It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan PM's 'stealth' constitution plan raises civil rights fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
That's the title of a recent article that appeared on Reuters - [here]

Japan has a LOT of issues going on. Fukushima, Currency wars, Land disputes, and a massive population who are happy that Shinzo Abe is back as their PM, "helping" their economy:

Abe, 58, returned to office in December for a second term as prime minister and is enjoying sky-high support on the back of his "Abenomics" recipe for reviving the economy through hyper-easy monetary policy, big spending and structural reform.

Wow. What could possibly go wrong with currency wars? Perhaps Abe knows something about where currency wars eventually lead, as he is trying to change their constitution (which was gifted to them by the USA after WW2) in ways that could lead to an authoritarian Japan with more restrictions/restraints on things like freedom of speech.

"I fear this might lead to a society full of restrictions, one that does not recognize diversity of opinions and puts restraints on the freedom of speech as in the past."

Abe's grandfather Nobusuke Kishi was a pre-World War Two cabinet minister who was arrested but never tried as a war criminal. Kishi served as premier from 1957-60, when he resigned due to a furor over a U.S.-Japan Security Treaty.

In Asian cultures, family is everything. PM Shinzo Abe's grandfather Nobusuke Kishi, was the Minister of Commerce & Industry for Japan in 1941, until the surrender of the Japanese. Later on, he was elected to be Prime Minister of Japan in 1957. In 1960 he resigned in a "furor" because the USA wanted Japan to ratify the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the United States and Japan. There were massive anti-US demonstrations being held by the Japanese, so he quit, technically after the treaty passed.

And this sentiment in the article I think is a bit worrisome to what else may be going through PM Abe's mind:

Riding high in the opinion polls and buoyed by big stock market gains, Abe has grown more outspoken about his conservative agenda, including revising the constitution and being less apologetic about Japan's wartime past - a stance that has frayed already tense relations with China and South Korea, where memories of Tokyo's past militarism run deep.

What say you ATS? It seems to me like countries everywhere are getting their pieces into place for war. I know there is a lot more info about Japan, it's culture, and current situation that I ever could =D

join