It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama okay with morning-after pill sales at age 15?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I have to ask myself... What is he thinking??

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- President Barack Obama said Thursday he was comfortable with his administration's decision to allow over-the-counter purchases of a morning-after pill for anyone 15 and older.

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday had lowered the age at which people can buy the Plan B One-Step morning-after pill without a prescription to 15 - younger than the current limit of 17. The FDA decided that the pill could be sold on drugstore shelves near condoms, instead of locked behind pharmacy counters.

Umm.. Hello? Mr. President? The girl won't be able to have a cigarette for 3 years or a beer for another 6 ...but she can take a pill, over the counter, which causes a major process in the human body to be short circuited through biologic impact? What is wrong with this picture?

Rather than take matters into his own hands, the Justice Department argued to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that Korman should have ordered the FDA to reconsider its options for regulating emergency contraception. The court cannot overturn the rules and processes that federal agencies must follow "by instead mandating a particular substantive outcome," the appeal stated.
Sour ce

Umm.. Yes, as a matter of fact, that's precisely what the courts not only can but have been doing for most of this nation's history. We usually call the extreme version, judicial activism and mutter nasty things under our breath as the left wildly applauds it when it works in their favor. I can't often recall one branch actually, publicly, challenging the concept of authority to do so ..and actually having the gall to suggest how the court SHOULD rule on matters?? Especially.. Umm.. The Department of Justice?! When did it become their business?

I don't bring this to ATS to start an abortion debate. NO ONE wins abortion debates. Ever. Without Exception. No, this isn't about what the pill's outcome is.

This is about the fact it causes a major biologic process to be interrupted and short circuited. That, as I've been told by medical professionals and educators at the college I attend (whom I asked out of curiosity) ..CAN have very bad side effects in some people. It's why a prescription is a good idea on a wide variety of drugs. A Doctor should know the patient, their history and their medical condition before giving them something which could create complications and make a thing worse.

In support of that being my sincere position and not an ulterior motivation to hide some other agenda, I'd even go so far as to say that a 15 year old should be able to consult with a physician on this most critical of issues without Parental consent. I wouldn't like it. I don't want it. However, kids have sex ...we can't stop that. Should we have unwanted pregnancy with their irresponsible actions of youth as well? Abortions later on? No. Absolutely not.

^^^ That, said to clear up my personal thinking and motives here.

This is a MEDICAL issue. Not a POLITICAL one. Politicians, especially our President (...who seems to fancy himself an expert on pretty much every subject that can possibly come along these days), should have NO say in this. Medical professionals should be the first, last and only words of consideration

......and they will be for the girls who become that % where something goes wrong in their bodies for whatever reason.

edit on 3-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: No Source on 1st post. Sorry all. My bad

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow, that's crazy.

I'm a realist. I know how young I was when I started having sex, and i know the kids today aren't waiting nearly as long, so by itself, the age of 15 doesn't to me seem that crazy. 15 year old girls are having sex, and because many places teach abstinence instead of any type of birth control of safety tips, these young kids are having sex without protection and without a clue. Know a 13-15 year old? Ask them if you can catch an STD from oral sex. Too many of them will say no, you can't.

But when the legal drinking age, in some states is 21 correct? It's 19 in my part of Canada, might be 18 in Quebec i don't remember. Tobacco products, same age. And thats all tobacco products, yes, at the age of 17 I was ID'd for rolling papers and matches :/

Therein lies the issue: the legal ages for other, arguably less dangerous substances, are higher than 15. I agree the 15 year old girl should have access to birth control or even abortion options. I don't agree with a 15 year old being able to take something so potentially dangerous when they can't even have a beer legally yet. I'm surprised this drug is even so readily available honestly, but when you look at various other drugs and the "potentials" it fits.

edit on 3-5-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Hmmm... it's a tricky one. To be honest, I don't feel strongly about 'abortion' one way or another, but I suppose it's also true that the morning after pill doesn't necessarily abort anything as pregnancy may not have occured - it's simply a failsafe.

In any event, thinking about this objectively, I suspect it's better to permit a 15 year old who has made a sexual mistake access to something relatively safe that will protect her from an inappropriate pregnancy. It is certainly true that the vast majority of 15 year olds are not ready emotionally or financially to be parents.

However, there needs to be some mechanism in place to impress upon youngsters that the morning after pill is an emergency measure, and not something to be used in place of contraceptives.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
First let me say that any pill that does what this does should only be sold on prescription. Too many things can go wrong. Having said that, I also can't see why a girl that is sexually active can't get one on prescription with a 'use as required' attitude. Over the counter just means many will use it way too often as a defacto birth control

There are some major problems in this whole can of worms. Much of it stems from the idea that physical age has a bearing on maturity. It does not.

I am a counselor and have met many 14 year olds that are quite capable of making a decision on sexual relations. I have met 40 year olds that are incapable and inept and continue to make disastrous decisions for themselves.

As one example, the age of consent laws are based on physical age while the required decision making processes are in fact a psychological age that varies widely from person to person.

P

+5 more 
posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

The highest teenage pregnancy states are in those "areas" that are all about abstinence. Where birth control is not taught nor sex education, nor values. It is all about there is none of that until you are married.

Well that is just not realistic, not in this age. Kids are gonna experiment, and damnit they fall in love. I have two boys. I was the one that told them about the birds and bees at the age of 11, both of them. I always talked to them about safe sex and condoms. Because I was so open with them about it, they would come to me and ask me questions and tell me stuff. Not all of it but they knew Mom always was there for them. My oldest's first love was at 16 and he fell in love with a girl his age. I don't know all the details but I do know at some point they got physical, they were together for 4 years. My youngest's first love was at 15, with an older girl, I know that got physical a little bit sooner than I would have liked. But I know they knew how to take care of their business.

If I would have had girls I would have done the same thing. The morning after pill is a blessing. The girls don't have to take birth control pills and they don't have to look an abortion in the face. And I think it is awesome that they are going to provide it over the counter now. And it should be available to 15 year olds. If they are sexually active, that is their choice, you are not gonna stop a teenager from doing what they want. You can only hope that you have led them to make right choices for themselves. If their parents aren't gonna lock that up and they make that choice, then I am happy they have a good birth control device.

This isn't about Obama for goodness sakes. This is about teenage pregnancy. We all need to take the lead here.

link   
Why shouldnt it be an option?

I cant help but think opposition is coming largely from this notion that access to an emergency contraceptive is condoning 15 year old promiscuity or something and that's just silly.

I'm cool with teenagers having access to insulin too. Does that mean I'm all for shoving fatty foods and suger down their throats?

If there's a problem that has a solution why hide the solution?

link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

Well, I may well agree, as I did, that by sheer necessity of the reality that kids can, do and will have sex...whether we want to even imagine our own kids doing such a thing at that age ..(Oh, of course, MINE never will.
), do we want them having a pill they can buy without any check or medical approval by anyone? These can cause very serious physical effects upon their young bodies if misused or even used "properly" by the wrong person with the wrong conditions.

They're generally safe. Which is, of course, why they're even approved for use here. However, "generally" is a VERY big word when it's nothing but the individual judgment of a child we have to trust that all has been considered and is being done precisely right. Further, that if something does go wrong, they will VERY promptly then tell their parents all about what they did, and then tried to do ....before the complication may kill them.

.....of course, if they have to see a doctor for a casual visit, if nothing else first, then they'll also have a point of contact they already know is aware and they can trust to go back to ...before they die in silence. I really think it's that profound an issue and that simple of one. It's absurd, without ever touching on the morality or value based questions of the process the pill is designed to interrupt and short circuit within their body.

edit on 3-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
My position is that if someone is old enough to be sexually active, they are old enough to make the decisions whether or not they want to get pregnant. It's a TOUGH call, but I think Sebelius (not Obama) made the right decision here.

Keep in mind, this is a contraceptive that PREVENTS pregnancy, not an abortifacient.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
After just seeing a report, here in my state, that young girls are still being sold into sexual prostitution, I was shocked. I'm afraid I have to agree that 15 is fine. Would you rather have all the unwanted babies, that may not end up in loving adoptive homes? We have a big enough problem already with the foster care system. If a 15 year old, or any age girl or women, can prevent an unwanted pregnancy, I have to agree with her right to do so.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Now, let's just hope the teen pregnancy stats don't go through the roof. Oh wait, how would we know. I will bet that STDs will increase. Teens won't be near as paranoid about pregnancy if they know they can get this, no questions asked, so condom use will drop.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Educating them on such things and what would be the result is the way to prevent many things. The urges are there but need a way to control it. Asa guy. i only gave into those urges after i graduated from college, i was financially good, and had a clear head.

Peer pressure is another evil thing, and how its okay to have sex at 13-14, that just dumb. when i was in high school i seen girls like 14-15 yrs old get into random guys(obviously over 17-18+) with cars. I'm thinking did their parents teach them anything?

I personally don't care for it, i mean, they gonna have sex, and you can't stop it, and yes, it will increase thee chances of them having sex because of the pills. The thing i worry is the the person that is going to suffer in this is the baby. Dangerous of pill on the productive system and as well as the teenage pregnancy.
edit on 5/3/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I think its a tough call as kids will do what kids do... But i agree that really it should go through a doctor or health clinic first, at least here in the UK doctors are impartial and will give as much help and advise they can. If it's over the counter with no checks I find it ridiculous. What if the child is allergic to a component of the pill etc.

@david64 From my experience, and i'm in my late 30's, growing up well educated and being exposed to the HIV problems in the 90's I never always used a condom when i could and that carried on for a lot of my life. So I think its a good thing that if mistakes are made or even if the condom spilts (I have had this happen a couple of times) at least the girls have something to fall back on which isn't a full on abortion.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Ummm.. WOW.

Is there anything at all that a child cannot be trusted to do???

We're all aware of the fact that the brain not being fully formed until at least a couple years beyond this age isn't just 'old folks being mean'...but medical and physiological fact, right?

There are reasons that adults have had to get a prescription for this pill, prior to this point, let alone a child with a child's judgment for a MAJOR medical decision with a potentially lethal medical solution ..should they be among that % it goes sideways for.

Of course... It's also quite accurate that THIS pill is part, if not the majority of what drove the fight against Obamacare by Hobby Lobby (a quick check will verify that by the headlines of it alone) as well as others. I don't suppose the urgency for political approval of such a thing to be as free to get as a pack of M&M's in the checkout isle has a thing to do with that..right?

Just a happy coincidence that it removes one of the major previous points of contention which brought both Hobby store and Church to Federal Court against his pet health plan. Nothing is ever connected tho.. huh?

This really IS NOT about Abortion. Not one bit. It's about making a VERY powerful and VERY serious drug available like a bottle of aspirin with all the controls and medical supervision that carries. I'm just beside myself that 15 is now suitable for such a thing.

Why not drop smoking and drinking ages?? I'd LOVE to hear the argument which doesn't make every last person saying this a total hypocrite in the process. I mean, if they can be trusted without issue for this? Why not that? I'm dead serious. ....and they won't need to be serious to die. At least a % of them likely will.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Just a note to add and clarify a couple details... According to the FDA and WebMD data (the latter...I think..not being a directly supported source of information from the Pharma who produce either of the two drugs that qualify under this), It's been on the market in the US to see side effects at all since 1999. So, under 15 years. It;s been available without prescription but behind the counter and by request for girls over 17 since 2009. The time Obama has been in Office ...for reference of how long.

I suppose, I can be heartless here and say, why should I care? After all, as the most powerful authority figure in the United States of America, personally and directly endorsing the use of this by children without any supervision or approval ..of anyone ... makes HIM directly liable for anything which goes wrong. That may or may not fly, but if I were a plantiff's attorney a year or 5 down the road with a case where it did go wrong? I'd absolutely never miss taking that one around the dance floor.

I'm not sure a sitting President has ever actually endorsed a drug in this way before?

Now, upon further reading ..It's interesting to note. They say they have no confirmed cases of serious bad outcomes. Yet, at the same time, make no secret of how this should NOT be taken if a number of things may be true...including that a girl is already pregnant. Interesting..in that I can't find anything to quite say what happens if they're wrong ..or use a child's logic to figure this might just work as a tiny bit late abortion pill. (I saw kids use far crazier logic for far worse things...and well aware of what they were doing too... It's why 18 IS an age to separate child from adult)

So... While we are now seeing invitation to Class Action lawsuit against pills like Yaz, for instance ..where I can recall the almost gleeful girls shown in commercials for THAT one, so recently I was surprised to hear the company already being sued half to death over it ... We're sure this will never turn out to have had any bad outcomes for anyone .. now or in the future.

I'm sure then, it's perfectly logical that...the same girl can't get the little wheel dispenser of monthly birth control pills without a prescription but CAN get this. Yup.. Makes total sense to me. In fact, there is little precedent I can think of where something quite like this has been done. Oh well.. First time for everything and it's a brave new world. Poor kids will be the guinea pigs to test the new OTC drugs for full scale, wide spread use, misuse and just plain innocent and ignorant abuse for impact...long and short term.

After all... The Politicians say it's a major priority. It must be safe. (Say..... they say the vaccines are 110% perfectly safe too! So, lets never question THEM again either.
...see how silly this is??)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Keep in mind, this is a contraceptive that PREVENTS pregnancy, not an abortifacient.

That is not always the case. It doesn't always prevent fertilization, if the egg is already fertilized it will just prevent implantation.

For some, fertilization is considered the start of pregnancy (the start of a new life).

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

This really IS NOT about Abortion. Not one bit. It's about making a VERY powerful and VERY serious drug available like a bottle of aspirin with all the controls and medical supervision that carries. I'm just beside myself that 15 is now suitable for such a thing.

I personally don't agree with this decision to allow the morning after pill to be bought off the shelf, but in my case it is because it can be used as an abortion pill (the pill works to "prevent" pregnancy in different ways depending on if fertilization has happened or not).

However, this really isn't that powerful of a drug. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is actually a very very dangerous drug if you take a few more pills than you are supposed to. Laxitives are very dangerous if taken too much. Aspirin can cause nasty effects if you take it with a high fever (which a lot of people mistakenly do). So I don't see this as a huge issue of putting a "powerful drug" on the shelfs...we already have many many more powerful and dangerous drugs on the shelves that any kid can go out and buy.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 48e18

Why? because I prefer to use the word Black instead of the wrong term African American? I am Not a racist. I have many black friends. They would laugh at you if they read your post.

I simply called it like I saw it from my experience with my cities 80% black population. I live with these people day in and day out. I see what they do, how they do it and why they do what they do.

What exactly is racist about anything I've suggested? Obama using this so they can not give out so much welfare? If it's true more black girls at age 12 have sex than white girls - thats non of My doing I can assure you. LOL

As far as child services.. Obama is a DAD. He has a GIRL. He would allow how 15 year old girl to take a pill without parental consent, over the counter, preventing the truth from coming out that she's having sex You know.. the parents wont know unless the girl gets pregnant. -

I'd think thats Horrible for a Dad to encourage.. it's like he's saying, sure Honey, you can take all the drugs you want as long as you take this stuff that will mess with the drug test. Or - Here honey, smoke all the pot you want as long as you mask it with incense.. etc.. you get the idea. I'd have no respect for That Dad black or white.. and this is the kind of chump we have as Our president....
edit on 3-5-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
After a little research it looks like the side effects aren't that bad. The most common is nausea. There's a chance for vomiting, breast tenderness, and abdominal pain but these occur in much fewer cases. The active ingredients of these drugs are hormones that already occur in the body called progestogens so I'd say an allergic reaction isn't likely.

Kids are having sex. They may make mistakes. The only reason people under 17 were required to have a prescription was to act to dissuade them from having sex. The only thing this policy probably achieved was a greater number of teen pregnancies. Kids aren't going to want to go talk to their doctor about sex. That's not going to stop them from having sex though.

People saying that kids will start using this as a primary form of birth control are deluded. Most girls have a birth control prescription by the age of 15. Depending on their insurance and brand of BC this will generally cost between $0 and $15. Condoms aren't expensive at all either. Plan B on the other hand costs around $50. If they're not using these cheaper options what makes you think they're going to be shelling out $50 every time they have sex?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join