It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3d Printed Pistol. Very Cool.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reason.com...

Well, here we go. This is a major game changer for the firearms industry. I believe it is nothing but a positive thing for everyone.

3d Printed Firearms. Looks like the Govt worst nightmare.

That 3D-Printed Handgun You've Been Waiting For Is Here J.D. Tuccille|May. 3, 2013 9:15 am 3D printed handgunMichael Thad Carter for ForbesRemember when Defense Distributed's Cody Wilson promised to unveil an entirely 3D-printed handgun made of ABS plastic with the firing pin its only metal part? Well, he's apparently done it. Forbes's Andy Greenberg was given a sneak peek of the result, and it looks and appears to be quite an achievement. If all goes well, the plans will be unveiled at Defcad.org next week.

edit on 3-5-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Impressive! But it's not gunish enough.

What's that they say? If it looks like a duck......

That looks nothing like a gun and would seem more at home as a garden hose attachment.

www.artatheart.co.uk... pew pew!
edit on 3-5-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Neat but without a steel barrel and chamber it is just gonna explode eventually.

Gs

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well the first thing to say, is that if Defense Distributed have managed to create a design which is durable enough to launch rounds without undue risk to the user, then well done! Just overcoming the issue of how to disperse the recoil power throughout the frame of the weapon, without causing catastrophic structural failiure is impressive, especially when one considers the material of which the weapon is made.

However, I would be very suprised if the weapon they have designed is going to be any thing to write home about in terms of accuracy and user friendlyness. Damn thing looks like it was put together by Fisher Price. That is to say, it seems overly bulky as an object, and I cannot imagine it feeling like anything other than holding a water pistol. I half expect bubbles from the business end, not bullets.

That said, I cannot wait to hear what people think of it having used one. Perhaps my every assumption about this thing is wrong? Probably since I would rather use a blade, and have never used a firearm.

None the less, I AM interested in this subject, because its about more than the design of the weapon, and more about the freedom to create it, which is a big deal right now, globally as well as in the States.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is a fantastic development, anything that puts more power in the hands of the individual I root for. That said, it looks like it's going to be a few years before anything substantial is created.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Attempt by TPTB to ban 3D printers in 3...2...1...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Reminds me of the Liberator pistol the US dumped in France.

It's enough to pop a nazi and acquire something more substantial should the need arise.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Which way does it shoot?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
now they plan to download it to the internet and open source it so anyone can 3-d print one
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-5-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
not enough gun huh?

You all haven't seen this then, OP add this to the OP and you'll have a story!

Blew my mind, yes the plastic deforms after a few uses, but umm can we say disposable firearm?

To be honest, 3d printing is as innovative as the internet, smartphones and sliced bread.
Soon our whole world will be run by 3d printed technology.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GermanShep

But just think of the look on the home intruder's face when you pull out what looks like a squirt gun and as he is laughing his A$$ off, you cap him! It only has to work once to be effective as a gun. Of course, it only has to be a real enough threat to make a worthwhile political statement which, is the real intent here, at least until production techniques are improved.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
ht. I believe it is nothing but a positive thing for everyone.

ou should add as long as you live in a country that wants guns and has a willing gun culture

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

ou should add as long as you live in a country that wants guns and has a willing gun culture

I will never claim to know what other countries should have or need. That is the problem of those living within the respective countries.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

I will never claim to know what other countries should have or need. That is the problem of those living within the respective countries.

Agreed. Which is why should have said good for everyone in the USA

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what side of the debate anyone is on anymore.

The fact is the plans are already on the internet..

It's too late..

All we can really do now is wait and see what happens....
edit on 30-5-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join