It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama okay with morning-after pill sales at age 15?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by beezzer

Ah.. see you kind of catch yourself up there. You don't actually believe that people should be able to do what they want with their bodies then. So if someone can drink pennyroyal tea and that is their choice with their own body, but it aborts their baby then what?

Absolutely. I believe people should have the freedom to do whatsoever they want to do with their own bodies.

You either believe they can do what they want with their bodies and that includes abortion or you don't. Obviously you don't. The reason I am pro choice is because I am a male and I have decided that I couldn't force a girl to carry a baby and give birth because I can't relate and it's their body.

When a pregnant female does something to her body, it is impacting the body of another sentient individual. I am absolutely against abortion, since it impacts another life.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah i agree. Why don't you.
If they can get knocked up they can decide to carry out the pregnancy or not. IMO they can also choose to die for the country, not die for the country, drink, smoke, inject, snort, whatever they want. So does that mean you agree with birth control or am I the more libertarian of the two of us?

You, obviously. I am personally against abortion because it involves another person.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by beezzer

What hypocrisy? 15 year olds can purchase both aspirin and EC over the counter. They can't take either in school. You make it sound like teenager are now going to be downing fistfuls of Plan B like a pack of Skittles.

And what is going to stop them?

Nothing.

Ergo, why not allow them drink and tobacco?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

When you buy any PSE product they put your information into a national database. It then checks whether you have bought more than 3.6 grams of PSE that day or more than 9 for the month. If you're over you can't buy any more. The database has been there for a bit but it's use wasn't mandatory until this year.

In terms of emergency contraception, I don't think such a database is necessary due to the expense of EC and cheaper options being readily available. However, if you listen to people on this thread these kids are going to start popping these pills like candy. Such a database would put these fears to rest.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I feel like we've had a non sequitur here. I was referring to your comment regarding taking medication in school. That has nothing to do with beer or tobacco. That said there are laws against underage drinking, smoking, and sex. Depending on the situation a cop will generally give the kid a warning in all three cases. If the kid becomes an alcoholic they can go to rehab. If the kid wants to quit smoking they have a number of options. If the kid has unprotected sex they can now purchase Plan B. I once again fail to see the hypocrisy.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My position is that if someone is old enough to be sexually active, they are old enough to make the decisions whether or not they want to get pregnant. It's a TOUGH call, but I think Sebelius (not Obama) made the right decision here.

Keep in mind, this is a contraceptive that PREVENTS pregnancy, not an abortifacient.

I've never heard that word, the last one in your post.
But yeah, I agree with that. It's still prevention, rather than an "undoing".
and a star for the word..

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I feel like we've had a non sequitur here. I was referring to your comment regarding taking medication in school. That has nothing to do with beer or tobacco. That said there are laws against underage drinking, smoking, and sex. Depending on the situation a cop will generally give the kid a warning in all three cases. If the kid becomes an alcoholic they can go to rehab. If the kid wants to quit smoking they have a number of options. If the kid has unprotected sex they can now purchase Plan B. I once again fail to see the hypocrisy.

But taking medication in schools is part of it!

A person, aged 15, can self-determine her reproductive rights. She can make decisions that will affect her body.

Yet. . .

A 15 year old cannot take an asprin in school if she has a headache. She is judged unable to make that determination for herself.
She cannot drink alcohol. By law, it has been determined that she is too young to make any decisions that will affect her body.
She cannot smoke. By law, it has been determined that she is too young to make any decisions that will affect her body.

Do you see the dichotomy here?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You're making two arguments here. The reason kids are not allowed to take medication unsupervised at school is a liability issue. The school doesn't know how many aspirin that child has taken. They don't know if that child is allergic to aspirin. They don't even know if it is aspirin. If that child has a bad reaction to whatever they're taking it's the school's fault. They're trying to protect themselves from a law suit.

In regards to alcohol and tobacco, there are laws against underage use. Just like there are laws against underage sex. Despite these laws we offer help to children who have made mistakes regarding alcohol, tobacco and sex. So I fail to see the dichotomy of which you speak. Teenage sex and drinking are becoming more prevalent and accepted. Physiologically this makes sense. Kids are hitting puberty earlier. As for smoking, rates are going to down but teen smoking has always pretty much accepted if not acknowledged.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Then either make it all legal or all illegal.

I see constantly. . .

Be responsible, don't drink.
Be responsible, don't smoke.

Where is "Be responsible, don't open your legs"?

Neo had it right!

We have seen a manipulation in society where some actions are irresponsible, yet others are. We see teens demonized for smoking, yet they can't help having sex?

Aren't both about personal responsibility and self control?

We allow teens to self-determine their own actions in one arena, but deny them the same self-determination in others!

Either teens are responsible enough to handle sex, drinking, smoking. . . or they aren't.

Which one is it?

Big Pharma in collusion with Big Government are manipulating what we can self-determine. You may not see a conspiracy here, but I sure as hell do.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
You know,this post caused me to ponder,and indeed write a short treatise on this subject-but that was'nt allowed- 1)My hubby witnessed me writing treatise from my cell-then cell mafunctioned-as it always seem to do when i:1)have something important to say 2)when i try to foster a new friendship/uphold an established one.Then h went inside+asked my 15yo gal to steg aside+just quickly step aside+let me open a tab+let me write my simple treatise-this time personal matters,the hubby himself,indirectly intervened.Then i said:"Bugger all that-im writing the treatise now,seeing im on pc+we've had signal all day!" AND when after writing treatise-i press reply-SUDDENLY SIGNAL'S GONE..My whole family saw this.How does one copy+preserve a big text,at times one's not allowed to post,please?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

You, obviously. I am personally against abortion because it involves another person.

Well it surely doesn't involve your opinion on it.

Why do conservatives always say things like : Live and let live...
but when it comes to abortion, then it's a big no no.

On top of that, most wouldn't even chip from their "hard earned" money to help this new born child if the mother doesn't have the money to properly take care of this "unwanted" child.

Hypocrites

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Its a funny world where the country that has the most "freedoms" has also some of the strangest rules...you can marry under the age of 16 in a lot of states with a judges nod but you have to wait till 18 to park the pork so to speak, you can shoot each other with weapons from the day you are able to point and pull but you can't have a drink till you are 21....someone should work out that if you can get married at 15 then the hubby is going to want their oats and swollen stomachs are a general product of that

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by theMediator

Why do conservatives always say things like : Live and let live...
but when it comes to abortion, then it's a big no no.

WTF?

Live and let live is bad?

Killing people is good?

*Scotty, beam me up!*

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Why do conservatives always say things like : Live and let live... but when it comes to abortion, then it's a big no no.

Probably the same reason 'liberals' like to go around banning 'boom sticks'.

'it's for the children' such empty words.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wonder if Obamas stance changes if HIS children are taking these things.

I bet you it would........

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Sorry:

President Obama said today that "as the father of two daughters," he supports his Health secretary's decision to block over-the-counter sales of the Plan B "morning after" birth control pill to girls under 17 years of age.

content.usatoday.com...-qs

That's is messed up.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Figures.

Im all for teaching children abstinence. Not cheep fix for a night of fun.

Edit to add.. Using your OWN daughters as a Push for an agenda is low, even for a PRESIDENT.
edit on 3-5-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I still fail to see a double standard. Once again we have laws prohibiting underage sex, drinking, and smoking. Despite these laws, for the most part cops will turn a blind eye to all but the most egregious of offenses. We have plenty of instances of TV shows and movies advocating each one of these. So it's not like the media is biased. Then we also have safety nets for kids when they make mistakes regarding sex, alcohol, and tobacco. They seem pretty similar to me. We publicly frown against such acts, but at the same time we accept that such acts are inevitable and as a result plan accordingly. Maybe I'm just dense today but I fail to see this dichotomy to which you keep referring.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I still fail to see a double standard. Once again we have laws prohibiting underage sex, drinking, and smoking. Despite these laws, for the most part cops will turn a blind eye to all but the most egregious of offenses. We have plenty of instances of TV shows and movies advocating each one of these. So it's not like the media is biased. Then we also have safety nets for kids when they make mistakes regarding sex, alcohol, and tobacco. They seem pretty similar to me. We publicly frown against such acts, but at the same time we accept that such acts are inevitable and as a result plan accordingly. Maybe I'm just dense today but I fail to see this dichotomy to which you keep referring.

Okay. Let me be blunt.

Bullsh#t.

We have laws prohibiting underage sex yet we have laws allowing underage girls getting "abortion" pills over the counter?

EXPLAIN!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We have laws prohibiting underage sex yet we have laws allowing underage girls getting "abortion" pills over the counter? EXPLAIN!

We have a winner!!!!!!
edit on 3-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join