It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Jeff Hanneman from Slayer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)

www.billboard.com...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Why do they keep taking the good ones, another loss for metal. Lets really hope though that they don't replace him .

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I agree. He helped form Slayer and to replace him would be a kick to the band, the legacy and to the fans.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
R.I.P Jeff, at least you get to chill with Dio now man

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
RIP Jeff Hanneman of the legendary Slayer
5/2/2013

Seasons In the Abyss

Raining Blood and South of Heaven

and Slayer...at their brutal best.. live..ripping through Angel of Death

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I almost teared at the intro to Seasons of the Abyss, so powerful..

RIP.

Metal lives forever

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I almost teared at the intro to Seasons of the Abyss, so powerful..

RIP.

Metal lives forever

Yup..I remember rushing home on Sat nights for Headbangers Ball just to see that video.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is sad. Slayer is a great band with even greater songs.

RAINING BLOOD IS THE BEST SONG EVER!

There I said it!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
R.I.P Jeff, Thanks for all the riffs and solos that nearly made my ears bleed.

You were one of those people who inspired me to pick up a guitar, when I thrash out Altar of Sacrifice tonight I will be thinking of you.

\m/

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Thanks Slayer and Jeff for one of the best mosh pits I have ever been in \m/

Atleast Jeff and Dime can Reign in blood for all eternity!!!

R.I.P. Jeff you will be sorely missed

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I saw SLAYER 'LIVE' 4 or 5X back in the '80's. Jeff Hanneman, I felt, was always the better guitar soloist in the band.Kerry King rrecently said in an interview that he hadn't heard from Jeff in over a year and was still rehabbing his arm after a spider bite caused him to contract a flesh-eating disease. K. King also said he'd be fine with Gary Holt (Exodus) being their permanent guitarist as he's always filled in for Jeff during his time off.

Some of the 1st riffs I learned on guitar were Jeff Hanneman's riffs. Black Magic, Die By the Sword, Aggressive Perfector.

R.I.P. Jeff!

Die By The Sword (1985 - Ultimate Revenge video)

Chemical Warfare (1985 - Ultimate Revenge video)

edit on 3-5-2013 by Phantasm because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by Phantasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I highly doubt they'll replace him. I'd be shocked if they did.

But then again Metallica did replace Cliff Burton after his death,so it is possible.

I wouldn't consider myself a huge Slayer fan but I did enjoy their first few albums, up until Divine Intervention.

I will say him and Kerry King were big influences in my guitar playing many moons ago.You know,when I was younger and was into the whole Metal thing.

May he rest in peace.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantasm

wish id got to see all the big bands in the 80's
i was born in '88 and didnt get into metal till about 2004.
Die by the sword is my favorite Slayer song, really under rated imo

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Rest In Peace Jeff. Slayer were supposed to play Bloodstock Open Air this year. I guess thats off the books now. Tell you what though, Jeff was tough. He had a flesh eating disease from a spider bite that he got in 2011, and managed to die of something other than spider bite.

Im gutted. Totally gutted. When I found out yesterday night, I didnt speak for an hour. Gonna miss that dude. Oh, and as for "replacement"... with what? A nuclear reactor driven riff machine? There is no substitue.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Absolutely awful news. Such a shame for the fans and the band. At least Jeff can stop suffering and take his spot in the Great Gig In The Sky.

Thanks to the OP for being the OP and to the video posters for helping to give Hanneman a noisy sendoff.

...and to further that end:

Jihad

Dead Skin Mask

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Slayer is the one band that I was hoping would still be touring with dignity into their Rolling Stones years. They have always had a level of real integrity that is lacking in so much popular art. This is truly bummer.

If you want a good laugh, and one that Jeff himself may have found some humor in (he always seemed like a funny guy in interviews), read the comments below the OP's linked billboard article. Someone posted that they wish he had been religiously saved before death, and this offended some others because Jeff had described himself as an atheist. I imagine Jeff in some other plane of existence laughing about it with Jimi and Cliff in the cosmic rehearsal space for their new band.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

R.I.P. brother. You will be missed but never forgotten. Hate seeing this kind of news first thing. today all my radio's are getting tuned into slayer channels for tribute i know its not much but its something.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yeah man, sad news indeed - I sure as hell didn't see this one coming.

Slayer was my very first concert in '86 or '87 at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles. Jeff Hanneman was the guy who gave us all those riffs - he was the Riff Master and the idea starter.

No offense to Exodus guitarist Gary Holt - I mean, he's awesome in Exodus and he's doing an ok job in Slayer, but all the bad a$$ ideas that came from Jeff can NOT be replaced and are long gone!

I mean, look at the type of writing Jeff did on World Painted Blood... that song was released in 2009 but could just have easily been written for South of Heaven... that's Classic Slayer riffage right there - all thanks to Jeff's sick writing!

Man, what a bummer.

Now, without Dave and Jeff in the mix, if they continue forward, they're just gonna be a bad cover band version of themselves.

Godspeed Jeff Hanneman!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I seen this on the news last night and knew it would be up on ATS. I was too depressed last night to post. Aside from being depressed, as when Dime died, I was furious. Knowing I'll be now forever deprived of future Hanneman riffage makes me boil.

For a bit of Hanneman's personality - 5 Things Jeff Hates

And, though I mostly a fan of live performance vids, I think this official music video deserves some credit. Bloodline. You get to see Jeff and the band in their regular attire, suits, AND covered in blood - what could be better?

R.I.P. Jeff.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Very sad news indeed
I owe him the reason why I became a Thrash Metal fun.

R.I.P. Jeff !!! You always will be revered for your musician ship.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join