It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama okay with morning-after pill sales at age 15?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

No you are trying to say..

1) All..oops 80% Young black girls aged 12-13 are promiscuous. Whats your statics of white girls?

2) You are saying the president is doing this to favor only black people.

All you had to do was just say teenage girls like the discussion was doing so far, but you had to divide and pick. Whatever.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 48e18

There's actually no evidence that it can inhibit implantation. A single pill simply isn't powerful enough to alter the endometrium. Daily use could affect the endometrium but even this has not been proven to inhibit implantation. The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics has even come out and said there is no evidence it can affect implantation and that the warning label should be removed from EC products.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

1) All..oops 80% Young black girls aged 12-13 are promiscuous. Whats your statics of white girls?

All you had to do was just say teenage girls like the discussion was doing so far, but you had to divide and pick. Whatever.

No.. your reading things into my post. I was trying to answer Wabbits question on why Obama might be doing this. Your even taking what i said out of context. I never said 80% of black girls have sex at young ages. I said i live in a city that is 80% black. I was not saying Obama is doing this to favor black people.. only that it could be a factor in his reasoning - which you have to understand is true - Obama is black.. or haven't you noticed.. and I'm sure has had to have noticed the more black girls get pregnant at young ages than white girls thing - from his own communities. The man isn't a total idiot you know.. just mostly. LOL

You see it HAD to be done - because I dont believe you can simply ignore the political implications this has for the black communities, or the government walfare programs. If this thing takes off, it will have far reaching consequences. Not making this distinction would be the wrong thing to do. All ideas have to be explored in order to understand whats in this guys head.
edit on 3-5-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

I'd tend to agree. As I've noted before on threads, I live in an area where the Census Dept shows a literal White racial make up exceeding 90%. No joke...those are the raw numbers. If it were a racial issue, you'd expect Planned Parenthood to have little to do and crime or social service issues to be small. We'd be sunshine and lollipops, right?

Well, of course, it isn't that way ..and the fact is, we just have the cold, harsh light of racial truth (and lack of racial cause) on display. Whites are absolutely no better in any way, when no one else is around in sufficient number to distract with and point to. I'm sorry to report, my humble little corner of the mid-west has all the problems and issues of anywhere else ...though perhaps not quite as BAD. That, only because we don't have the pressure and depression of a metro area.

...although, listen to our scanner feeds tonight or tomorrow night (Friday/Saturday for Cinco De Mayo Weekend) and see just how bad it can actually get without any metro headaches to generate more.

It's not a white/black thing. Indeed.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by 48e18

There's actually no evidence that it can inhibit implantation. A single pill simply isn't powerful enough to alter the endometrium. Daily use could affect the endometrium but even this has not been proven to inhibit implantation. The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics has even come out and said there is no evidence it can affect implantation and that the warning label should be removed from EC products.

It is what the drug is designed to do, it is what the natural hormone will do to the body.

www.drugs.com...

Plan B tablets contain the medicine levonorgestrel, a female hormone that prevents ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). This medication also causes changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.

Now whether it is effective or not in the current dosage doesn't matter really. The drug has the potential of doing so. Not all bodies are the same, it could work 100% of the time in 5% of the population and 0% of the time in the other 95%. The fact is that they still have to label it so and people need to be aware that it is still a posibility.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The pill doesnt seem to have high risk of any serious side effects. So why not allow it? Teens have some rights, they can drive, consent to sex and enter simple contracts. Why shouldnt they have a say in some issues affecting their own body?

I think this is a good move. There may be crazy parents that would force their own child into pregnancy against their will, and the state shouldnt help them in any way.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Did you all know that young women already have access to this type of pill? Yeah, it's called the "Pill". Birth control pills can be used in an emergency situation for unplanned conception. Taking 2-5 pills the morning after, is like using the morning-after pill.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It's not a white/black thing. Indeed.

But.. you don't KNOW that. Sure it effects white girls too but it will effect black girls More - it has to because more black teens get pregnant than white girls.

Although white teens have a lower pregnancy rate (44.8 in 2008) than black teens (121.6) and Hispanic teens (111.5), each of these racial/ethnic subgroups had declining rates between 1990 and 2008
www.childtrendsdatabank.org.../312

You can go online and read tons of studies that back this fact up. This means more welfare money goes to young black teens than young white teens. It's not a racist thing i'm talking about at all.. it a demographic.

I see it as Obama Knows these things. He has to consider all the angles.. after all some folks thought he was smart enough to be president.
edit on 3-5-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I'll give ya one great example of why "It's perfectly safe! Here..have some!" is about as reliable as taking the word of a man who says "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help....trust me".

Thalidomide.

If you aren't familiar with what it is and how it became an example to use? It's worth a moment to read about. It's an example of why drugs with relatively new histories ...and in this case, quite new to this age range for uncontrolled distribution and seeing what happens next ..are a real real bad idea. If this drug had a few decades history? It may be quite different. Like, say, the real birth control that does still require that same 15yr old to get a doctors prescription and testing to be allowed to have.

Funny on that.... They can get the pill to handle the problem retroactively, without any trouble ..but can't get the pills which would largely make it a moot point to begin with. Now why do you figure that is? At least those have more than a bit over a decade's track history and known side effects under almost all conditions and combinations with other things.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You are wrong that "they" can't get the "pill", but can get this type of substance.

Girls can go to free clinics and get the pill for free. I did when I was young. And as for comparing this to Thalidimide....I do believe that is a stretch. This pill is just a heavy dose of hormones which have been tested for years in the Pill. I am not condoning bad behavior here, but being realistic.

link   

link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is a bit of a false analogy. Thalidomide does not naturally occur in the body while the hormones contained in emergency contraception do. It should also be pointed out that the FDA now adheres to a much stricter set of regulations which are in no small part due to thalidomide.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Source

Seems there are some questions and disagreements on the implantation question.

A 2010 study 3 of ulipristal acetate (ella) found that at certain doses, it can decrease the thickness of the endometrium (by 0.6 to 2.2 mm), but it is not clear that this would in fact prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.

And even if it does prevent implantation, many in the scientific arena consider implantation the beginning of a pregnancy.

Regardless, IMO, if a girl is old enough to GET pregnant, she should have autonomy over her own body.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 48e18

Like I said in my last post, the official FDA position is that these drugs can affect implantation. The actual doctors say that the research does not support this fact. Daily use could affect implantation but an actual abortion would be much cheaper.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by 48e18

However, this really isn't that powerful of a drug. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is actually a very very dangerous drug if you take a few more pills than you are supposed to. Laxitives are very dangerous if taken too much. Aspirin can cause nasty effects if you take it with a high fever (which a lot of people mistakenly do). So I don't see this as a huge issue of putting a "powerful drug" on the shelfs...we already have many many more powerful and dangerous drugs on the shelves that any kid can go out and buy.

This is very true. Tylenol can cause permanent liver damage if too much is taken on an empty stomach. Too much Ibuprophen taken over a long period of time can cause heart problems. All available to any 15 year old who walks into a store/pharmacy. All you can do is put instructions and warnings on the bottles and hope they pay attention to them.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The rate may be higher, but the total number won't be due to the fact that whites outnumber blacks by such a large margin.

It is absolutely ridiculous for you to say Obama is doing this "because he is black". That is your statement if you want to simplify it down to it's core...."Obama is doing this because he is black". Do you not understand how that is racist?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I could be wrong... but I googled out several local sources before saying that. While it seems it's easy and, yes, money isn't a factor for most? It also said prescription was necessary to get the monthly box of regular birth control pills?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by SunnyDee

I could be wrong... but I googled out several local sources before saying that. While it seems it's easy and, yes, money isn't a factor for most? It also said prescription was necessary to get the monthly box of regular birth control pills?

Maybe so. They do see you, as a patient first, then give you a prescription and fill it for free or a few bucks, on the spot.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The morning-after pill has one effect with two functions: by homonally convincing a woman's body that she is already pregnant, it (1) prevents the ovaries from releasing an egg and (2) alters the uterine lining, preventing implantation in the event an egg was already released and becomes fertilized.

I just wanted to clear that up. Some of the responses made me wonder whether the function was sincerely understood. Carry on!

edit on 5/3/2013 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
New York is looking at raising the age to buy tobacco products to 21.

Yet 15 year olds are supposedly old enough to make a determination that will affect their body.

Either lower the drinking/smoking age to 15, or get rid of this idiotic rule that allows 15 year-old girls to make these individual determinations.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join