It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Helps You Sleep?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm one of those folks that insomniacs hate. I can easily go to sleep within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow. It's like a mental switch that I can turn to "off". The rougher part, is having to get up for something if I've already "flipped" this switch, like if my wife forgot something. Likewise, I wake up exactly one minute before my alarm goes off every morning, like clockwork. I only really use it for the wife.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

yikes, well I don't expect your comment to last too long oO - the thing that should never be spoken of.

but op, valerian used to help me sleep amazingly, a full sleep if I took a larg enough amount.. waking up refreshed and not groggy or fuzzy. the stuff stinks to hell and back though if you make your own tea.

they say passiflora helps you calm your mind and is good with the sedating anxiolytic effects of the valarian to get you off to a good sleep. did for me anyway, but my mind always races no matter what so I still needed to learn to meditate to some degree to get into the mind set for a good sleep too.

ambient hypnotic techno crap I discover on the free streaming radio services.. nice and dreamy low floaty fluff music that goes for 27 minutes each tune. like mental fishing where you cast your mind to it and just doze into it, sort of.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Likewise, I wake up exactly one minute before my alarm goes off every morning, like clockwork. I only really use it for the wife.

I am one of those too. Wake up 5 minutes before the alarm goes off, and I'm always like ugh.............

It's annoying, isn't it.

You just jynxed me...

My weekend off..

Now I have to work.

Think I need to start shutting my phone off.

edit on 3-5-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Sex!

I don't know how to put this in a longer sentence!

P

Absolutely correct!

If this doesn't do the trick, then I suggest trying another round with an increased level of intensity. Or you could just exercise several hours before bedtime, but you may feel less satisfied with this method.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
reply to post by Manhater

I found your post funny. Honestly, I can't sleep without zanax. That's why I'm up so late. Gonna give it another try.

Xanax is an addictive pharmaceutical, arguably more addictive than alcohol (for some people). It's most certainly not intended to take on a regular basis, rather an "as needed" basis. If you can not sleep without taking a Xanax, that may be an indication that further proves my point. There are many homeopathic solutions to ligitimate insomnia. It would require a little time and patience to adjust during the transition, but you would be happy you did.

*Speaking from experience and from many others I've known to suffer from insomnia.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I am not a big fan of taking sleep aids. I think sleep should come naturally when the body is ready. I personally have a nerve condition that keeps me from sleeping normal hours, so I have to be exhausted, then i am lucky if I get 2 good hours before the pain wakes me up. The cookies and milk really were just a wishful thinking, If only it really worked.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
soulpowertothendegree

Ive suffered from insomnia for years it was so bad I ended up on ambiem I would spend days awake as soon as I would go to bed id just lay and repeat the day over and over in my head I just couldn't get my brain to sit still long enough to fall asleep..
Since Ive been on ambiem I have no problems going to sleep but the drug only last about 4 hours on me and I'm up prowling the floors but 4 hours of sleep is better then none and my health has improved I envy people that just go to bed and sleep like a baby..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Valerian root helps me.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Sorry for my violation in your thread. Also sorry mods.

Certain things help me sleep. Someone else has said sex, and yes that does help, but sometimes doesn't.
I don't ever sleep well, takes me forever to fall asleep and then once I do, I'm tossing and turning an waking every hour or so. It's frustrating.
I've tried the ambient sounds with headphones but it's difficult for me to sleep on my back.
I wish I could just drink milk and eat cookies and go to sleep. That would be lovely. Oh I just saw that the cookies and milk were wishful thinking. I'm sorry. I heard melatonin works for some, it made me have horrid dreams so I stopped.
-nat
edit on 3-5-2013 by natalia because: Meh

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

YES!!! I was gonna say.... When Mrs. Sulaw and I sex it up~

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalia

Sorry for my violation in your thread. Also sorry mods.

Certain things help me sleep. Someone else has said sex, and yes that does help, but sometimes doesn't.
I don't ever sleep well, takes me forever to fall asleep and then once I do, I'm tossing and turning an waking every hour or so. It's frustrating.
I've tried the ambient sounds with headphones but it's difficult for me to sleep on my back.
I wish I could just drink milk and eat cookies and go to sleep. That would be lovely. Oh I just saw that the cookies and milk were wishful thinking. I'm sorry. I heard melatonin works for some, it made me have horrid dreams so I stopped.
-nat
edit on 3-5-2013 by natalia because: Meh

Melatonin keeps me awake. It's like a contradiction, I know.

I have an app on my iPad that reads audiobooks. It has a timer to shut off, you can set it at fifteen minute intervals up to an hour. I like to fall asleep while listening to a good book. I usually pick something I've already read, so there's no suspense to keep me awake.

Listening to crickets and thunderstorms does it for me, too.

Wish you luck, natcat. Insomnia sucks.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Pills, several.

Oh, and Kang69, concerning your question:

You know I've always wondered if high intelligence has anything to do with insomnia. I could be wrong but it seems to me that if you can never go to sleep that means your brain is always active, always "on" and alert.
Looking at the posters here, I can see where you might think that's the case. But then there's me, so it doesn't always hold true.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Someone on here already said it but melatonin really does work. Your eyes get heavy and it just knocks you out. I sometimes take a 5 mg tablet. I don't sleep longer - just more deeply. It's like 4.00 at Walmart.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Two shots of Nyquil washed down with Scotch.

I'm out in 15 mins.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by B1rd1nFL1ghT

Originally posted by SinMaker
reply to post by Manhater

I found your post funny. Honestly, I can't sleep without zanax. That's why I'm up so late. Gonna give it another try.

Xanax is an addictive pharmaceutical, arguably more addictive than alcohol (for some people). It's most certainly not intended to take on a regular basis, rather an "as needed" basis. If you can not sleep without taking a Xanax, that may be an indication that further proves my point. There are many homeopathic solutions to ligitimate insomnia. It would require a little time and patience to adjust during the transition, but you would be happy you did.

*Speaking from experience and from many others I've known to suffer from insomnia.

I agree with you 90%. However, please don't paint with a wide brush. There are many of us that suffer from PTSD. I'm one of them. You can check my history, but I wasn't able to reply last night because I was in a sleep study. I'm having a rough time.

Not that I owe you any explanation, but I only utilize what I need as infrequently as possible. Some abuse. Some don't. Homeopathic's just don't work and that is the accepted science.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your response and you are right for those that abuse a medication that is very helpful for others. Peace.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I have always had a hard time getting to sleep. Some nights it's worse than others. Right now Im 8 mths pregnant and the insomnia is BAD! I will lay awake til 4am sometimes even later. I toss and turn, it is miserable. I have Sominex to take and I only take it if I am up til like 4am. If i can get to bed at a reasonable time I don't take it. It helps me get to sleep and go back to sleep when I get up to use the bathroom, which is like every hour like clock work right now. lol Pregnancy bladder, gotta love it!

I do find thunderstorms will knock me out so fast and I sleep thru the night. If only I could have one nightly lol. I always get excited when we have a night storm. About a month or so ago we had some really nasty weather come in and I was so happy. My mom on the other hand was calling me with updates because she was worried about the severe weather. I don't have cable and had to explain to her that my phone app was like her weather channel and I knew exactly what was going on even down to how far the lightning was hitting from my house. She is so amazed by phone apps lol. I was more than happy to have the tv off, open the curtains and enjoy the show and sounds of the storm that night. I was out cold in mins! I slept very well that night even with the bathroom breaks. I use to have an app on my iPhone that was a storm, it worked very well. I'd put it on and be out cold in mins.

I have tried all the other remedies people suggest and they just do not work for me. I really dislike the warm milk suggestion. I love milk and warm milk is just gross to me. I like my milk ice cold not warm. lol I tried it once and it made me sick.

Another thing with storms is if they happen during the day I can take a nap. I have never been able to just take a nap like some people can. If it storms now that is a different story. I am usually fighting myself not to fall asleep. Storms are like my ambien minus the side effects lol.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm one of those folks that insomniacs hate. I can easily go to sleep within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow. It's like a mental switch that I can turn to "off". The rougher part, is having to get up for something if I've already "flipped" this switch, like if my wife forgot something. Likewise, I wake up exactly one minute before my alarm goes off every morning, like clockwork. I only really use it for the wife.

Oh lucky you!!

I do have the internal alarm clock thing though. I have never used an alarm clock to wake up. It use to drive my ex nuts. Whenever we went on a trip he still insisted on setting all alarm clocks in the house. I would be up way before the alarm clock making breakfast. He would always wake up to it and be amazed that i was already up. I don't know why I can do that but I remember in highschool being able to wake up at whatever time I told myself to be up by. When I need to be up at a certain time I tell myself when I go to bed to be up at this time and I always am.

If only I had the switch you do to go to sleep in 5mins. I'd be set!!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
A couple of Benadryl works for me (diphenhydramine). I've heard your body can build up a tolerance for them if you take them every night, but after nearly 10 years, they still work for me.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Sex!

I don't know how to put this in a longer sentence!

P

HEY! The OP asked for pics! Come on, we'll wait while you load em up.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree

Trouble sleeping?

Doesn't have to be milk and cookies. All I have to do is stuff my face with anything and within twenty minutes I'm out for the night. Probably not a healthy to eat before sleep, but sometimes that coffee and cigarette just won't do it for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join