It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May snowstorm in Missouri and Arkansas??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
When summer does kick in, it is probably going to literally be hell. Not only is it likely going to be extremely hot, plants and animals are showing significant migration changes towards the north, that means a whole lot more insects, minus bees

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I live in Southern Arkansas. It has been mostly mild to chilly. Finally it seems to be getting colder. I kept telling everyone that it never felt like winter to me. We did get a few days where there was frost on the ground in the early mornings. I think we are just now really getting into winter. Everything looks wrong because trees are blooming, flowers are growing and there are too many spring birds. In spite of what it looks like, there is a feeling like winter in the air. It is like the seasons just reversed themselves. So at this point we will probably have our summer in August and our fall in January.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynxpilot
I never realized there were so many scientists on this website. Especially those who study meteorology. Comforting to know we have so many of them looking out for us and presenting us with all of this good, hard science that proves beyond a doubt the anthropogenic weather conditions.

It doesn't take a scientist to research, to put up a couple of links and then theorize what's happening using the links as evidence for that theory. Isn't this site all about opinions. Oh, wait, I get it. It's okay for your opinions but if you don't agree, well then, it's bad science. I clearly said twice in my post that these are my predictions about what's coming. As far as the links, I suppose those can be debunked as false evidence, right? Because you don't agree.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You know.. the funny thing is.... The notion of a scientific consensus on global warming actually is funny. Well, it would be, if it weren't pushed on people as if it were cold (no pun intended) hard fact.

Russian Scientists: Global Cooling on Horizon

Now folks can laugh that one off...and many have.

The next one is NASA and while they tow the line that it's actually warming...at the end of that rather lengthy article of techno-speak to get there, even they admit it's warmed a whopping 0.9 Celsius since 1880 as I read that. So, the lines look HUGE ....until the scale is looked at.

Earth is Cooling…No It’s Warming

Then we come to a source that isn't quite so easy to laugh off ..because they aren't taking a stand either way...but presenting the fact that, for lack of any evidence of warming for the better part of a decade now (where there should have been dramatic sign of it ..to have listened to the gloom and doomers talk a decade AGO..), it is at least POSSIBLE ...we're all quite wrong in the acceptance of this "consensus" idea.

Evidence for Predicting Global Cooling for the Next Three Decades

and of course, my personal favorite for a reason to keep the critical thinking cap on when it comes to global warming arguments in general....

"It is the greatest scam in history. I am amazed, appalled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; It is a SCAM," John Coleman wrote in an article published on ICECAP, the International Climate and Environmental Change Assessment Project, which is known for challenging widely published theories on global warming.
The maverick weather forecaster is known for his regular critique of widely accepted global warming theories. The Weather Channel broadcasts weather forecasts and weather-related news in the US 24 hours a day.
(Source: Founder of the Weather Channel)

Nothing above should suggest in absolute terms that it is not or cannot happen or IS happening ...just that there is no absolute proof it IS happening either. Politicians are pointing to a system, as if they know the inner workings to a predictive certainty, which the best experts still make only best guesses to plug into simulations, which produce models ...for more guesses.

Suggesting factual basis is produced this way is like saying a Ouija Board is as good as a cell phone, in my humble opinion. .....and if we, as a species, get this one wrong? That is...we take major action to correct more than mere pollution in reversing EITHER a 'warming' or 'cooling' trend we may later discover was opposite? Well...We'll have found we wrote our own death warrants ...since we'll have accelerated the very thing ..by pure ignorance .. we'd all meant to try and stop. At least some, I believe, are after this in good faith.

Others just see power and untold BILLIONS in things like carbon credit exchanges which literally trade pollution between fictitious models of allowance ...rather than outright end it.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Couldn't have said it better. In the 70's, it was global cooling. Now it's global warming. And if you take one side or the other, you end up with the typical ad hominems (like above) who think your skepticism must be attacked. Furthermore, they think the world rotates around web links. A lot of good that does! So much for somebody actually participating in the science and bringing out facts, when all we need to do is sit around and link somebody else's speculations.

I'd like to see some real research done, and done by independents who don't line the federal pocket. Of course, somebody cries wolf and the first thing out of the politicians mouth is penalize them with taxes. Taxes don't cure the problem, they only make federal government more powerful and make business less competitive.

Oh, and I'm just east of Springfield, MO and it's 37 & rainy today.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Politics on Global Warming is only lip service and taxes, it has nothing to do with scientific consensus. 99.84% of peer reviewed papers support the theory of man made Global Warming, that is incredibly significant, that is scientific consensus, because not only do the papers support the theory, the reviews of the papers support the theory. You will find if you research and see what scientists who have 0 vested interested have to say, that politics actually has a large hand in denying what science says, yes even the Liberal Dems, who are all too comfortable saying "but this guy says it isn't happening or isn't our fault" and using it to do nothing.

A few contrarian scientists do not a debunked theory make, they are just given center stage on a platform and shouting through a megaphone. There's thousands of peer reviewed papers and you are more than smart enough to understand them, I would kindly suggest that you read some of them as opposed to politically and economically slanted articles that cherry pick data and statements.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Maybe it's because, even the scientist are confused, cause of all the weather changing all over the world constantly breaking every weather record being it cold or hot, windy or wet.

They all want to put out an opinion, and if posible get some reputation and being recognized, or even make some money on it.

The fact is the weather pattern all over the world is changing, and for every year the change are getting more and more evident.
In reality it could be a combination on natural cause and manmade cause, no one is absolutly sure about that yet i think.

The co2 moneymaking thing(scam), is just the government to try to make it look like they are doing something, and make you the guilty one to pay for it.
It might have a little effect over a long time, but is it enough.

In reality we should pay for it, but not with money but by changing the way we use or missuse the planet we live on, and the way we just take anything for granted cause we don't effing care.

But to try and change 7 billion people over night who dosn't care, is propably the biggest challenge ever in the historie of mankind.

edit on 3-5-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

But global warming is a warming of the upper atmosphere that causes all this chaos. It doesn't actually have to mean that where we are living is warming.

As the ice as the north pole melts it releases bound methyl mercury into the environment also. The glaciers capture the methyl mercury because of their cold. So tin foil hats may be mad hatter disease
Just kidding

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Global Warming is not the warming of the upper atmosphere it is the warming of the lower atmosphere, where we live... the troposphere.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

The fact is the weather pattern all over the world is changing, and for every year the change are getting more and more evident.
In reality it could be a combination on natural cause and manmade cause, no one is absolutly sure about that yet i think.

Now that I do agree with. I agree entirely with you. Not by some % figure by people with lots of letters after their names (While plenty of others, with letters of their own, say just the opposite) but because I personally saw this clear back in the 90's. Not warming or cooling as any recognizable pattern either direction. Just...weird weather, all over. Things where they shouldn't have normally been for either events themselves or the severity of them. Now we see that clearer today, and again, I agree. We ARE absolutely seeing more extreme weather of both the hot and cold variety.

Some may recall, Russia this year had record breakers for their winter and bitter bitter cold. That's saying something worth noting for the Polar Bear Russians. You''d think they could live in a walk-in freezer and love the experience at times..lol. They sure weren't loving anything about this winter, eh?

I don't know what's causing it..or how much, if at all, man is contributing to it. Rez could also have good points about the Methane he's taken a very ....dedicated.. (
) interest in pursuing. I'm not writing that off at all after following his threads quite closely since day 1 with it.

I think that is the point and problem though. I'm not sure ...and nor is anyone else for cause or even trend direction. Is warming happening? Well, as NASA confirmed, yeah ... if 0.9 C in over 100 years can be called dramatic trend lines. (which it is on a chart zoomed that tight for micro scale). Then again, even they admit the warming hasn't been there as predicted over the last few. Sure... We've reduced our pollution, but China and India are belting out the gasses like there is a bonus for being #1. Net result is an increase if anything ...yet not shown in real world impact. What to make of that?

It's why I just can't say ...and won't even try and pretend I ..or anyone else.. absolutely knows anything but how to generally guess and make educated ones. Some better than others, but none near 100% right, eh?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
So sorry wrabbit. send some rain my way but no snow okay..

Be safe out there on the roads.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
So sorry wrabbit. send some rain my way but no snow okay..

Be safe out there on the roads.

That's what I love about you, Manhater. You could walk into a 5-alarm bar brawl and sincerely wish everyone a good night while simply strolling on through to the back door so you could check the next pub in line.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I am here, been working my fanny off this year on plants, trees, shrubs, flowers, vegetables, you name it.

You know how this feels to watch everything covered in ice pellets, snow and freezing winds.

Grab a good cuppa, kick back and join me in thoughts of better days ahead:

Namaste my friends

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Oh I'm so sorry Antar... I heard faculty talking about this yesterday because the college had their big sell off of plants for pennies on the dollar vs. Lowes costs starting the weekend before last. One of my favorite instructors was SO proud and happy that she got there early and said she came out with about $600 worth of Lowes priced plants for all of $60 from what the agriculture program has at the end of every semester. She had been out planting them right away too.... She must be having fits and I can only hope ...not literally crying over this. I know she's as proud of her plants and gardens as anything else in life.

This was a cruel cruel thing for nature to do, for those who do go whole hog when winter seems to have broken for the year ...which is absolutely HAD seemed to until now. Heck, I thought people were making a joke the day before yesterday when I came into an evening class and someone said snow was on the weather forecast.

(Sad.. I know.. I know more about Tehran, Moscow or Pyongyang at times than I do the town I live in..... Just replace city names and I was like that as a trucker too.)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by rickymouse

Global Warming is not the warming of the upper atmosphere it is the warming of the lower atmosphere, where we live... the troposphere.

You are right but I look at things different than most people.

I read a lot of research articles written by the researchers on both sides. I looked for what they had in common and how they differed. The lower atmosphere warming is only temporary. as the poles melt the ocean currents slow and evaporation increases as does energy in the air, but not necessary the temperature, it gets more violent. This then theoretically causes the rapid onset of an ice age in the future. When I say rapid, it appears that vast areas can form glaciers in a hundred years.

My saying upper atmosphere is the area where the clouds are, I look at things from a visual point of perspective. Lower atmosphere is ground level to me. You are looking at the short term localized ground and water temperatures. When the temperature at the areas of the clouds increases, it starts forming more clouds, rain in some areas and causes more humidity. Other places turn into deserts and get no clouds.

I am trying to research the dipoles of the earth, trying to find their locations but can't seem to find that info. Probably mineral deposits scattered around. I think excessive mining is causing a lot of the problems we are seeing myself, taking out the metallic crystals in the earth. I also think that fracking the earth to get gas and oil also causes a break in the conductivity of the rock which also effects geomagnetic currents. It is a lot more complex than just green house gasses. The chemicals we dump into the oceans and rivers also effects the earths ability to heal. They change the chemistry of the biodome. I really researched this subject before I started commenting on it.

I look at things in a futuristic basis, not what we immediately are experiencing. For the right now......You are correct.....but you have to remember that places that were cool may become colder also. From the articles I read, it appears Siberia and upper Europe will get much colder in the near future. That is not a certainty but just a prediction. Lower Canada may get nicer and the lower US states may sizzle. Nobody really knows for sure how the climate changes will fair out because we have made so many changes and cannot follow historical data anymore. I feel we should have triggered an ice age already but haven't for some strange reason. This could be really bad. We are in uncharted territory now, there is noone who can correctly use historical data to predict what is going to happen now.

No matter what, we need to stop this pollution, it is the answer no matter what the cause.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

As you know I have a back yard Nursery, so ANYTIME you hear of plant sales like that LET ME KNOW ASAP!!!

No kidding, that was something I would have put my shutin' mentality aside for and been there will bells on.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I agree with you Wrabbit2000 and from one of your links

The ramifications of the global cooling cycle for the next 30 years are far reaching―e.g., failure of crops in critical agricultural areas (it’s already happening this year), increasing energy demands, transportation difficulties, and habitat change. All this during which global population will increase from six billion to about nine billion. The real danger in spending trillions of dollars trying to reduce atmospheric CO2 is that little will be left to deal with the very real problems engendered by global cooling.

CONCLUSIONS Global warming (i.e, the warming since 1977) is over. The minute increase of anthropogenic CO2 in the atmosphere (0.008%) was not the cause of the warming—it was a continuation of natural cycles that occurred over the past 500 years. The PDO cool mode has replaced the warm mode in the Pacific Ocean, virtually assuring us of about 30 years of global cooling, perhaps much deeper than the global cooling from about 1945 to 1977. Just how much cooler the global climate will be during this cool cycle is uncertain. Recent solar changes suggest that it could be fairly severe, perhaps more like the 1880 to 1915 cool cycle than the more moderate 1945-1977 cool cycle. A more drastic cooling, similar to that during the Dalton and Maunder minimums, could plunge the Earth into another Little Ice Age, but only time will tell if that is likely.

If any of you have lived in a mid to northern climate as i am sure many of you do, the thought of a colder climate scares the hell out of me. I for one hate winter.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It is'nt only Missouri and Arkansas...Here in Spain last week it snowed as well.
Small villages about 30 miles from the coast woke up to find themselves upto half a metre under snow...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
This freak snowstorm has absolutely everything to do with Global Warming. It's an assumption that Global Warming means warmer weather everywhere, eventually yes, that will be the case but as we approach a warmer global mean temperature it will throw weather patterns totally out of whack.

It's a tough thing to understand. Less ice at the top of the world, often considered the planet's thermostat, might normally signal warmer global temperatures, not colder ones.

But the way weather works isn't so simple. Without a substantial ice cover, Arctic wind is less constrained. The jet stream—the belt of cool air that regulates weather around most of the Northern Hemisphere—then dips farther and farther south, bringing cold air from the Arctic closer to the Equator.

The result is much colder weather dipping into the spring much longer, and more forcefully, than normal. (See a world map of potential global warming impacts.)

National Geographic

So Wrabbit
, while you may take issue with us Global Warming people, it's exactly as climate science has been saying, weather patterns will destabilize, most notably heavier precipitation when it does rain or snow, actually just more extreme weather in general exacerbated droughts, hurricanes etc. You just happen to be in an area affected by a destabilized jet stream that is pulling northern weather down to you.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

There was some light snow in Norway today as well. So I guess it must be the jet stream playing up. The Northern latitudes will get colder and the Equatorial regions will get hotter. The Vikings/pagans believed that Ragnarok, the final battle between good and evil would only start once there were three years of no Summer.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
If you think climate change means that everything everywhere is just going to get warmer, sadly you've eaten all the lies and disinformation the fossil fuel industry has spent billions to feed you.

If you've been reading peer reviewed scientific journals for the past 30 years, this should come as no surprise to you.

I'm not surprised.

Are there people attempting to profit from climate change? Yes. Does that alone mean anthropogenic climate change is a hoax? No. That would be like saying that just because some people profit from cancer, that all cancer is a hoax.

Could this specific weather event just be a one off anomaly? Sure. Its possible.

All we have to do is wait and see who is right, because the human race is certainly not going to change it's course, even as all the warning signs begin to emerge, as they are currently.

If anything, as resources dwindle and the climate changes, the human species will only seek to extract resources faster, to pollute and destroy faster in a futile attempt to sustain an unsustainable system.

If you are honest with yourself, you know that our current relationship with the planet's ecology will have only one future. None.
edit on 3-5-2013 by StrangeOldBrew because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join