It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighter Jet fires on USA School...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
No kidding.

A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission Wednesday fired 25 rounds of ammunition that tore through an intermediate school. No one was injured.

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School shortly after 11 p.m.

Police were called to the area when a custodian heard what sounded like someone running across the roof of the school. The custodian was the only person in the school at the time.

www.nbc10.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And whats funny about it is..

www.mlive.com.../base/news-5/109569331454310.xml

and

www.emsc.nysed.gov...

etc...etc...etc.. (not to mention Beslan)

Have any of you noticed just how many 'school' + 'terror' related 'warnings' and 'suggestions' have been getting made lately?

I do not think OBL would attack a school of childeren.. if it happens it was designed by TPTB to enrage us intentionally.. and form long lines at the recruitment offices so there won't be a need for a draft.

-VMX

Almost like its all a run up for the real thing sorta thing?

[edit on 4-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
it was late at night, the pilot saw an empty area was bored and fired, they werent live rounds afterall.

my guess

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They werent live to point of exploding but they sure left an impact. the article said it left holes in the roof and fallen ceiling tiles. seems enough that if it did strike someone they would have been killed. Lets be grateful this happened at night.

I do not like to speculate but you never know.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

it was late at night, the pilot saw an empty area was bored and fired, they werent live rounds afterall.

Don't know if you read the posts, but I would call a 2inch long lead round as live... certainly rip your head of thats for sure!!

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
National Guard, fighter pilot, trigger happy..does it ring a bell?? haha

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Probably a malfunction or some kind of accident. Poor Bugger pilot. Even if he gets the blame and it ends his AirNG career, at least NO ONE was killed.
And thank god they were not explosive 20mm rounds....they would have ripped that school apart.

Never heard of sort of thing before. But....

In the 1970s a Royal Australian Air Force Mirage III was on a live fire excericse of the East coast of Australia, the target a ship sized outcrop of rock the military had been using as a target for decades. The supersonic Mirage had only recently entered service.

As he made his low level firing run, a 20mm cannon round richocetted off a rock on the target and came back at him on such an angle that it ripped into the intake and took out the Adour jet engine of his fighter. the pilot was forced to eject due to the damage.

Needless to say the RAAF re-wrote the live fire manual for the Mirage.

This is for a lighter moment of a serious area. We need lighter moments folks so please indulge and forgive.

Pilots are in trouble in Aussie at the moment. At a recent major tourism sporting event, the Gold Coast Indy Car series, the Australian Army was tasked to do a PR opportunity, at least one UH-1 Iroquois flying around the circuit to entertain the crowds before the race.

Gold Coast is a resort strip on the Queensland/New South Wales Border. I suppose think Spanish Beach resort, Cancun...places like that. Early summer, Indy cars, beaches, babes, beer (on the ground) and young men with testosterone and other hormones. Throw in a typical Aussie "WTF This is fun" attitude. Kids in a candy store

As the helecopter flew around the course, waving for the folks and the THOUSANDS of cameras, the boys noticed a lot of the girls on the balconies of the hotels and down on the course and the beaches waving...........

......and the crew chief produced a sign, like a grinning funlover idiot he was, stating "show us yer T**S" and got plenty of favourable responses.
unfortunately a handful negative ones to boot. And it made the National News as they flew past a networks sports TV camera.

Needless to say thier superiors were not impressed (been there, done that, but not on duty and not on NATIONAL TV) and the crew were grounded, faced a discipline hearing and all had black marks put on thier records for it.

Please see the lighter side of this, demonstrates our guys ARE human, and otherwise professionals.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It was at night & he was at 7000ft & the target was a half mile off. He just had a bad day & it's lucky nobody else did.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I take it US pilots have alot of bad days then? They always seem to have them when their allies are around too....................

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I take it US pilots have alot of bad days then? They always seem to have them when their allies are around too....................

It's a very stressful job and given the total amount of conflicts and flight hours involved with USMC, USAF, and USN pilots/aircraft these things happen....

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
LOL its so funny if it wasn't so bloody sick....

Remember the British convoy of Scorpions in Iraq that were destroyedby American A10 Thunderbolts?

Not so brilliant then were they?!

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
FGS.....thats war. forget this garbage about it being the 21st century and a hi tech age and everything.

Bar the fact it sucks if youre on the receiving end, its a bloody miracle it doesnt happen more often in a full on war, or under stressful circumstances.

Car accidents happen and we all think they shouldnt but they do. Like cowboy drivers, cowboy aircrews should and do face punishment when they do, and perhaps even those who have made innocent mistakes in this PC world cop far more trouble for it in this world than they deserve, given that when faced with such a situation they beat themselves up far longer and far harder than the likes of you.

When I was a kid I remember my father getting upset (not something your used to seeing in a man of his generation) because an old freind of his had topped himself over an accidental freindly fire incident that occurred in WW2 and that had eaten the guy up for thirty years.

Sorry we dont string em all up for you.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey now lets not get me wrong, I am not saying that the military are imcompetant due to instances of friendly fire (and I do despise the media calling it "so-called friendly fire" I mean, what would you call it?!). Such things happen in war all the time, and they cannot be avioded due to the fallibility of the human condidtion, Im just saying that this case is just a case of another guy pressing the wrong button at the wrong moment, not a slave of the Overmind blasting kids to get people to join up.

thats all

[edit on 4/11/04 by Strife3025]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   

LOL its so funny if it wasn't so bloody sick....

Remember the British convoy of Scorpions in Iraq that were destroyedby American A10 Thunderbolts?

Not so brilliant then were they?!

They where Warriors, not Scorpions. If they where it wouldn't have been so bad, as Scorpions are 2 man recce tanks. Warriors hold a whole squad of soldiers... we lost 9 men that day, and the damn Pilot came in for a second run too...........

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Apologies, its not like me to get a thing like that wrong.....

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
They were Warrior MICV personnel carriers of the Royal Scots in the Gulf 1991 (if we talk of the same incident)... a Scorpion is a UK light tank thought some one like you could tell the difference? How easy do you think it is to id a target not much bigger than a small truck on a smoke filled battlefield through a sight while your speeding through in a fast jet with some people shooting at you....maybe flying your third sortie of the day, a. BTW in a book or on TV at a parade and an excercise Yeah....Its friggin easy to tell the difference between most AFVs even when they do the same job. But in those circumstances with smoke and fire and sand.....Its bloody hard even from the ground... these guys have to make snap calls because they know if they dont the people they are supporting might die.

Or flying a 15 hour long range CAS mission on "nodoze" (out of how many) because the only other option to that is no CAS when its needed.

If you can take all the tens of thousands of sorties these guys have flown in the last 10-15 years and show me a list that said they bombed thier own guys on more than 1 in 1000 occassions and I'll give your remarks some creedence.

Would you like the job? (baring any other objections)

BTW amongst the other handful of western vehicles in the Iraqi line up in 1991 and 2003 were Scorpion Light tanks from the same factory that produced the UK Forces armour.

Have a nice day.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Strife.....Dont get a complex mate....I was typing while you were

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Sorry I wasn't implying I could tell the difference between a Warrior, Scimitar or a Scorpion.

[edit on 4/11/04 by Strife3025]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Mega
Have any of you noticed just how many 'school' + terror' related 'warnings' and 'suggestions' have been getting made lately?

None more than usual.

[]quote]Almost like its all a run up for the real thing sorta thing?

No. It's a dumb ANG pilot who screwed up. I mean, someone is gonna freaking notice that an A;10 strafing a school probably wasn't being piloted by an Al-Quaeda operative straight outta pilot's school.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   

How easy do you think it is to id a target not much bigger than a small truck on a smoke filled battlefield through a sight while your speeding through in a fast jet with some people shooting at you..

I could understand that, except for the fact that these guys where in the middle of friggin no where, no fighting going on, and out of nowhere pops an A-10... despite the fact we had the markings on the tanks, and we waved at him before he came back for a second run....On the first attack, only a couple of guys got killed, it was when he came back that he took out the rest.

BTW amongst the other handful of western vehicles in the Iraqi line up in 1991 and 2003 were Scorpion Light tanks from the same factory that produced the UK Forces armour.

Well aware of that fact, they also had Challengers and Chieftains, and still do...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yes, and if you ecuse my LIMTED KNOWLEDGE OF MODERN ARMOUR they DID have electronic IFF systems active!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join