Google Glass

page: 1

join

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Today is my first full day as a cyborg.

I’ve spent the past 18 or so hours wearing Google Glass -- the Internet giant’s vision of an always-on, digitally connected future, disguised as a pair of glassless eyeglasses.

Looking past the double-takes and outright stares from everyone looking at me, it’s easy to see the potential of this crazy gizmo. But for now, well, it’s weird being one of the borg.

Glass is a lopsided yet oddly comfortable hunk of plastic, silicon and titanium. The brains of my device were housed in two hunks of gray plastic, all on the right side (and no, there’s currently no option to swap sides). Google has versions in a variety of colors, including a gorgeous bright orange. If you’re going to call attention to yourself, may as well do it in style.

At the back is a battery and a tiny speaker that rests against your head, and uses the bones in your skull to amplify its output. The front contains the camera, processor and a tiny display screen -- your interface to the world of Google.Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Hands on: 18 hours with Google Glass

Google Glass-Home

This is a very cool new piece of technology that is already available for purchase.

Any thoughts?

PS: Though they are still having problem with keeping it secure.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Kashai because: Added and modifed content

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Problems keeping it secure in what sense? Like secured to the head of the person wearing it, or secure in the sense of it being able to be hacked?

In any event, I'm hoping against all reasonable hope that this thing will be a big flop. All we need is to lose the only real privacy we have left: That of not having our personal space spied upon in our own homes and living spaces....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I love the technology, I hate the implications. Not much more to say because it will mean different things to different people. Weigh both in each hand, decide it's worth and it's potential for abuse.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai

This is a very cool new piece of technology that is already available for purchase.

Any thoughts?

I'm gonna LMAO when the first group of gang-bangers surround the gizmotard wearing one of these and tag him/her with a can of spraypaint.

I'd imagine that there are many gangs and groups that would not take to kindly to being googled.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Security Issues are the least problem.

I read an article last week that said it is Not Re-Saleable.

Once you buy it, it is yours. They will Not reactivate it for someone else. Which basically means that you will be the One and Only owner of the Device,

It is a neat concept though.

Once they finally pull their heads out of their Astronauts and Couple it with Virtual Reality they will have a Real winner.

If you have any Extra money right now you might want to Invest in this. I suspect it will pay off HUGE in the end.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Good read.

Comments? When I look at my Android phone, what strikes me is the amazing amount of environment inputs it has.
1) Cameras on back, camera(s) on front to observe my face.
2) Microphone(s) which can pick out my voice in a noisy environment for speakerphone calls.
3) Accelerometers, which can recognize my unique gait, tell if the phone is moving.
4) GPS receiver, through which the phone can know where it is anywhere on or above the earth.
5) Wifi receiver, through which the phone can know the wifi networks around it, and communicate through them.
6) Cellular receiver, through which is can get similar information about cell towers.
7) capacitive touch screen, through which is can know when its screen is being touched by a human finger, but not a piece of plastic or something else.
8) Probably many, many more things I don't know about: thermometers, other phone proximity sensors, etc.

And now, through Google glass. Not saying glass is doing it now, but its well positioned a device you were on your head to collect various biometric data: temperature, possibly pulse, breathing, asleep or awake person (through brain waves) , etc. All of it extend to the vast collection of sensors.

Google actually has a comparatively great record with privacy and rights. But the idea in tech, from decades back has been to move out of disconnected cyber-space, into real space. Wouldn't it be nice if you could go on Google and search for your keys when you've lost them? The tech is coming where you can, but only if you allow all the sensors which can image your life and track your possessions in the first place, and that means having the machines watch your life. Is it worth to you?

For me, I am but there are conditions: The Boston bombers were caught because of surveillance information not from a monolithic surveillance company or the government, but privately held camera data, I think from a department store. The question is, are companies like Google willing to strengthen that paradigm of people having control over their own data - sharing it when it can help, keeping it when its nobody's business? If so, bring on the brave new world. If not, than there are two possibilities: all these new capabilities will remain untapped, or we really will have the dystopian situation where everybody's views of the world are recorded in some central database. I say let people have and use all that great information, but let them also control it.

Peace

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think it's a great concept. I got on the mailing list for future sales--as they ran out/discontinued the current run of them.

Thanks for the thread OP

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

You are absolutely right. I think it will probably be Seriously Abused like a Drunk Prom Date though.

I am Very Surprised that the Government is even Allowing this. They usually take And Or destroy things with those sorts of implications.

I am willing to bet that others have already accessed this technology to design thier own tech.

Unfortunately, being in an older generation, I have a very hard time accepting technology. Especially something like this.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I can honestly see this being the next big step in communication technology, it might seem rather tacky and bulky now but the concept and framework to revolutionise society is now here..

..imagine in 5 - 7 years time we can wear lightweight glasses that look like normal ones with advanced heads up displays and voice recognition allowing you to conversate directly with a person speaking to you in any language ...as the device translates the spoken words in real time and appear very clearly in your field of view like karoake lol...

we would never need to learn another language lol ....this is just one practical feature i can see happening further improving many aspects of life just like mobile phones have.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I also wanted to mention that a few years ago, Sylvia Brown (Psychic), made a prediction that society will go through a period of time where everyone wears a device on their heads and is consumed by it.

If I were Goggle I would be spending money on how to manufacture this item into the size of a Contact Lens. I think it might come to that before it is said and done.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is probably a pretty accurate view of what it will become hence the hype to push it for the masses.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I love tech, progress, improvements in communication and all that is implied.

I see this device as a stalker's paradise, a heyday for those who would swamp us with marketing, a criminal's dream, a fresh opportunity to expose, monitor,and control, and as the inspiration for a lot of great stories and maybe even a screenplay.

No way will I buy one or wear one.

market-ticker.org...

Karl hits it on the head as to the security concerns.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

I had a computer like that about ten years ago it had been set that way. so that that no matter what one would get all kinds of unwanted advertising. Called help desk and made a change to a section in control panel and
it stopped.

This is more along the lines of the private version of the military one that is being tested at the moment by the military and those are secure.

So clearly the next step will be to develop a phone that provides for the same security to the military version. Those work of a laptop so the issue is more about developing a phone with the same features as this devise.

This technology has been talked about in fiction for quite some time and is basically a head us display. Ii functions no differently than your average computer screen, with camera included.

I would say that in the next 5 to 7 years it will for many become and indispensable tool..

Also it will have an off switch.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Kashai because: Modiied content

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tridentblue

And now, through Google glass. Not saying glass is doing it now, but its well positioned a device you were on your head to collect various biometric data: temperature, possibly pulse, breathing, asleep or awake person (through brain waves) , etc. All of it extend to the vast collection of sensors.

Google actually has a comparatively great record with privacy and rights.

I would guess that people wearing this device will be the next wave of Google Streetview cameras. Instead of driving thru a neighborhood, they will now be mapping from a pedestrian viewpoint -- mapping the internal structures, occupants and objects of homes and businesses.

I take issue with your stand on Google's record for privacy.

Why is it that almost every website I visit is being tracked by up to three Google trackers (blocked by browser add-ons)? And then there's Android. The Android platform has developed around a spyware, bloatware model and is perhaps one of the most privacy-unfriendly communications device in history. Carrying an Android phone is the equivalent of being chipped.

Corporations, like governments, engage in dark behavior proportional to their size, money and influence. I'd guess that we have significant reason to worry about Google. Today and in the future.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Just what, or how for that matter, is this devise going to aid persons in their day to day lives? I'm stumped as to how something like this is anything other than another tracking devise like a smartphone.

A friend of mine who is a retired detective told me that technology is already available to track persons with outstanding warrants through their smartphone. He said that it's quite simple to say "fugitive was apprehended after a tip to crimestoppers"

Just how is wearing these glasses going to improve your credit score, stay fit, find a better job, improve your children's future or anything else?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Its hard to really get into the whole tracking devise thing as in relation to a difference it is simply a screen and camera that works with a computer.

I mean if you have the current version of a computer you have the same thing. In so far as a cell phone locating a radio transmission has been part and parcel of well known technology since about World War Two. I mean honestly if you have a cell phone and it is on, you can be tracked. And if your computer has Wi-Fi and you are using it, that can be tracked as well. You speak as if turning a 17inch screen into something the size that can fit into a pair of glasses changes anything about personal security.

Now, there are al kinds of applications in respect to access to information. A good example is in respect to communications, education, science, medicine, engineering, law enforcement to name a few.

It simply means that instead of having your computer at home or to carting around a lap top all you need is this devise and a cell phone. Potentially and as one example we are talking about the whole world being able to talk to each other.

Any thoughts?
edit on 3-5-2013 by Kashai because: Modifed content

top topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum