It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sequester Was The Right Thing To Do: Dow Just Hit 15,003 : Private Sector Growing Economy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

Have you talked to any of the employees at any of the companies you've mentioned to see how they are faring? Even if those particular people are faring well, how about looking at jobs created at those companies?

Billionaire Perelman: What's Good for Corporate Profits Isn't Good for Jobs
This article seems to disagree with your assessment of the economy.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Have you picked up a phone and called the employees at Facebook or Apple?

Ask them if they are miserable.

Small businesses will boom when ObamaCare is repealed.

edit on 3-5-2013 by TauCetixeta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

no im not referring to any one specific event im referring to every time i see or hear about stocks doing good, they then fall and either everyone is effected or certain markets or certain companies are effected. but like i said im no economist so i cant cite any details. i remember when gas was a little over a dollar, milk was almost free, and a pack of smokes was 2 something(even though i didn't smoke back then, i was too young) and it seems to me that minimum wage was not too far off what it is now., and all you had to do was fill out a couple applications and you had a job or three. It is not that way anymore, and it seems like every time the market fluctuates(high to low, low to high) it only gets worse

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I suppose you didn't see the Daily Show episode this week about the effects of the sequester?

Many soup kitchens have had their funding cut from the sequester, as well as programs like "Meals on Wheels."

At least the fat cats are eating well!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

The Dow is NOT an economic indicator. The reason the Dow is doing "so well" is because corporations are buying back their own stock, and the value of the Dow is GROSSLY overvalued. A crash the likes of which we have never seen is coming. Believe the hype if you want to.

Read that article why the Dow is doing so well.

The U.S.Economy is growing at around 2.5%.

Jobs are being created.

Now is not the time for Doom & Gloom.

It's not doom and gloom... it's reality. The economy is growing at 2.5% because just a couple of weeks ago "they" changed the formula used to calculate the GDP, to benefit their false notion of a recovery of course. How is it that incomes are dropping, and yet the economy is growing? The main flaw of GDP is that it DOES NOT account for inflation, so just looking at the numbers you could say that the economy grew by 2.5%, but when you look at it closer you will see that it is costing more to live than the year before. You're right, jobs are being created, but that is mostly because employers are cutting full time workers to part time and hiring more part time workers. For example, instead of a company having 50 employees working 40 hours a week, they now have 75 employees working 30 or less hours a week.
edit on 3-5-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
WooHoo! The stock market is climbing! 401k's are bursting with money! IRA's are looking great! ALL IS WELL!

...just in time for them to give us a wee little haircut, Cyprus style, I'm thinking. Why not fatten up the piggy before the big dinner?

Free Market Capitalism is booming, much to the chagrin of the Secular Progressives.

The real estate market has recovered. Home values are shooting up.

Some Americans are no longer in an underwater position.
edit on 3-5-2013 by TauCetixeta because: (no reason given)

Crony capitalism is booming... we haven't seen a free market in this country in decades. The real estate market has far from recovered, the price of new homes is going up because the materials that are used to build them are going up, that's called inflation. When you combine the fascistic relationship between government, Wall Street, and big corporations you will have what appears to be a booming stock market, but in reality the stock market is booming because of zero interest rates from the FED and QE purchases of mortgaged backed securities and Treasury bonds. It is all a big fraud. We haven't even touched on the global derivatives market which is 10 times larger than the entire global GDP. There literally isn't enough money in the world to cover that massive crash WHEN it happens.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The so called fundamentals...?

Umm you are aware that every single fortune 500 corporation is overvalued by as much as 50% according to unbiased financial analysts?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t

Have you talked to any of the employees at any of the companies you've mentioned to see how they are faring? Even if those particular people are faring well, how about looking at jobs created at those companies?

So profits are bad?

You sound like the communists marching in front of McDonalds demanding that they

get their wages doubled.

Reality doesn't work that way.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I suppose you didn't see the Daily Show episode this week about the effects of the sequester?

Many soup kitchens have had their funding cut from the sequester, as well as programs like "Meals on Wheels."

At least the fat cats are eating well!

Jon Stewart is a Secular Progressive.

Of course, the narrative being thrown out is that the Sequester Monster is bad.

We are suppose to grow the size of government..............ALWAYS!

It's called Central Planning.

Wake up.

Thanks to the Sequester, we will keep our AAA rating all year long.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

no im not referring to any one specific event im referring to every time i see or hear about stocks doing good, they then fall and either everyone is effected or certain markets or certain companies are effected. but like i said im no economist so i cant cite any details. i remember when gas was a little over a dollar, milk was almost free, and a pack of smokes was 2 something(even though i didn't smoke back then, i was too young) and it seems to me that minimum wage was not too far off what it is now., and all you had to do was fill out a couple applications and you had a job or three. It is not that way anymore, and it seems like every time the market fluctuates(high to low, low to high) it only gets worse

You have a point. There are too many people and not enough jobs.

We need to grow the economy.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

People are either addicted to doom and gloom, or are trying to justify why they themselves are still sitting on their rears after years of "looking for work" - the economy is not perfect, but it has been rebounding wonderfully, considering where we were. It seems people get a small tidbit of knowledge about economics and suddenly think they know the answers. If someone is telling you the market looks good because the fed is printing money, you instantly know they understand a few soundbytes from a few talking heads, but certainly not the whole picture.

The only other explanation I can think of for why people don't "get it" that the economy is doing well amd improving, is that they're pessimists, and focus on the least-employable segment of the population, or, they're partisan hacks who would be head over heels with how "great" the economy is doing if Sarah Palin were president.

ETA - the economy is not great, by any means. When the proverbial # went down in 08, I personally figured 10 years to full recovery. Right now, i'd say we're 75-80% there after "only" 4 1/2 years.people are comparing the economy now to the economy during the greatest economic expansion we've ever had (the 90's and 2K's.)
edit on 5/4/2013 by dogstar23 because: clarify

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

People are either addicted to doom and gloom, or are trying to justify why they themselves are still sitting on their rears after years of "looking for work" - the economy is not perfect, but it has been rebounding wonderfully, considering where we were. It seems people get a small tidbit of knowledge about economics and suddenly think they know the answers. If someone is telling you the market looks good because the fed is printing money, you instantly know they understand a few soundbytes from a few talking heads, but certainly not the whole picture.

The only other explanation I can think of for why people don't "get it" that the economy is doing well amd improving, is that they're pessimists, and focus on the least-employable segment of the population, or, they're partisan hacks who would be head over heels with how "great" the economy is doing if Sarah Palin were president.

I'm just glad that home values are going up.

Americans in an underwater position is just bad all the way around.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The private sector is growing the U.S. Economy at an acceptable rate. Reigning in spending

with the Sequester was the right thing to do. As of April 2013 the U.S. GDP = $16 Trillion !

The USA is an economic superpower.

Write this down: U.S. Stock Market jumps over 15,000 on May 3, 2013.

Fox Business Confirms it!

Yeah and fox news is such a reliable news source!
Believe what you will but I've put the time in and know
the truth behind the success of such a pyramid scheme!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

Denial is no way to go through life my friend.

BTW, CNBC also reported that the Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped over 15,000.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

Fox News is #1 for a good reason.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
All I got to say is, batten down the hatches. When this falls, its gonna hurt.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mactheaxe
All I got to say is, batten down the hatches. When this falls, its gonna hurt.

There will be no fall. The Stock Market is being held up by the Federal Reserve.

Haven't you been paying attention?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The Dow is NOT an economic indicator. The reason the Dow is doing "so well" is because corporations are buying back their own stock, and the value of the Dow is GROSSLY overvalued. A crash the likes of which we have never seen is coming. Believe the hype if you want to.

Read that article why the Dow is doing so well.

The U.S.Economy is growing at around 2.5%.

Jobs are being created.

Now is not the time for Doom & Gloom.

just last night on HBO's "bill maher" he quoted an article that said since 2009 to today. the top 7% have had enormous growth in their income, while the bottom 93% actually lost income.
if you're in the top 7%, America is doing great, and there is no doom and gloom. can't wait for the sequester job layoffs to start, and believe me, the layoffs won't touch the top 7%

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Sequester Job Layoffs?

You will see furloughs and that's it.

The big, bad Sequester Monster was a myth created by Obama that backfired.

Stop drinking the Obama Kool-Aid.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

What he said! ^
Didn't we argue this extensively in another post here -------> www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t

So profits are bad?

You sound like the communists marching in front of McDonalds demanding that they

get their wages doubled.

Reality doesn't work that way.

Eh... Apparently you missed the point of that article. No where did I say or suggest that profits are bad. What I was showing with the article is that just because profits are up, doesn't mean that these companies are hiring people. This is a huge problem, all these fortune 500 companies that you keep praising are making record profits, yes but they aren't passing it down, just hording it.

By the way, I like how you kept bring up asking someone at Exxon Mobil how they feel about their job. Why don't I go down the street to the local Exxon station and ask the station attendant how he feels about making minimum wage while the company he works for is making record profits. I'm sure he'll have some choice words for me.

Of course, I already know how you are going to respond to my 2+ paragraph post. The same way you responded to my others, with about 3 -4 lines all separated like paragraphs, repeating the same "facts" that you've been repeating the whole thread. "But But fortune 500 companies are doing great!" So I tell you what, unless you respond with something more substantial and new this will be my last response to you. Enjoy having the wool pulled over your eyes, apparently there is nothing I nor anyone else on these boards can say to make you "Deny Ignorance."

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join