It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interested in Survival Gardening? Contribute to an ATS Research Project

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This would be one plant that I would begin to cultivate in any survival gardening plot:

Dandelion

Not only does it have medicinal properties but it is an excellent food source and brewing ingredient to boot. The great thing about it beyond these facts is that it is readily available in many climates and grows like crazy which is also its negative factor; pick the seed plumes off and this would be no problem though (and would give future seed).

Sorry if anyone else suggested this prior as I did not read every post yet.
edit on 24-5-2013 by nonnez because: Photo

edit on 24-5-2013 by nonnez because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

What's scholar status? Do you have to have any kind of degree to have it?

I might keep an eye on this project.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Here you go:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sorry if someone mentioned this, i was to excited to read all the posts, this is a great project even in terms of sustainable living.

On to the topic, if anyone here has time search up Permaculture.

Most weeds are actually edible, well there isn't such a thing as a weed, it's just native edible or medicinal plant that have been replaced with corn, and other cash crops.

Biodiversity is key here, for example if you are growing corn, you would plant peas with them, and squash all in the same area, the idea is that each plant supports one another and the soil. (Peas are nitrogen fixing plants, they fertilize the soil without using chemicals). Squash protects the soil from UV, and the corn helps pull moisture up to the rest of the root systems. This would eliminate a lot of irrigation and maintenance.

Now it is also good to grow Perennial plants, ones that you can harvest and not replant the next season, (food forests would contain such plants).

In terms of irrigation and keeping the soil fertile, building swells and terraces is the perfect way to preserve the fertility and nutrients that would otherwise be washed away with rain.

Well there is just a bucket load of stuff Permaculture involves, but it certainly is the best sustainable living, especially when it comes to survival.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by XaniMatriX

I am becoming intimately familiar with the weeds in my garden - and you are right about what constitutes "a weed" being interpretive.

For example: I have been digging out nutsedge, which is a very invasive "weed" but also happens to be completely edible. And a cultivated plant in some parts of the world! I discovered it only hurts root plants so I'm focusing on controlling it and maybe digging up what's left at the end of the growing season for its edible nuts. Last year the garden was infested with nutsedge but we didn't notice any decline in yields.

Another weed that overruns my garden is purslane. Apparently this is a gourmet salad green that can also be boiled like spinach and is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Who knew? Purslane is also a help to corn because it draws the nutrients up from the soil and helps to aerate. Another who knew. I may just let it grow at will...

Then there is crab grass. This weed has no redeeming qualities that I can think of. Can you? Decimate with abandon.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join