It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHERIFF: 'We want people to call us if guy down street hates government'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by something wicked

Is there a reason you are selectively ignoring the full quote from the Sheriff of -

“We want people to call us if the guy down the street says he hates the government, hates the mayor and he’s gonna shoot him,”

So, if someone says they are going to shoot someone then it's not something to be even mildly concerned about? Strange thinking....

The thing is, it's always been the law to report someone if they've confided in someone that they're going to commit a premeditated murder or assault with a deadly weapon, so why is the sheriff acting like this is something new he just thought of and is getting funding for this original idea?
The problem is that this soon to be murderer is ANTI-GOVERNMENT.
Just like the parents who kidnapped their kids recently and fled to Cuba. The keyword the media was using was ANTI-GOVERNMENT.

edit on 3-5-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

Good post, but I would respond by saying that if the Sheriff had used an example of..... "I hate my family, I hate my wife, I'm going to kill her" there would be some people on ATS that would then accuse him of interfering in domestic affairs which don't concern him (presumably until the wife is actually dead, at which point the same people would blame him for having done nothing).

Thinking about it though, in America isn't the post of mayor a state rather than federal post? Yep, I think it is, so in that case should it be made clear in this thread that it isn't ANTI - FEDERAL - GOVERNMENT moans that the Sheriff is referring to?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Also, after troubled people are identified by Bradshaw’s teams, then what? Who will pay for their care? The state? Medicaid? The county? The Palm Beach County Public Defender has a good program to ensure qualified people apply for the Social Security and Medicaid benefits they may need, she said. Some high-level conversations have started, but more are needed, Berner added.

I would also like to touch on this statement also, it talks about how would we care for those deemed to be mentally ill, or a "threat" as the rest of the article implies. So if this is a faulty program, essentially the tax payers would be paying for their own neighbors to spy on them.. a self funded community spy agency.. wake up America!

Not to mention it would saddle the state with extra expenses to house these people, plus give them benefits?
edit on 5/3/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Also, after troubled people are identified by Bradshaw’s teams, then what? Who will pay for their care? The state? Medicaid? The county? The Palm Beach County Public Defender has a good program to ensure qualified people apply for the Social Security and Medicaid benefits they may need, she said. Some high-level conversations have started, but more are needed, Berner added.

I would also like to touch on this statement also, it talks about how would we care for those deemed to be mentally ill, or a "threat" as the rest of the article implies. So if this is a faulty program, essentially the tax payers would be paying for their own neighbors to spy on them.. a self funded community spy agency.. wake up America!

Not to mention it would saddle the state with extra expenses to house these people, plus give them benefits?

So what do you think should happen if someone really is mentally ill and may or may not be a threat to themselves or others? Seriously, you've asked the question, what is your opinion?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

So what do you think should happen if someone really is mentally ill and may or may not be a threat to themselves or others? Seriously, you've asked the question, what is your opinion?

Like I said before, if they are indeed a real threat, then of course handle it, there are already programs available to house and care for these people. My fear is, that they will use this as an expansion of their budget to continue to force control. This could become the model of the US, your neighbor could literally lie about you, and get you arrested. How you can not see this as dangerous, I do not know.

All it would take is incentive, people like to be do-gooders, and collect their consolation prize for being a good obedient servant.

What I wonder is, what are the potential abuse factors involved with this.. because there really needs to be hard evidence on people before you start labeling them crazy.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Like I said before, if they are indeed a real threat, then of course handle it, there are already programs available to house and care for these people. My fear is, that they will use this as an expansion of their budget to continue to force control. This could become the model of the US, your neighbor could literally lie about you, and get you arrested. How you can not see this as dangerous, I do not know.

All it would take is incentive, people like to be do-gooders, and collect their consolation prize for being a good obedient servant.

What I wonder is, what are the potential abuse factors involved with this.. because there really needs to be hard evidence on people before you start labeling them crazy.

You are assuming your neighbour lying about you by saying that you said you hate the government will get you arrested, that is a leap from the actual information in your op, but is I guess intended to stir up further anti government sentiment - isn't it?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You are assuming your neighbour lying about you by saying that you said you hate the government will get you arrested, that is a leap from the actual information in your op, but is I guess intended to stir up further anti government sentiment - isn't it?

There is no proof that this will or will not happen, as this is a brand new system. I was bringing up the possibilities of abuse, as there is no evidence.. I use a hypothetical situation.

I'm not trying to stir up anti-government sentiment, I'm bringing up discussion on the encroaching police state, and erosion of freedom.

Again, you are free to allow government to intrude more and more on your private life, as I'm free to stand against it. I feel you're fishing for more than what I presented.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

There is no proof that this will or will not happen, as this is a brand new system. I was bringing up the possibilities of abuse, as there is no evidence.. I use a hypothetical situation.

I'm not trying to stir up anti-government sentiment, I'm bringing up discussion on the encroaching police state, and erosion of freedom.

Again, you are free to allow government to intrude more and more on your private life, as I'm free to stand against it. I feel you're fishing for more than what I presented.

But you are doing it again. As you say, there is no proof this will happen, but most if not all of your posts in this thread appear to take it as a given that it will. Your last paragraph makes this clear. You are standing against something while at the same time saying you don't have the facts of what it will or will not entail. There is zero in the actual facts to say your freedom is being eroded or an encroaching police state but you are implying there is.
edit on 3-5-2013 by something wicked because: for layout only

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by eXia7

Oh for sure. The article indicated it could be a model for the rest of the country. Your OP was great. Hope I didn't give you the wrong impression.

I've lived in two major urban areas for most of my life: South Florida and Phoenix, and both seem to have been testing grounds for all these technologies, systems and programs that straddle a gray area when it comes to personal rights/privacy.

We had red light and speed trap cameras in Phoenix in 1998. We just started getting them in south Florida maybe in the last 2 or so years. But the precursor to them down here were these "other" cameras mounted on the top of traffic lights that face oncoming traffic. It was suggested to me that they are perhaps something other than a camera, but if they are for motion (to change the light, replacing the underground sensor) they are very counter intuitive...besides the point.

Down here we started getting LED traffic announcement boards over I-95 at least by 2008, and then you'd think every elderly person with Alzheimer's was taking a joyride everyday, because these boards posted silver alerts (as a palliative play on Amber alerts, I guess) every single day. Ok, granted, it's Florida. But it seemed odd to me that we were being asked to be on the look out for old people driving Corollas, Impalas and Escalades. I felt as though these announcements were an ushering in of the snitch-society. And, honestly, it's not necessarily a bad idea that a criminal be reported by the public. However, it's a major slippery slope and with this new program, I see too much room for abuse (in addition, let's not forget about our friendly Baker Act we've had in place here in Florida)..

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I believe the main point here being debated is that the sheriff is even mentioning that he's particularly interested in hearing about those who hate the government. Why would he specify this? Isn't it his job to only be concerned about who's a danger to citizens regardless of how they feel about the government?
Serve and protect, right?
Last I heard, sheriffs are public servants, but it sounds like this sheriff is serving the government's interests more so than the people.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I believe the main point here being debated is that the sheriff is even mentioning that he's particularly interested in hearing about those who hate the government. Why would he specify this? Isn't it his job to only be concerned about who's a danger to citizens regardless of how they feel about the government?
Serve and protect, right?
Last I heard, sheriffs are public servants, but it sounds like this sheriff is serving the government's interests more so than the people.

Hi there. I'm actually not sure how selective the quoting has been in the article that this OP is linked to, but as I said in a previous post -

" if the Sheriff had used an example of..... "I hate my family, I hate my wife, I'm going to kill her" there would be some people on ATS that would then accuse him of interfering in domestic affairs which don't concern him (presumably until the wife is actually dead, at which point the same people would blame him for having done nothing).

Thinking about it though, in America isn't the post of mayor a state rather than federal post? Yep, I think it is, so in that case should it be made clear in this thread that it isn't ANTI - FEDERAL - GOVERNMENT moans that the Sheriff is referring to? "

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I'm not sure and I admit that I'd have to go back and read it again, but I was assuming that he meant government as in all branches and offices.
Back to your example, I'd certainly report him. To me, it doesn't matter who someone wants to kill, it's the fact that they're thinking about it and whether or not they have the means and opportunity would communicate to me how much time their victim had. A sheriff always has a weapon and should know better than to say he's going to kill someone. I'd certainly consider him a loose canon who needed to be reported right away. Even if he's not serious, he might be take his frustrations out on the next person who ticks him off.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

One "hates" the government, so one is therefore ordered by the court into court approved "counseling" (for which one must pay) to remedy these "bad" thoughts.

Sounds like 1984's conversion process. Thought reformation as approved by the state.

BS.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence
reply to post by eXia7

One "hates" the government, so one is therefore ordered by the court into court approved "counseling" (for which one must pay) to remedy these "bad" thoughts.

Sounds like 1984's conversion process. Thought reformation as approved by the state.

BS.

Funny you should mention that.
Re-education camps were just discussed exactly one year ago tomorrow.
"Army manual for re-education camps applies to US citizens"
rt.com...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence
reply to post by eXia7

BS.

Yeah, it sounds like a precursor to re-education facilities. Deem those with alternative ideas as rebels of the state for standing up for liberty, I can't believe people don't see the possible abuse this system presents, like I'm posting sensational news and fabricating my article..

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If you live in Florida, flood your local reps and state reps as the Governor has not passed this. Do NOT be silent.

LINK

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hate is letting someone live rent free in your head.

Remember that.

Snitch
Rat

Who want's to live in a country where can't do nothing without being snitched out?

I don't.

The nazi reference was spot on because that is what it is.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow, after reading all of this, it reminds me of several other governments doing the same thing to their people. Here is just one example in the country of Iran.

www.ncr-iran.org...

I remember the good ole days when snitching on your neighbor made you a snitch. Now it will be a way to harass people you just plain out don't like. Just like the nazis program, if you don't like someone, accuse them of something.

Makes me want to be a hermit, but I'm sure someone would narc me off.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I'm not sure and I admit that I'd have to go back and read it again, but I was assuming that he meant government as in all branches and offices.
Back to your example, I'd certainly report him. To me, it doesn't matter who someone wants to kill, it's the fact that they're thinking about it and whether or not they have the means and opportunity would communicate to me how much time their victim had. A sheriff always has a weapon and should know better than to say he's going to kill someone. I'd certainly consider him a loose canon who needed to be reported right away. Even if he's not serious, he might be take his frustrations out on the next person who ticks him off.

Hi, and I would agree. Given that, I'm not sure how much to read into the actual OP as it seems - at least to me - that the approach is actually quite sensible but may have been reported in a very sensationalistic manner?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
So basically its a super expensive neighborhood watch program that knows in advance they will need funding for more mental health professionals? Sounds like they are pretty sure they will be getting reports because advertising that people should play detective and be suspicious of each other shouldn't cost 1 million dollars.

Lets turn the people against the people and make them live in a state of alert and judgement instead of asking why a normal citizen wouldn't say something to begin with if another person said they were going to go on a shooting spree. This is going to be interesting to see 1 million go nowhere. They are asking people to do what they should do anyway if there is a clear threat to self or others. Other than that they are asking the public to play psychologist and read into behaviors and words. What a way to create violence - tell on person who then seeks revenge). What a non creative and lazy solution. Back to the drawing table.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by GrantedBail

That is because you are a decent person. Some people enjoy revenge and blow little stuff way out of proportion.
You don't even have to say a word to some people, just a funny facial expression interpreted as a put-down will do.

Sad, this is a great comment because it pinpoints the problem with all of humanity to be one of distorted perception. The fear, the distrust, the separation. The merest look will send someone with self-hate to make a phone call that can ruin your life. I pray we will as a people move past the distrust and self-hate that has allowed this nightmare of facism to flourish. Love yourself, love each other.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join