Pain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Why or how would evolution create pain? Seems like such a negative sensation; one that evolution would have disposed of. Thoughts?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I would assume it started the second time one amoeba bit another one...

The first time he didn't mind...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Why or how would evolution create pain? Seems like such a negative sensation; one that evolution would have disposed of. Thoughts?

On the contrary.
Take two individuals - one feels pain, the other doesnt.
Which one is more likely to stay out of harms way, and survive uninjured (and live long enough to reproduce)?

The way you phrased the question has me thinking that you dont understand evolution. It doesnt work towards a "positive" anything.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I have extreme experiences with pain.
Now that i'm not in it anymore, I am able to recognize the difference more so then someone who has never dealt with it.

Why would evolution dispose of a mechanism that can potentially save your life or enhance it at a different time?

In the moment, it's horrible and seems like it will never end. I agree with you there, it's terrible.
But to know good, you gotta know the bad.

How would evolution create pain? I can only begin to imagine. I think it would have to do with trial and error over a long period of time in relation to the time where human brains were developing etc

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I would think that pain keeps a species from doing harmful things to themselves. If Neanderthal man didn't experience pain when he continually slammed his head against a rock, homo sapiens could not have evolved. All the Neanderthals would have died off from severe concussions. Instead, they stayed alive and only suffered migraines.

edit on 5/2/2013 by Shadoefax because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

to allow the environment suit of CHOICE to allow its driver ... the opportunity the chance to acknowledge danger and dangerous activities. This preserves said environment suit in what ever its used for say like planet MINING or deep space SEARCHING / RECON in whatever environment the Internal Energy/Soul/Spirit manifest WITHIN.. So like a pressure valve the pains are designed to support danger response, although some CREATOR Creations tend to misuse its intended design... PHYSICAL & MENTAL

NAMASTE*******

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I've always liked your posts and threads.

As far as pain goes, the why could easily support evolution paradigm. However, the how is a great question. I can't wait to see some answers. I'm sorry, but I have no idea.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It is said that fish don't feel pain. now.msn.com...

Then there are people that do not have pain receptors.

Personally, I wish we humans were a bit dialed down on pain reception. But then again, pain is subjective. Probably keeps us from harming ourselves to the point of death. Imagine being in a car accident and you feel no pain. You have a broken neck or other bone. You get up and try to walk....then you kill yourself by not feeling anything or your neck breaks in half and now you can no longer walk for life.

Darwin would suggest we came from fish.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Pain is created so we may witness our feelings relative to it. Pain is a polar opposite, just as happiness is a polar opposite. The extremes are defined for us so we may discover and define the inbetweens.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Pain is an ingenious mechanism in evolutionary terms . . . the fact that it puzzles you is somewhat puzzling to me. Even more puzzling is the fact that some are trying to respond in a philosophical manner. Pain is nothing more than the body's alarm system.

Let's take something as simple as a toothache . . . it's a sign that there is something wrong in that area. Might be a cavity or a broken tooth. But, the nerves sending the pain signal to the brain let you know that area needs attention. If attention isn't given it could lead to an infection, which would be worse for your health.

Now let's say primitive man is out hunting one of the beasts of the Pliocene . . . he cracks a rib. Without pain, he wouldn't know he damaged a rib and therefore won't favor that side or take it easy, while it heals. If he went out the next day and took a hit to the same side, it could become a full on break and puncture a lung. Again, worse for your health and survival.

Even when framed in an emotional sense . . . it is a symptom of something being wrong.

Pain is the ultimate internal survival mechanism . . .

I would think this was common knowledge and, somewhat, self evident . . . puzzling to say the least.
edit on 5/2/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Pain Mechanism is in the Reptilian Brain. It is what tells us that the stove is Hot pull you hand away. We have pain to keep us from hurting ourselves. I guess I would call that a physical Pain. Unfortunately, there are those that would use that against a person

On the other hand how about the type of pain we experience when we have Broken Heart. Does it originate in the brain stem as well or does it come from the creative centers of the brain?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

Very astute post.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
As for those who would not are are evaluated to NOT experience a physical pain associated to their suits, perhaps these observations if so are related to non exposure to dangerous feelings or activities in their spectrums that their suits are designed specifically.

So as humans for example are exposed to the environment suits pains related to their current environment or nest some who may not be native may not experience similar pain spectrums as humans do in the human environment both physical & mental/consciously and so when considering this some who may not be evaluated to experience pain may but its just not understood how and why... from this spectrum

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Pain is a natural defense mechanism that tells you something is wrong. Evolution would be stupid to get rid of it. Then again... evolution IS stupid so...

* I just read what Solomans Path wrote... yeah, what he said *

edit on 2-5-2013 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
without pain
pleasure would not mean anything

sanf JJ

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

pain is felt when you need to recoil. It is a strong feeling, and can create a very strong reaction.

It is unfortunate that chronic pain exists. Things like toothaches are just a bane to human existence. But without pain, how would we instinctively address the cause?

Besides, evolution doesn't create anything. Happenstance creates evolution. And the animals that happen to identify pain, to their own success, are the ones who's genes were pushed forward.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Is this a serious question?

I'm not going to repeat the obvious reasons which have already been stated. Try using common sense, pain is a warning that the body has sustained damage.

If we didn't feel pain people would be walking or lurching around like a bunch of zombies.

ab·surd
/əbˈsərd/

(Adjective)
1. (of an idea or suggestion) Wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate: "so you think I'm a spy? How absurd!".
2. (of a person or a person's behavior or actions) Foolish; unreasonable.
3. This thread.

Synonyms:
preposterous - ridiculous - nonsensical - ludicrous

edit on 2-5-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

On a different note
I still remember the pain of losing my first love, she still carries a piece of my heart.

What was the point of that pain ?

I guess it taught me to be careful with others feelings

Just a random thought Jigger

I'm gonna sit in the corner and sulk for a bit now

Cody

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This isn't too off-topic, it's pretty much kinda along the same lines: I often wonder about masochism and people who enjoy varying degrees of physical pain...what led to this? Is this something that has existed within the human psyche for all of human history or have we psychologically "evolved" (for lack of a better word) over time to where some of our species like pain?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Why would evolution dispose of a mechanism that can potentially save your life or enhance it at a different time?

No, no, not dispose of...create! In order for something to be disposed of it must be created first. In what species was there so much (I dunno) dumb stuff going on: bugs falling off cliffs, rodents eating each other's tails? If evolution had intelligence it would say, "Okay, we need to create pain so these idiots will stop gnawing on their paws."

Without intelligence in evolution, what is the repeated process by which pain evolved?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join