It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are some people so fixated with professional sports?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lingweenie

Why are some people so fixated with professional sports?

It's simple, really....

Professional sports is a sort of "Bread and Circuses" of ancient rome.... a instinctual contest of tribal warfare, paraded in front of the unwashed masses in order to distract them from politics, government, economics, the failing educational system, the declining manufacturing base, etcetera...

Further, it uses subtle visual cues to tie the concept of "Masculinity" of the viewer up into "Participating" by observing and becoming ever more engrossed in the vicarious struggle of tribal warfare, for the viewer.

In a nutshell, it is a Pageant, a Play of sorts, designed to captivate the Male ego, and make the Male ego as utterly dependant upon BEING captivated as possible, to increase the overall likelihood that the maximum number of the male target population is as utterly distracted as possible from situations in the world that actually have a bearing on their REAL lives, nation, government, economics, jobs, and Future.

If you ever get the time, check out the beginnings of Scholastic sports programs..... it's pretty damning stuff.

edit on 4-5-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Sheep will be sheep. It's the same as questioning why people watch television. It's all to distract people.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Empte
Sheep will be sheep. It's the same as questioning why people watch television. It's all to distract people.

Wow, are you serious? I have an open mind on all subjects involved with this site....actually I have had interest since childhood regarding the topics on this site, before its creation, the only sheep I see is you. I'm a wolf, i love sports while reading up on ufology an cryptozology. We are'nt all sheep.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123

Wow, are you serious? I have an open mind on all subjects involved with this site....actually I have had interest since childhood regarding the topics on this site, before its creation, the only sheep I see is you. I'm a wolf, i love sports while reading up on ufology an cryptozology. We are'nt all sheep.

A wolf? Are you living in a westernized/urbanized area typing in a shelter with centralized air conditioning, heating, and all other "advancements" like running water to your house? Do you have a refrigerator, a vehicle? Do you pay taxes?

Just because you read up on ufo's and cryptozoology does not mean "you" are not a sheep. If you are living in a city and have not made the choice to move out into the country, you are probably a sheep.

Edit: I don't doubt you to be informed, but what are you doing with that knowledge? Sheep do nothing...
edit on 5-5-2013 by Philippines because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
In general I find interest in others playing sport sport is inversely proportional to intelligence. I think it gives stupid people something to have a deep interest in.

To me it is very strange that someone that can run fast or is good a kicking a ball is revered whilst someone that makes a difference to mankind such as engineers and scientists are often unknown.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Pure and simple it's entertainment.

I love the sport of football. For ten years I played and then decided I was done. I could have played at a lower ranked DII school or almost any DIII or NAIA school in the nation, but I was done playing.

I had given up countless days of my life to the sport, and while I loved the game, having a social life and a job, and other hobbies appealed to me. That said the interest in the game never went away.

I had always enjoyed watching pro football, because they were the best players in the world. I had the team that I rooted for and I followed the story lines from week to week.

Once I stopped playing, so did the distraction that was football. Some people play video games, some people workout, some people write/draw/paint/create, in order to escape the realities of every day life. For some people these hobbies/passions are what makes life worth living.

For me football is a healthy distraction from the everyday stress I face. If I get a little bogged down, I start to feel a little stressed or drained I usually just hop over to my favorite blog that focuses on my team, I read an article, comment, argue, watch a youtube video and I distract myself just long enough to keep the pressure at bay. My problems don't go away, but sports (specifically pro football for me) helps me to keep things in perspective. Is my work/my relationships/my time/my finances/my health more important than the NFL? Absolutely. But by allowing myself this short distraction it goes a long way to reminding me, it's not all bad.

And really, that's what entertainment is for most people. It can become an obsession for some, and at times I notice I start to spend too much time entertaining myself this way, and it's a difficult balance to strike. But as long as I don't neglect a major aspect of my life I see nothing wrong with this little indulgence.

As far as not understanding why one would follow, spoiled, pampered, professional athletes who often lack personal accountability for their often terrible actions, their complete failure to understand they aren't worth inflated salaries, and the fact that they believe that they are gods because they play a childs game and they gain fame and praise by doing so? Most of these men show very little loyalty to anything other than their bottom line. They're famous for abusing the legal system, using women and any drug they can get away with using.

Why would I want to follow a league or team that employs such people? Two reasons:

#1. The NFL is such that it often gives second chances to people who have served their debt to society.
........This is something that I feel strongly about. There are some heinous crimes, violent crimes against fellow man resulting in death, or simply intending death and crimes of a sexual nature against anyone but children especially I feel should prohibit most anyone from having a second chance at the type of life they had before.
........In most cases of NFL players who go through legal trouble, they have been convicted of minor crimes that gone unchecked may have resulted in a far bigger crime or issue. But most times these young men are given second chances and given real help towards building a respectable, positive life. Basically the NFL has done for hundreds of young men what the US prison system never could have, it has rehabilitated them.
.......We could get into why they felt they could break these laws to begin with and a lot of it would go to the paragraph above, the one where they believe they are invincible and their egos let them believe they're above the law. Do they deserve the punishments they receive? Yes. Do most people convicted of crimes deserve a second chance? I believe so.
#2. Everything negative I've listed, is completely known and in the open. There is a disclosure of sorts when it comes to pro athletes. As far as college and other amateur athletics we're supposed to believe that everything is squeaky clean and everyone is playing by the rules. And for anyone who has ever heard of the NCAA handing out sanctions, we all know this simply isn't true. I do not hate college athletics but I am slightly disenchanted with a billion dollar business that doesn't fairly compensate the athletes at the level they probably deserve.
.......As someone with nearly 6 figures in student loan debt, I know what you're thinking: but they have their education paid for. And they do but they do so in exchange for an additional 40-60 hours per week of work/travel above and beyond their required studies. And the athletes do it, without a voice while NCAA schools make millions.

Pro sports are an escape, a form of entertainment, some people may not understand why I enjoy it, and that's fine. I'll forever wonder why people care that Kim Kardashian is fat or who she's sleeping with. But in the end it all comes back to these things being an escape that helps to provide perspective in an otherwise confusing world.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines

Originally posted by Arnie123

A wolf? Are you living in a westernized/urbanized area typing in a shelter with centralized air conditioning, heating, and all other "advancements" like running water to your house? Do you have a refrigerator, a vehicle? Do you pay taxes?

Just because you read up on ufo's and cryptozoology does not mean "you" are not a sheep. If you are living in a city and have not made the choice to move out into the country, you are probably a sheep.

Edit: I don't doubt you to be informed, but what are you doing with that knowledge? Sheep do nothing...

What am I doing with all that knowledge? About as much as you, talking with others, forming our own opinions an hopefully try an engage non believers into the discussion, thats what I'm doing.
Yes I am a wolf. What? because I have air condition with cable TV, internet, a car plus bills and a family, I'm not? The very fact that your USING THE INTERNET suggest you too are part of the system, living in the country bears no meaning, well...your better off when the nukes go off, but nonetheless, nothing.
Why am I wolf? Because I've been down range, I've spent 15 months in hostile territory, living in our own dug oht graves, no showers and no cell phones, learning the basics of life, the meaning of life an all that encompassess it.., ironic considering one would learn things like this in a warzone.
So yes, I am a wolf. A wolf who tries an spreads the word, trust me, alot of higher ups laugh it off when I bring up the subject of ufology, but surprisingly, there are a number of higher ups who are firm in their position regarding the unknown.
So I'm curious, you living in the country automatically makes you a, "non-sheep"? You might wanna reconsider tjat, I enjoy the advancements of our civilization and will use them to the fullest, it makes me no different than you or the person to your left an right, don't you EVER forget that, because in the end, we all as a species have to stick together.
Your post alone makes you the biggest sheep IMHO. remember, my OPINION. so please, chill an don't get bent out of shape, now if you can excuse me, I gotta answer this Bluetooth headset, while getting a drink of water from my touch sensor only faucet an resume my xbox360 game, "Too Human" on my wireless controller

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
Theories abound.

Pure entertainment with no emotional attachment or investment.

Powerful emotional investment resulting in a personal feeling of accomplishment despite no input or effort on the spectator's part.

An outlet for some sort of inborn human need for competition and quasi-"combat."

Social and cultural touchstones.

All of the above.

Personally I've never had any interest in sports. Not one iota. I can appreciate the effort and athleticism that goes into it, but for the same reason I don't enjoy watching American Idol and similar competitions, I don't enjoy sports.

Peace.

You get a star sir.

All things here are true. I enjoy sports but as you said, I'm not a fan of many other forms of competition or entertainment in general.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab
Answer to your question: you're all nerds.

Some of us that play and watch sports cant imagine how someone can have fun with computer code or building a house or doing yardwork or playing D&D. Different strokes for different folks.

Sports don't hurt anyone, they provide some necessary distraction from the hell that is modern society. For two hours I can turn my brain off, stop worrying about the problems in the world and enjoy the best athletes in the world performing at the highest level possible. Sports are fascinating if you delve into the theory of the game.

Also, sports bring people together. I can make friends with any Chicago Bulls fan on the PLANET, because we already have something in common that we're passionate about. It's that passion that brings people together so who cares if athletes are overpaid (which they're not, you and I are all UNDERpaid)

Besides, games are ingrained into our being. Every culture, every one of yall that hate on sports, have games that you play.

Sports are a part of our history and our culture. Remember Jessie Owens whoopin Nazi ass during the WWII Olympics in Germany? What about Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball? What about Micheal Jordan who, around the world, is just as recognizable as Jesus or Ronald McDonald.

But, yeah, when people start flipping cars over and rioting because their team lost, that's just sad. There are so many better reasons to riot.

For some reason I feel I should say thank you. A rare rational response in an otherwise depressing thread on a depressing site.
So, thank you.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Not really sure, but it feels good to watch human beings perform as well as they can within the rules of the game. While I find many sports boring to watch, those that I played in my youth and understand like American Football are the most satisfying to watch. In sports where players can hear and feel the crowd - the crowd becomes part of the game and does influence the result often enough. More visiting NFL teams in Seattle commit offensive false starts because of the confusions and noise created by the fans.

No doubt being an actual participant is completely different than being a spectator. Personally I believe that we are all networked together in some manner, so that even those watching a broadcast that is delayed by to process of getting the signal to your television may even have some influence, but that's off topic.

Everyone has their hobbies and what is boring to some others can't live without. Sure it might be better to spend our energies for better purposes, but attacking or criticizing peoples current addictions or entertainment pleasures is not the way to alter the world to towards your better vision, whatever that may be.

Beats watching our war mongers bombing poor people to steal their natural resources on the msm.
edit on 5/5/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
In general I find interest in others playing sport sport is inversely proportional to intelligence. I think it gives stupid people something to have a deep interest in.

To me it is very strange that someone that can run fast or is good a kicking a ball is revered whilst someone that makes a difference to mankind such as engineers and scientists are often unknown.

Right cause no one could ever respect a good athlete who excels at the sport they love, while also respecting a great thinker, that could NEVER happen EVER! it's a scientific impossibility, all humans are black or white, no degree of complexity to personalities at all, either a scientist or a dumb brute. Our minds are only capable of giving respect to one field right? And heavan forbid someone does something unproductive for any period of time, we all must be tireless workers, our lives should be no different from farm animals, work and sleep! anything else is stupid!

Some of you guys are really full of yourselves, your ego's are ridiculous.
edit on 5-5-2013 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It's interesting to me that almost every comment in this thread that is anti-watching sports tries to make it an issue of superior and inferior intelligence, and it just so happens that anyone who doesn't see it as you see it is dumb! And that's all there is to it. This makes it so ironic that you guys are calling people simpletons. Could it get any more simpleton than that? If you really think taking time to unwind means you can't do anything else with your time or brain, then you really shouldn't be discussing anyone's level of intelligence.

Nobody is in study mode 24/7, Some waste time playing pokemon, video games, movies, tv, dancing to music, flying kites, racing cars, etc....none of it is productive, but we all NEED it. We all have our escapes, and those escapes are important parts of maintaining a healthy mind. With out them we burn out. Who are you to say one persons interest or hobby is stupid or a waste of life? There is nothing intellectual about your ego.

I have a friend who is a historian, he devotes most of his free time to studying Balkan history and writing about it, I could ask him about pretty much any period and get a good answer, but let the world cup or euro cup start and you'll see a man who is very passionate about soccer/football. But according to you guys if you watch sports it's because you lack any real intellectual capabilities, you cheer for a team so you have an inferior brain that is less capable of any critical thinking....

You need to leave your egotistical fantasy land where all smart people are exactly like you if you think no scientists, or doctors, or teachers have sports teams.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

Right cause no one could ever respect a good athlete who excels at the sport they love, while also respecting a great thinker

So...... do you not know what "In General" means, then?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

You know what, whatever. We're here to enjoy life and have our own circumstances. Sorry if I have offended you, it's nothing personal... But imo most of the USA is a cage / prison, and mankind is not meant to be imprisoned. Everyone individually is different, but many Western cultures seem to seek indentured servants who are mindless.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

Right cause no one could ever respect a good athlete who excels at the sport they love, while also respecting a great thinker

So...... do you not know what "In General" means, then?

So how many of earths millions of sports fans have you attempted to have an intelligent conversation with? Back up your claim that in general sports fans are mindless dolts. Give me the data to prove it. What is it based on, other than your assumption of people that like to have fun by cheering for other people, who excel at a sport they love. As an intellectual you should have this study and data on hand.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

So how many of earths millions of sports fans have you attempted to have an intelligent conversation with?

And how many of them have you had a conversation with?

It works both ways, you know...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

So how many of earths millions of sports fans have you attempted to have an intelligent conversation with?

And how many of them have you had a conversation with?

It works both ways, you know...

Difference is I'm not making sweeping generalizations. I'm the guy saying everyone has their unproductive escapes, and sports fans come from all backgrounds and intelligence levels. I think these "pointless" escapes are an essential part of good mental health. I think it's more realistic to understand that even geniuses have their pointless escapes, than it is to say "anyone who does this unproductive thing is stupid".

It's crazy to me that so many are so quick to jump on the "simpleton sheeple" nonsense as if every waking hour of their life is dedicated to world changing research, it's bull# from people who are lying to themselves. I understand some people here suffer from paranoia and they never stop, but non stop thinking about something doesn't necessarily mean you are smarter than the guy who takes a few hours out of his week to do something he finds fun, in fact his brain is probably more optimized because he takes the time to unwind and doesn't burn out.

To categorize most sports fans as anything is just wrong. Some people grew up playing football but reality set in that weren't that great at it so they became teachers or what ever. Most of my teachers where football fans, They had their team mugs, my doctor has a dallas cowboys lanyard, these are smart people living good lives and they love sports. They aren't mindless savages looking for gladiatorial blood baths.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lingweenie

I really don't understand why people like to watch sports either; to me it is boring.

A guy hits a ball with a stick; another runs after and throws a football; another bounces and chases a basketball; and people get all excited and worked up over all of this.. I admit it....I just don't get it.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

what are you doing with your knowledge? You moved away to the country away from all the lost people instead of helping them. No wonder there is so many "sheep" if all the people with the knowledge to lead them run away from the world.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahatche

what are you doing with your knowledge? You moved away to the country away from all the lost people instead of helping them. No wonder there is so many "sheep" if all the people with the knowledge to lead them run away from the world.

You make a good point, but I find the situation futile. What do you think? How would you try to convert "lost" people stuck in their lifestyles of sports, work, taxes, retirement, healthcare, debt slaves, etc. into a lifestyle of personal responsibility, no debts, no taxes, providing their own food etc. -- do you think the average american will give that up? (Among a lot of other addictions to personal life luxury)

What is your thought on how to accomplish that?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join