It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
yeah, pretty simple and straightforward stuff.... I don't think the one about the greenhouse effect was... entirely accurate.... As water accounts for more thermal insulation than carbon dioxide... but I knew what answer would be graded as "Correct"

13/13

Elementary.

There was likely some dispute over really including a vapor in H20 (a gas phase at a temperature where the same substance can also exist in the liquid or solid state, below the critical temperature of the substance) as opposed to a gas in CO2.

I was tempted to answer that one "wrong" just because I saw the quiz largely as a list of 'buzz words' which does not actually test scientific knowledge or capability, but rather is aimed at identifying who has been paying attention to MSM "science/tech features."
edit on 4-5-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Only 7% of the American population get's all those right? What the #?

That can not be true, it simply can't. I knew most if not all of that by the 7th grade, in public school.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

Of course I know more about Science and Technology than the average American.

I'm a Canadian.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Deominous

You made my day ha ha, I guess it doesn't help I'm not American Either. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the test, I may have skewed their new estimates for the general public, after all the online "quizzes" are collected.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Anybody find the results scary ! With ignorance of such simple science driving peoples voting intentions.........jesus were screwed!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
13/13.

Pretty basic stuff. But I went to school back when teachers actually focused on reading, writing, science and mathematics, and didn't subscribe to this "Outcome-based Education" nonsense.

If I had children, I would want them to be taught hard math and science, not reading "Heather has 2 Mommies" or putting condoms on bananas.

That manner of nonsense is why US students rank internationally where they do today.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Surfrat

Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

By definition half of all Americans do.

Actually you're wrong on this count. That would be true if the statement was more than the median american. If 1 scores 13, and two score 2, the average is 5.6666, and only 1/3 of the takers are higher than the average.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Really silly quiz - I do wonder what the purpose behind it is? What they are actually trying to measure.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
13/13
LMAO i am of the 7%

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Rather stupid easy test....they could have made it harder with answers that were a little closer together.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
13/13, man this site is skewing the results. Those were some really trivial questions. I feel sorry if most Americans are this ignorant.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

last 2 questions are propaganda.

2nd line

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

I've always loved science, though didn't pursue it as a degree or occupation (wish I had.) got all 13, but I could see it being seasonable for eople who don't care much about science to score an 8 or 9. While "easy", a lot of that stuff may be things the average person knows, but doesn't bother keeping in easily accessible memory, as they have no real use for it. I see it more that way than as any sort of condemnation of Americans' average level of scientific knowledge.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
heh,
Now they know your age, education, sex and willingness to deny your knowledge to gain a fleeting ego-profit.

Most scientists believe CO2 causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise.
True or false?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
reply to post by Deominous

You made my day ha ha, I guess it doesn't help I'm not American Either. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the test, I may have skewed their new estimates for the general public, after all the online "quizzes" are collected.

Where did you see that the online quizzes were being collected?

The number of correct responses that you had are merely compared to the results of an American nationwide telephone poll. The numbers shown on the Pew Research pages are the result of analysis of the

telephone interviews conducted March 7-10, 2013 among a national sample of 1,006 adults 18 years of age or older living in the continental United States

from page 2 of Pew Research article

The results are not being modified by the responses of ATS members or of anyone else.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Only 7% of the American population get's all those right? What the #?

That can not be true, it simply can't. I knew most if not all of that by the 7th grade, in public school.

Oh, yeah... Believe it, man... It's completely true.

But what I find even MORE revealing... is that most people on ATS have scored most or all of them correctly.

But what is more, quite a few members of ATS, realized that some of the questions were "Politically Correct" but were genera savvy enough to realize which "Answer" would be graded as correct.

And THAT, I think... is extremely telling. Don't you?
edit on 4-5-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

I can not yet create my own thread and this is the most relevant thread I could find with what I wanted to post.
The National Science Foundation is under attack by Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas. The legislation would let congress decide what science is considered suitable to study.

" 1) "… in the interests of the United States to advance the national health, prosperity, or welfare, and to secure the national defense by promoting the progress of science;

2) "… the finest quality, is groundbreaking, and answers questions or solves problems that are of utmost importance to society at large; and

3) "… not duplicative of other research projects being funded by the Foundation or other Federal science agencies."

NSF's current guidelines ask reviewers to consider the "intellectual merit" of a proposed research project as well as its "broader impacts" on the scientific community and society."

You make your own decision.

Link to article
edit on 5-5-2013 by SlyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlyGuy
reply to post by Surfrat

3) "… not duplicative of other research projects being funded by the Foundation or other Federal science agencies."

I'm pretty sure that this last one is part of the current guidelines for the NSF.

It is disturbing how ignorant of science, among other subjects, many of your politicians are. Though this really just reflects the general ignorance of the American population.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF
Got 13 of 13 correct. To ne honest ot was a very simple quize.

Looks like you know a lot more about science than grammar/spelling.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join