It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese create 100+ hybrid strains using H1N1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Professor Chen and her colleagues deliberately mixed the H5N1 bird-flu virus, which is highly lethal but not easily transmitted between people, with a 2009 strain of H1N1 flu virus, which is very infectious to humans.

They warned there is a danger that the new viral strains created by mixing bird-flu virus with human influenza could escape from the laboratory to cause a global pandemic killing millions of people.

Should we be more worried about deliberate release or accidental release?

They claim they are doing this to help develop vaccines and such like.

Which is in dispute...

Lord May of Oxford, a former government chief scientist and past president of the Royal Society, denounced the study published today in the journal Science as doing nothing to further the understanding and prevention of flu pandemics.

The study, which was carried out in a laboratory with the second highest security level to prevent accidental escape, resulted in 127 different viral hybrids between H5N1 and H1N1, five of which were able to pass by airborne transmission between laboratory guinea pigs.

Apparently, by "trying to discover a vaccine" the Chinese actually created over 100 hybrid strains of this extremely lethal H1 crap...

“We don’t know the pathogenicity [lethality] in man and hopefully we will never know. But if the case fatality rate was between 0.1 and 20 per cent, and a pandemic affected 500 million people, you could estimate anything between 500,000 and 100 million deaths,” he said.

100 million deaths possible. Transmittable by air.

Mods, wrong forum? Please move. Already posted elsewhere? My apologies, I did try the search.

Source

edit on 5/2/13 by Ameilia because: forgot source

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
And why does that not surprise me?

Ever think that they are trying to get even with Hydrogen bomb or the Atom bomb?

The sleeper cells are probably the ones who do my nails.

Which, they do an awesome job by the way.

Can't say I'm not surprised.

They'd be killing their own if they unleashed it.

edit on 2-5-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm sure there are quite a few countries that have some nasties their scientists are experimenting with.I shudder to think what the American DoD have got going on in their biological backrooms.Only difference is they,unlike China,won't say a word.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
i'm sure that they are only doing this in self defence.
a strain that their enemies are not immune to.
see this

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Everyone's doing it - that's why China distributed live samples of H7N9 around the world. ...You can't make a vaccine without knowing what to expect in the virus genome. And no one knows what else to do besides come up with a vaccine. Viruses, bacteria and other microbes mutate and evolve incredibly quickly (especially compared to complex organisms like humans). Scientists experiment to figure out how the virus might evolve so they can try to get ahead of it.

Not sure if that's such a good idea, but that's how it works. The big story here is that the US CDC shared their samples with Novartis and the Venter Lab, who did not credit the original work from China and just moved straight to working the profit angle.

top topics

join