.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SQUEALER

28 years...perfect in my books for a scumbag like this. Unfortunately there are most likely a lot more out there like this one.

Peace

Well, yeah. But, the problem is not the Judge. The problem is having private prisons in a capitalist society. People naturally do what is in the best interest of profit. If the private prisons were paid a "bonus" for every juvenile who got early release, for good behavior, there would be motivation to rehabilitate the youth, instead of creating an environment that allowed the prisons to justify keeping them in for the longest while.

You get what you pay for. You can't expect to artificially create a profit opportunity, and then expect the players to look the other way. Men will always go after the profit. The next judge will just be more careful in his arrangements, but the results will continue to be the same.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
But they will still make prisons a business.
it should be run by the government.
even though they are no better.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
28 years? That's it? How many lives has this guy ruined?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

i am glad he got his but everybody involved with this needs the same sentence and the private prisons that conspired with him should be closed and all their assets be given as restitution to victims or their ext of kin .

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Wait...don't you get it?

He's getting 28 years that's paid out of YOUR pockets.

that's between 150-200,000 USD annually x 28 years....

They should have just stripped him of his job and prevented him for working in anything related to what he was caught up in. Maybe, 1 month of Federal Prison time ( most likely ending with him severely injured OR dead.)
Taken all of his assets away and released him as a regular common Joe to face the real world.

This would have been sufficient punishment, but punishing the american public by forcing them to pay for this scumbag and putting money where we don't need it is self defeating.

Our punishment system is unbelievably counter productive.

edit: I just had to add, lol@krazysh0t, that's a hilarious avatar!
edit on 4-5-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

Well first off he is going to a federal penitentiary. Second any one who is convicted of a felony has their license to practice law revoked. You must have a license to practice in order to be a judge. So that is handled. He will do 85% of his sentence and will probably die in jail.

Does it solve the systemic problem of corruption within our courts? No. But it does settle this bastage's wrongs? I think justice was served here.

Next up: Civil lawsuits against the county. That is gonna cost taxpayers a whole bunch.

And I don't know where you get your numbers, but it is about 80 grand here in the state of California to house a prisoner per year. Are they getting lobster and massages where you live??
edit on 4-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

My logic on cost is as follows.

wiki states it only costs 7,500 usd annually.

Canada in their media states with their old prisons, 150,000 USD annually.

America has the prison system where you can gain weight and become obese.

Got to make up that difference in food perhaps. so I estimate 150-200,000 USD.

Either way it clearly states if you don't make this much money, you're more valuable to the system as a prisoner because it would generate more cash that way.

If you follow the numbers with the true cost of just prison contracts in the United States, it is a multitrillion dollar industry that just grows when you start adding fines, fees, court costs, tickets.

so yea....our economy is run off of oil followed by prisons....everything else is pennies in the bucket, even those pharma contracts that aren't even paid out to the government.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

You are so unclear about the prison pop. In California, at least, we don't have privatized prisons. What we do have is a balls to the wall Correction's Union.

This state is so piss poor in their handling of prison population the Feds had to actually provide a federal monitor, after a class action wrongful death suit, because of the lack of medical care. Our prisons are at over 200% of freaking fire code. No one is getting fat here in our prisons. I doubt sincerely anyone else is another state prison or fed for that matter. You got it twisted. You think prison is like some vacation or something.

The best thing that sob could get is to be kicking it in a California prison for 24 years.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
INMATE: So what are you in for?

JUDGE: I used to be a judge but I got caught taking payoffs from private prisons in return for handing maximum sentences to kids who stole bicycles and sold weed at school. It was great while it lasted, but here I am. What about you?

INMATE: I got screwed by a judge.

(awkward silence, followed by a vicious beatdown with a lunch tray)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Slugworth

LOL. He might be better off just saying he is in for child molestation.

What a freakin burn.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Peace

Either way the private prisons continue to get their cash whether it is a teen or a corrupt judge... they failed to address the problem that private prisons pose.

edit on 4-5-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Just the tip of the ice berg, in regards to corruption in the state of Pennsylvania.
I left Pennsylvania over thirty years ago, partly because of the two hundred percent corruption of the City of Philadelphia municipal government. and knowing it existed, partly because of the corruption in the State of Pennsylvania state government.
I have told many people Pennsylvania is probably the most corrupt state at all levels of government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join