It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania judge sentenced to 28 years in prison for selling teens to prisons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Mods, I hope I put this in the right forum. If not please feel free to move. Thanks.

You may remember the story that came out last year about the Judge who was busted taking money from a juvenile corrections company to sentence kids to their prisons. Well the scumbag was sentenced to 28 years in prison. What a burn. What a terrible human being. What a waste of skin.

Disgraced Pennsylvania judge Mark Ciavarella Jr has been sentenced to 28 years in prison for conspiring with private prisons to sentence juvenile offenders to maximum sentences for bribes and kickbacks which totaled millions of dollars. He was also ordered to pay $1.2 million in restitution.

In the private prison industry the more time an inmate spends in a facility, the more of a profit is reaped from the state. Ciavearella was a figurehead in a conspiracy in the state of Pennsylvania which saw thousands of young men and women unjustly punished and penalized in the name of corporate profit.

Story

edit on 3-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I remember this well. Posted a thread awhile back.

All I can say is FANTASTIC!

28 years...perfect in my books for a scumbag like this. Unfortunately there are most likely a lot more out there like this one.

Peace

edit on 3-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Nice. Enjoy the hell you have bestowed upon others so graciously. I do feel like those who were bribing him should have to do a bit in one of their prisons as well.

Scumbags is an understatement. This is why we rot at the core.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have read several stories about judges and the for profit prisons working together with the complementary kick back. Everything from adult to juvenile systems. There is no punishment to great for those who break the public trust IMO.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I wonder how many people he put away will get retrials.

I can only guess a small portion of them.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

From the link in the OP:

According to allgov.com Ciavearella's cases from 2003 - 2008 were reviewed by a special investigative panel and later by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and it was found that upwards of 5,000 young men and women were denied their constitutional rights, and therefore all of their convictions were dismissed and were summarily released

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Thats what I get for speed reading lol.

Thank you.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i wonder how many private prison will have to close their doors.
want to bet none, they will be just like contractors in iraq and afghanistan.

change their name and business as usual.

link   
My question is how did the judge get away with it this long. Who wasn't listening higher up in the Judicial system.

link   
Happens all the time in Florida. I've been told(have no way to back up this claim) that many judges and Sheriff organizations actually own stock in the private prisons throughout the state.

I can say that here in Florida the legal system is a racketeering scheme. Sure bad people go to prison, but many innocent and people of how commit minor offenses end up serving long sentences thanks to this policy.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Its a Start, if they start locking up Corrupted Officials, there will be a Construction Boom in Prisons.
Hope he gets to serve his time in the General Pop.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
My question is how did the judge get away with it this long. Who wasn't listening higher up in the Judicial system.

He probably pissed off the wrong person.

The entire Judicial system is corrupt and has been completely usurped just like everything else.

Good book on this: Lawyers and Judges, American Trojan Horses

The below quote from an interview with Chip Tatum makes this extremely obvious. (@ 1 hour 17 min)

"The court system as it's set up today is not setup as a tool for justice, it's setup as a tool for retribution" "Anyone that they want, they can get." ~ Chip Tatum www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

The title of your thread says....

"Pennsylvania judge sentenced to 28 years in prison for selling teens to prisons"

I think he should have been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

He is a horrible person and what he did to all those young people is horrifying. He is truly a vile and despicable person.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
That's a pretty stiff sentence and thoroughly deserved.That's the kind of sentence for attempted murder and the like.I'm sure it was a warning to the other scumbags using the same practices.Yeah what a surprise,yet more corruption of our institutions.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well this is a warning about private prisons over governmental run ones then isn't it.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

And from the article it kind of indicates he was prosecuted by the Fed's because they quote a US attorney. If that is the case, he will do 85% of that or almost 24 years. No half-time for that despicable human being. He looks to be somewhere in his 60's so I would imagine he will die in prison. So it really is a life sentence for him.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
That is great news, now let's hope that he gets a steady diet of big bubba's man meat for the next 28 years, he deserves no less.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The only way to stop this is to pass a law that any detention facility can not be for profit. It must be a non-profit prison and set pay scales, i.e. no million dollar bonuses, etc. and any surplus is given to programs that help citizens with problems like addictions, homelessness, etc. You would see this sort of corruption dry up imho.

edit on 3/5/13 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

In the private prison industry the more time an inmate spends in a facility, the more of a profit is reaped from the state. Ciavearella was a figurehead in a conspiracy in the state of Pennsylvania which saw thousands of young men and women unjustly punished and penalized in the name of corporate profit.

Story

Judge sentenced to 28 years!! Woo hoo! The judge is making big money for those corporations now. Great work!!

edit on 3-5-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Makes you wonder how many juves do more time than they should and how many juves go to jail when they really needed other measures. I dont think I know of anybody in my country going to jail for substance abuse. If they catch you with a minor amount of Marijuana they wont even bother to take you to the police station.

He could still be putting away Juves for a long time, for petty crimes or substance abuse, if he would have been more of a people person and made friends with the people whom put him away before they even started looking into him.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join