It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama okay with morning-after pill sales at age 15?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
These aren't abortion pills.
And if you know the science behind it.....then you'd know you have to take it within 48-72 hours after the act, or it's not effective.

Why should a female aged 16 have to wait to see a doctor, which could take longer than 72 hours, for something that has been determined safe for use at that age?

Do you guys want more teenage pregnancies?
edit on 3-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Probably the same reason 'liberals' like to go around banning 'boom sticks'.

'it's for the children' such empty words.

I agree, but banning guns doesn't apply to me, I'm not 100% liberal I guess but enough to see that abortion isn't a choice that should be decided by people who will never see, take care and pay for the child's needs.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

So teenagers get to self-determine, correct?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Sure, why not?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Everyone knows that teens make perfectly logical decisions. none of which are ever based on hormones, life experience, or peer pressure. They have an innate understanding of their own mortality, and all decisions are made based on how it will affect the rest of their lives.

I know this because I was a teen, and Driving my Fathers Impala at 45 miles an hour in reverse on a dirt road in the rain, at night had logic written all over it.

PS, it only took me two days to find all his hubcaps, as they were spread all over the county.
And I almost forgot, I was 15. Mom and Dad were on vacation.

edit on 3-5-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

So what's your point? What does that have to do with the topic at hand?
Of course teenagers should be held accountable to the laws, just like adults are. What you posted is illegal and dangerous. The situation at hand is no longer illegal and is not dangerous.
Debate my points, don't misconstrue what I said or add things I didn't say. What you just did there is bordering on a strawman argument.
Why can't people change their viewpoint when presented with facts or logic that contradict their previously held beliefs?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Pretty damn sure if given the chance, and could speak it would want the same chance at life as it's mother did.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

So what's your point? What does that have to do with the topic at hand?
Of course teenagers should be held accountable to the laws, just like adults are. What you posted is illegal and dangerous. The situation at hand is no longer illegal and is not dangerous.
Debate my points, don't misconstrue what I said or add things I didn't say. What you just did there is bordering on a strawman argument.
Why can't people change their viewpoint when presented with facts or logic that contradict their previously held beliefs?

i was agreeing with you my ghostly friend. That as a society, we should surely know that Teens WILL make their own decisions. And there has to be some allowance for when they make the wrong ones.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

No. We have a law preventing kids under 15 from purchasing emergency contraceptives. On the other hand we don't have laws preventing anyone going to rehab for alcoholism or purchasing Nicorette for cigarettes. If anything there is a bias against underage sex compared to underage smoking and drinking.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

oh sorry. The use of sarcasm made me think you were taking a counterstance.

lol, I'm not that old. I still remember vividly all the stupid decisions I made. Fun times.

The good news: underage drinking charges amount to absolutely nothing, other than a fine. Most of them are removed from your record, and the ones that aren't NO ONE takes them seriously.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by beezzer

No. We have a law preventing kids under 15 from purchasing emergency contraceptives. On the other hand we don't have laws preventing anyone going to rehab for alcoholism or purchasing Nicorette for cigarettes. If anything there is a bias against underage sex compared to underage smoking and drinking.

um, you can't buy nicorette gum under 18. Well, you can with a prescription.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 48e18
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The rate may be higher, but the total number won't be due to the fact that whites outnumber blacks by such a large margin.

It is absolutely ridiculous for you to say Obama is doing this "because he is black". That is your statement if you want to simplify it down to it's core...."Obama is doing this because he is black". Do you not understand how that is racist?

LOL.. your a riot. I Never said any such thing. Go back and read all my posts. I made some very good points postulating why Obama may be doing this.. the black community Should be on his mind close to his heart. It has to play a factor in his decisions. If not, he's even a worse leader that he lets on.

You guys want to paint me into a racist corner because I refuse to cop to your Politically Correct BS. Again, go re-read all my posts. I was simply speculating on Obama's possible reasoning. His love for the black community and those demographics HAVE to help him with these decisions. You really want a president that wont weight such things in decision making? No wonder this country is in the crapper.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I will admit I wasn't positive on that one. Now that I think about it it makes sense too. So I have no problem coming out and saying I was wrong. However, the point still stands regarding drinking. Anyone can attend AA or go to rehab if they are an alcoholic. So if anything underage drinking has the preferential treatment in our society.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

You know what. I don't think you're racist....but you sure said some stupid things.

Did you really just say this pill shouldn't be legal because black people will continue to have sex, and use this as contraception?

Did you also just say that the pill shouldn't be legal, because how else are parent's going to find out their kids are having sex if they don't become pregnant?

For the first question, do you know how expensive this pill is? It's not cheap and it's EMERGENCY contraception. What's so hard to understand about that? No one will be using this regularly.
Condoms aren't 100% effective. I've had to use it before...well not me, but you get the point. Things happen, and it's nice to have a backup plan. That's all this is for. It will NOT be used by people as regular contraception EVER.

I have no response to your second reason why the pill shouldn't be around. It's /facepalm worthy.

I'm fairly certain those were the points you were trying to make,and I did not misconstrue your intent. Correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Takes a real man to admit he's wrong.

And I think you're absolutely right about the alcohol part, it is looked upon as okay for teenagers to drink underage.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Gasp! Obama doesn't want more unwanted teen pregnancies! The horror!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
My thoughts...

It's called "Plan B" for a reason. It's supposed to be used as a back up in case a condom breaks or a woman is raped. Unfortunately, kids are more irresponsible than at any other point in history and this will become the default birth control method for many.

Instead of having to convince Mom that she needs BC to clear up "acne", she can just horde boxes of this stuff under her bed.

Kids worry more about pregnancy than STD's anyway -- so if they can get out of using a condom they will. I can already hear the guy..."Condoms suck, we'll just go to Wal-Mart and get the morning after pill"

Or, guys will be leaving morning after pills like mints on girls pillows.

This should be behind the counter, but available. It shouldn't be as easy as buying a box of bandaids. You should have to talk to a pharmacist or a pharmacist technician and have them fully explain what it is and what it does.

Also, there should be limits on how many you can buy. Where I live I have to give my name, address and DL # to buy a damned box of Sudafed for my sick girlfriend. I think something similar should be done for these. It will reinforce the idea that this is a BACKUP PLAN, and not a primary form of birth control.

TLDR: These pills shouldn't be handed out like how Oprah does giveaways ... "And you get Plan B, and you get Plan B...EVERYONE gets a Plan B! Yay!"

Well, you get the idea. I'm all for it being available, but not so easy to obtain.
edit on 3-5-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Only when it comes to stopping life from developing.

They just cant buy a pack of cigarettes, cause it could cause death, or harm those who are pregnant.

Word of advice to teens? Keep your legs closed.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I didn't realize every teenager now had a trust fund. Plan B costs around $50. If kids are going to start hoarding this they must be loaded. If anything I'd say this makes it harder for teens to get. At least before, with a prescription, there was a chance their insurance might pay for it. Now they're going to have to pay out of pocket.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I cant help but think opposition is coming largely from this notion that access to an emergency contraceptive is condoning 15 year old promiscuity or something and that's just silly.

I think the problem is the disconnect we have in a country where someone can make the claim that having cigarette displays in plain view, cartoonish characters on tobacco ads and alcohol ads, violence in video games, and drug references in music all lead to children smoking, underage drinking, violent behavior in schools, and kids using drugs... but it is "ridiculous" to suggest that throwing fistfulls of prophylactics and abortificants at children don't give them more of a green light to be sexually active.

Again I say this, the problem with the American youth, from sex to drugs to violence to failure to thrive isn't found in any corporate or pharmacological source. The root cause of this nonsense is the absence of the Father figure in the average US houshold. Men: Grow a pair and actually raise the children you sire. Women: STHU about feminism and independence and realize that, just as every child benefits from having a strong mom, every child benefits from and needs a strong male father figure in their life. Sometimes that may even mean having to stick it out with a partner you can no longer stand, but hell... put the kids first for a damned change.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join