It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3,026 More People Die from Suicide in America Each Year Than in Car Crashes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
www.theatlanticwire.com...

Essentially, the suicide rate for people in their fifties jumped up by about 50 percent — and that rate is about 30 suicides per 100,000 people. That's incredibly high compared to 10 years ago, and what's perhaps more troubling is that 50-somethings aren't exactly those we normally talk about when we talk about suicide — the CDC says primary concern usually rests with children and teens.
The jump in the Baby Boomer rates, health officials say, is partly due to economic problems: "The increase does coincide with a decrease in financial standing for a lot of families over the same time period," Dr. Ileana Arias, the CDC's deputy director, is quoted as saying by The New York Times, which added that "Another factor may be the widespread availability of opioid drugs like OxyContin and oxycodone, which can be particularly deadly in an overdose." And the CDC reports that the increases show more attention needs to paid to people in those age groups.

Yahoo picked this up after being published in the Atlantic wire which used the latest CDC figures. With the preferred method of committing suicide it makes the statistics for firearm related deaths easier to manipulate by those who wish to do so.
Furthermore, I made a thread about psychotropic drugs a while back www.abovetopsecret.com...

that brought up some (?good?) points about the use of drugs being pushed on society and I have to wonder what percentage (cause and effect) they have in the CDC report of suicide?
Also I wonder what the rates look like in many of the E.U countries (Spain, Greece etc etc) where their economic problems seem to be much more severe? Either way what a lonely, sad way to die

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I've been on four different depression drugs. Each one I took had some nasty side effects, including one that did actually make me want to kill myself.

I agree, we shouldn't just toss drugs at people and see if it works or not. Hopefully we can eventually balance brain chemistry of those affected.

It is very sad.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

Yes, back to cause and effect.... if the other thread is correct, with about 100 million being on psychotropic drugs.... and IF they are prone to make one entertain thoughts of suicide, then over time the suicides will increase......I know, I know, allot of ifs.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Most suicides are done while under the influence of alcohol. Fact that is always glossed over.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

We need suicide control, I think we should ban suicides....

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I guess this is Hope and Change?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by 727Sky

We need suicide control, I think we should ban suicides....
In some countrys, it is illigal to commit suicide, and you can actually be prosecuted for doing so, that is if you fail ofcause.

I have no idea if any have been prosecuted though, but could be kind of ironic to be sentenced to death for trying to die by your own hand.

There are many ways to die, and in most cases the ways are limited by laws, safety or simply removing the cause.

The point in all this gun debate, isn't to remove the cause(guns), it's simply to lower the risk of death by guns, especially for innocent people.

Car accident death is slowly becomming lower, as more safety is being issued, laws, seatbelts, speedlimits and so on, but accidents do happen, and there is pretty much nothing you can do about that.

Suicide is one persons choice, and is pretty much irrelevant in this case, as people choose what they find easiest.

Murder by guns, is the issue, and should in some way or the other be minimized, if one law could save one person, well, i think that one person would be happy for that law.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Reported suicides sometimes are just a fast way to close a case, "Gabeesh?" (Jersey style)

Wanna go fishing ?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
IMO economic issues are not good reason to die , it is a sign of desperation and materialist view of life.

Some one said :

The ones who commit suicide are kept into great hate of themselves. They kill themselves , but the hate doesn't die. It is the closest friend until they come back alive.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

By mechanism, the greatest increase was observed for use of suffocation (81.3%, from 2.3 to 4.1), followed by poisoning (24.4%, from 3.0 to 3.8) and firearms (14.4%, from 7.2 to 8.3).

Well you are going to have to ban a few more things than guns like ropes, shower curtains, coat hangers, and anything else one can use for suffocation.

Prescription drugs, which last time I checked, were killing people to the tune of 160,000 a year or Hospitals and Doctors seem to be at the top of the list for killing people every year......

Where do we start banning stuff to get some Utopian result?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
reply to post by Mianeye

By mechanism, the greatest increase was observed for use of suffocation (81.3%, from 2.3 to 4.1), followed by poisoning (24.4%, from 3.0 to 3.8) and firearms (14.4%, from 7.2 to 8.3).

Well you are going to have to ban a few more things than guns like ropes, shower curtains, coat hangers, and anything else one can use for suffocation.

Prescription drugs, which last time I checked, were killing people to the tune of 160,000 a year or Hospitals and Doctors seem to be at the top of the list for killing people every year......

Great, you completly misunderstood what i wrote.

Would you please read it again

Drugs are bad mmm'k, people should know that by now, but i do agree that doctors are over prescriping some drugs, but to make them the cause of murder by guns, is just speculation.

I can tell you prescription drugs is a big topic in the news at the moment where i live.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Some years ago, I read an article about all the deaths by gun in a week in the US

The thing that surprised me was the number of old people who either killed themselves or killed a loved one then committed suicide.

That's why I support medically assisted suicide. Sometimes, when people have no more hope of a pain free life anymore they kill themselves. Why not provide assistance for those people who are near the end of their natural life and no longer want to be in pain? Why make them shoot themselves in the head?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
IMO economic issues are not good reason to die , it is a sign of desperation and materialist view of life.

Some one said :

The ones who commit suicide are kept into great hate of themselves. They kill themselves , but the hate doesn't die. It is the closest friend until they come back alive.

I think if you were 55 and worked your entire life, just to become broke/in massive debt or homeless, with no family, you wouldn't have the same view on "materialism". No one cares for people in their 50's that don't have the means to do it for themselves. If you have no family, money or are disabled, what do you do?

Louis CK had a great bit about 50 yr olds in his latest HBO special.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye

Originally posted by 727Sky
reply to post by Mianeye

Great, you completly misunderstood what i wrote.

Would you please read it again

Drugs are bad mmm'k, people should know that by now, but i do agree that doctors are over prescriping some drugs, but to make them the cause of murder by guns, is just speculation.

I can tell you prescription drugs is a big topic in the news at the moment where i live.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

Murder by guns, is the issue, and should in some way or the other be minimized, if one law could save one person, well, i think that one person would be happy for that law.

Maybe a misunderstanding, my reading skills are not what they once were.?
Chicago which is becoming the murder capital of America has an almost total ban on guns. 20 Shot During One Day Of Violence In Chicago, Including 10-Year-Old Boy

They can ban, buy, threaten all they want there are those who will always have some means of getting a gun or even making one themselves.

Same with committing suicide whether jumping from a bridge or drugs those who are intent on killing themselves can be very creative.

Read more at www.inquisitr.com...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

Maybe they should find a way to trust in god.

And the point that we will die one day , better wait and end it the best we could. (50 is much near to the end)

We all will live all we have and travel to eternity.

It better be a good travel with a good start.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

not just financial problems, but lack of spirituality and widespread Alcohol usage.
I can not imagine that a natural (free of Alcohol) human that has faith, can suicide easily.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

not just financial problems, but lack of spirituality and widespread Alcohol usage.
I can not imagine that a natural (free of Alcohol) human that has faith, can suicide easily.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There is a good chance that if one commits suicide then the punishment for a previous life may not have been completed in order to be born into a life with less strife. It is best to hang in there as long as you can. All these drugs may be getting in the way of a natural order of things. A redo would suck.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
There is a good chance that if one commits suicide then the punishment for a previous life may not have been completed in order to be born into a life with less strife. It is best to hang in there as long as you can. All these drugs may be getting in the way of a natural order of things. A redo would suck.

Many of the Buddhist to include my wife believe that is so. If I had cancer or something and was in continuous severe pain and destitute I might have to take a chance on the redo; man would she (the wife) be pissed!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think a majority of the suicides or at least a sizable % can be attributed to Vets returning to the country. Many of them are suffering from severe psychological damage after the combat they have seen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join