It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those so-called "non-stick" ceramic pans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
A few months ago, I replaced my old, scratched and banged up Teflon coated non-stick pan with one of those new fangled Green Pans that has the cool ceramic non-stick coating that's supposed to be so much better than Teflon and good for the environment to boot.

When I got it in, I immediately tossed my old non-stick pan in the trash (BIG mistake) and started using the new one. I mostly use it to make omelets for breakfast on the weekends which is one of the small pleasures I allow myself on my days off.

At first, it worked pretty awesome. The eggs slipped right off the pan with no effort although, I had a tough time getting the butter to stick to the pan and not evaporate away for flavor even though they say you don't need to coat the pan with anything to help it along.

The cooking experience was great. The eating experience was a different matter. The omelet just didn't taste right somehow; as if all the moisture or flavor had been drained from the eggs in the cooking process. I tried making omelets for maybe two more weekends after that before just giving up. I couldn't finish eating them, even if I forced myself, they tasted so bad. I quickly turned to using it only for scrambled or over easy eggs which didn't come out so bad.

Then, about two months after buying the new pan, the non-stickiness just gave out and in a big way. Not only did the pan lose its non-stickiness, it became super sticky to the point that everything got ripped to shreds when we tried to remove it from the pan and it became really hard to clean off. Even after soaking the pan in water for several hours, I was forced to go at it with a scouring pad with quite a bit of elbow grease in order to get the damn thing clean again. I decided to do a web search to see if anybody else had had these problems or if maybe I was doing something wrong.

Is Orgreenic Cookware a scam?

A small circular insert paper in the pan said that the pan should be seasoned before use. We’ve never had to season a pan before: a simple but annoying procedure. You are to pour a film of oil in the bottom of the pan, coat the sides and heat the oil until it begins to smoke. Then pour it out and let the pan cool. Wipe out the excess oil. You are supposed to repeat this twice yearly.

Pouring a film of oil into this pan is actually quite difficult, because the ceramic surface is non-porous, and the oil tends to bead up instead of covering the pan smoothly. To make sure, we washed the pan with soap and water before trying again.

We then poured in enough oil to cover the bottom and heated it until it began to smoke. This can make quite a smell in the house, and you should open the windows or make sure your exhaust fan is running.

Now, when you season a cast-iron pan, you are really making a thin polymeric layer on top of the porous iron. In the case of these ceramic-coated pans it is not clear why we are doing this.

The pan I got had nothing about "seasoning" it on the pan but, it worked fine for the first few months without the treatment although, I will probably try it this weekend before trying to use it again.

Now, an egg cooked without fat is essentially a baked egg, and it really doesn’t have a lot of flavor. In fact, the egg was rather tough, and when we flipped it over, we saw why: it had formed a fairly hard coating underneath. It wasn’t overcooked, just hard and not all the tasty. All of this is shown in the slide show.

Examiner

It seems I'm not the only one so suffer bad taste issues. It also seems that DuPont, the guys who make Teflon have done a side by side study and have determined that their product is superior (surprise, surprise).

Tests Show DuPont™ Teflon® Nonstick Coatings for Cookware Outperform and Outlast “Ceramic” Coatings

Today DuPont announced the results of side-by-side testing to enable consumers make an educated decision when choosing between Teflon® nonstick coatings or “ceramic” coatings. In repeated tests conducted by DuPont, cookware with Teflon® nonstick coatings proved to be more durable and continued to offer superior nonstick food release, outlasting “ceramic” coatings seven-to-one.

“Ceramic” coatings are made by using sol-gel chemistry to create synthetic polymer coatings. Consumers should be highly skeptical of marketing claims that suggest “ceramic” coatings are somehow healthier, greener or more natural than Teflon® nonstick coatings.

“‘Ceramic’ coatings are made using a synthesized polymer that does not have a reasonably lasting nonstick release,” said Devoe. “These coatings are certainly not greener or healthier than the leading nonstick coated cookware products on the market today.”

Contrary to misinformation available on the internet, Teflon® nonstick coatings have been affirmed safe for use by regulatory agencies around the world. These coatings are made without using perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA).

PR Web

Sure the study was bought and paid for by DuPont to show their product was superior so you should take it with a grain of salt but, after my experience with the Green Pan, it seems accurate. Of course, the DuPont study completely fails to mention the issue of toxic fumes from their pans.

Teflon Cookware Dangers: Non-stick Coating Releases Toxic Fumes at High Temperatures

When heated to higher temperatures, the toxic fumes released from pans are enough to actually kill pet birds. I wish I had realized this before I lost my own two birds. For safety reasons, birds should never be housed near the kitchen where food is cooked. Non-stick pans should never be preheated, as this can cause them to become too hot. At only 2-5 minutes on a heated stove top, Teflon coated cookware can exceed safe temperatures. The coating then begins to break apart, emitting toxic particles and gases into the air of your home.

Use of Teflon can also cause flu-like symptoms in humans. The scientific community refers to this as "Teflon flu" or "Polymer fume fever". Several years ago I watched a documentary about Teflon on television. A pregnant woman who was employed by a company that manufactured Teflon cookware, gave birth to a child with severe birth defects.The child, now grown, had severe facial deformities as well, believed to have been caused by his mother's exposure to these toxins during her pregnancy.

Yahoo

Here's another article on Teflon toxicity

Apparently, it only emits the toxic fumes if overheated to over 400-500 degrees and should be safe so long as you are careful. I think I'll take my chances with Teflon for the sake of better tasting foods and a non-stick pan that lasts. As soon as I have the money, I'm getting a new one and the ceramic piece of crap is going in the trash.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Funny i've been using the "eco" pans for a few years now, and personally i find the coating lasts about as long as a standard none stick. Granted, the eco one starts to go it large areas where as i found the standard ones started in a small area before becoming a pain in the ass.

As for taste... I've never ever had a taste issue with the eco pan. I don't know about seasoning, as it never said for me to do that, but when cooking, even on nonstick, you should be using a little bit of oil, depending on what you are cooking of course.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
We have found out that when Mrs Rodinus stopped smashing me over the head with the new fangled pan when i rolled in blind drunk at 4 in the morning every Saturday that the coating lasts much longer

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

argggggghhhhh, I own a green pan as it was purchased by my parents from qvc...it was great the first few uses but then like all nonstick pans it lost it's ability to cook without some spray....I end up going back to my non stick pans as the results are always the same...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I've been buttering up the pan since I got it whenever I cook. In fact, I have to use more butter with the ceramic pan because it doesn't want to coat the pan, just slip and slide around and cook away.

My eggs never tasted right after cooking on it and I was pissed as hell when the non-stick gave up so suddenly and in a big way. Maybe I got a bad pan but, after the research I've done, I don't think I'll be experimenting with this stuff again.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I so wanted one of these pans... Now.... I think I'll just replace it all with Cast Iron Skillets..... Or stainless steel pans for that matter... No tefflon or ceramic... I mean is it that hard to clean after using your pots and pans???

My outlook..... Non stick pans... Far from the greatest inventions since sliced bread.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

On a more serious note, we have long got rid of Teflon coated pans and have gone back to traditional cast iron pans (as well as frying pan) and also a couple of copper pans for sauces.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 3-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I never did trust those commercials. This is why I just use cast iron pans for everything. Yes, a bit more work in the beginning, to get it seasoned, but then everything just tastes better and I think cooks better. I use either cast iron or glass for everything now.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
FortAnthem
I have a full set of Green Pans and I just love them Ive never had any problems with anything sticking or not tasting right with them..

I was told when I bought them to never spray the pans with any product like Pam because it wrecks the surface of the pan and makes it have a grease build up Ive had mine for about a year and they look just like the day I bought them..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Do yourself a favor, get a Swiss Diamond pan.

Granted, I paid a lot and joke about the $100 frying pan, but I've had it for over 2 years and I'd say that it's about 75% as good as the day I bought it. I use it about 5-6 times a week.

The glass lid is nice because you can twist the knob to vent or not vent it. Because the non-stick coating contains actual diamond particles, you can also use metal -- yes METAL utensils in it!

I did a LOT of research before throwing down on my pan, and I'm really glad I made the investment. I would have easily bought about 2-5 other, cheaper pans and paid more overall in the past 30 or so months.

My only gripe about it is that it is not induction compatible. I won't buy any other brand of non-stick pans!

The Swiss really do make excellent products.

Check them out: Swiss Diamond

edit on 3-5-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Money is real tight in my house right now, so I won't be ordering one of them any time soon. I'll have a tough time even affording another Teflon pan on my budget.

I'll keep them in mind in case I win the lottery though.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Not so with me. The Swiss Diamond pan I have is about 30 months old, and it's about 75% or more as good as new. I use my pan about 5-6 times a week from eggs to those "frozen skillet meals in a bag".

You get what you pay for...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

In your case, I would suggest (as others) cast iron. My gripe with cast iron is that I can't cook acidic foods like tomato sauces in them.

Stainless steel is also another option. I know Kirkland (Costco) makes a really good set of tri-ply pans similar to All-Clad for a steal.

Also, they do make enameled cast iron pans. I've never used one, but if it cooks like my enameled dutch oven, I would imagine it would be fairly non-stick. You might be able to find one at a garage sale or a thrift store.

Edit: oh and believe me I was not happy having to spend the initial money on the fry pan. I barley had enough money for the next few weeks to even buy any food to actually cook in it

edit on 3-5-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

We have two, they are white not green. We have never noted any flavor change and they are still; great after about 6-7 months... my husband also makes omelets on days off. (his latest masterpiece, chilli relleno omelette! Green chillies, onions, mushrooms cream cheese on ours at home) (pepperjack and cheddar at work and salsa.) I like it so much he started them at the restaurant and they sell like crazy.

The only problem I have found it the pans get hot much faster and stay hotter so it is easy to burn things.

My favorite pan is still the stainless steel, add water after cooking and they clean right up.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the tip

I was thinking of switching to some of these new ceramic ones sometime soon so you may have saved me some grief. I switched from the teflon non stick a a long time ago to cast iron for health purposes (teflon isn't good for you) but the cast iron sets require so much maintenance in order to keep them from rusting.

Anyways, I think it's time for a new set of cast iron frying pans and I will just have to enhance my maintenance skills

Cheers.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Newer cast iron pans aren't milled like they were back in the 1940's and earlier. They are all now rough cast, so unless you have a friend with a machine shop that can mill the bottom, you do have to a bit more to season them well.

Despite being "pre-seasoned" new cast iron still needs a good seasoning to be able to fry an egg properly. If you are considering a cast iron pan, I would suggest seasoning the pan, and cooking with lard because oils tend to spoil a bit and put off a smell. Also, cook with a metal spatula with squared edges. The corners should be rounded but it should be squared at the top and bottom, trust me on this. As you cook with the metal spatula on a cast-iron pan, it helps to level the sharp peaks, while the lard will harden and fill the valleys. It will not cause any known harm to have a tiny bit of iron in your food.

To clean, wipe it with a wet sponge after use. Don't use soap! The soap will take the seasoning right off.

If you can find an old cast-iron pan at a thrift store or garage sale even better. I've had a whole set for a couple years now and love them. The dutch oven is my only complaint, as it has legs so I can't use it on a stovetop, but throw it on a campfire or in the grill on some coals, and throw a couple coals on top, and it cooks beautifully.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Protip: Kosher salt works great as an abrasive cleaner for cast iron. Dump some in the pan once it's cool, use a paper towel and scrub it around, rise and dry the pan off.

Cast iron really isn't hard to take care of, and anything you do to "mess it up" can be fixed. If it rusts, just take some steel wool to it
If you ruin the seasoning, just re-season!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I don't know, maybe I just had a bad experience with mine. I got the "Green Pan" from Target because they usually have better stuff than Wal Mart which sells the Orgreenic stuff. Maybe I just got the wrong brand.

I think the best thing to learn from my experience is to

1. NEVER, EVER when buying a new-fangled replacement for something you have, throw out the old one until you're sure you're satisfied with the new thingamajig.

2. Always keep the receipt in case it doesn't live up to expectations.

3. Before you buy, do some research online, especially looking for negative customer reviews to see what problems you may run into.

Who knows, maybe I got the wrong pan or a defective one. Maybe it will all turn around after I season it. But, the bottom line is; I'm gonna be a whole lot more careful next time I go out and buy the next great thingamajig that comes along.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I believe I'll stick with my old cast iron skillets and dutch oven. I even have a cast iron griddle. To clean out stuck on food I just put a little water in them and boil it on the stove for a bit and the stuck on stuff wipes right out. The hubby has a non-stick pan with a thick aluminum bottom he makes omelets in that he got on clearance at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $7. We're on year number 11 with it and it only has one scratch.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I bought the Orgreenic fry pan, seasoned it as by the directions, and cook everything from fried eggs to pork chops in it with no problem. I use a tiny bit of butter or oil for eggs and/or meat, but no type of oil for pancakes or grilled cheeses.

I'm thinking seriously of buying the entire Orgreenic cookware set.

I have 2 cast iron skillets: 1 large for oven frying and 1 medium for my corn bread

J

<<   2 >>

join