It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drones making Gitmo obsolete, reinforcing Patriot Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Things are moving fast, folks!
Obama stated during his first campaign that he was going to close Guantánamo Bay, but now we can see that he wasn't lying after all. He just had to wait until the drones were in place.

"US drone strikes being used as alternative to Guantánamo, lawyer says"
www.guardian.co.uk...

The lawyer who first drew up White House policy on lethal drone strikes has accused the Obama administration of overusing them because of its reluctance to capture prisoners that would otherwise have to be sent to Guantánamo Bay.

"This government has decided that instead of detaining members of al-Qaida [at Guantánamo] they are going to kill them," he told a conference at the Bipartisan Policy Center.

This report today illustrates perfect and strategic timing:
"Navy to unveil first squadron of drones"
hamptonroads.com...

CORONADO, Calif.

The Navy will inaugurate its first squadron with unmanned aircraft, formally adopting drone technology amid debate over its growing use in warfare.

Military officials will launch the maritime strike squadron called "Magicians" today at the Naval Air Station North Island base on Coronado, near San Diego.

The Magicians? You've got to be kidding me!
We all know that magicians are great at making things disappear. All they have to do is get their audience to watch their left hand, so we're not seeing what the right hand is doing. It's all smoke and mirrors.

I realize that I mentioned the Patriot Act in my title, but I believe that this is self-explanatory. Under the Patriot Act, terrorists don't get a trial anyways nor need to be read their rights. The drones just enable this to be taken one step further by eliminating the terrorists altogether and saving the US the money of holding them indefinitely.
Not to forget that there will also be internet terrorists under CISPA.

This is all getting quite frightening. The drones will be busy.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And the rabbit hole deepens.
"Guantanamo attorney dead in apparent suicide"
rt.com...

An American lawyer representing detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp has been found dead in an apparent suicide.

The body of Andy P. Hart, a 38-year-old US federal public defender, was found last week with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. According to Truthout, an investigative blog, news of the attorney’s death came only this Wednesday from an investigator working on Guantanamo detainees’ habeas corpus petitions. That investigator requested anonymity.

Andy Hart was one of several lawyers who signed a March letter addressed to Secretary of Defense Charles Hagel urging for immediate action to end the growing hunger strike. He is survived by an 11-year-old daughter.

What reason would this man have for committing suicide. I'll be interested to see the suicide note.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Think that is rather disturbing that drones are an more acceptable option to Gitmo.

No trials.
No tribunals.

Yeah why do we need Gitmo just kill them instead.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yeah, a bit too convenient for my liking.
I suppose the government will do anything to make their job easier and keep the court system moving like a well oiled machine. Can't have all those trials involving terrorists clogging up the works.
Also, I have to wonder about the patsies. I believe that there are those who will be made to take the fall and won't even be able to defend themselves. After all, dead men tell no tales.

new topics

top topics

join