It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested For Drinking Ice Tea in Parking Lot

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Hey defcon,

Why don't you lock your door , turn on the alarm, take the safety off, put on your favorite Hank Williams album and take a nap.

Your tired and not winning the argument here.

Your making yourself sound just like the racist cop in question.....

Good Night.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by garbageface

Then please explain why the ACLU and others have brought up the point of wanting to know if this is a “problem area” for this type of activity? Yes, police can profile areas for certain type of activity, and people in them can automatically become reasonably suspicious. This is often done with prostitution stings.

edit on 5/4/2013 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

It's a problem area for people drinking alcohol out of tall ice-tea cans?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntrinsicMotivation
reply to post by defcon5

If you found nothing wrong with this then there is not much I can say to you.

I hope you are not a cop, and I hope you never have to deal with this.

Not only is he a cop , I bet he is THE COP! lol

Judging by all the cheer-leading he's doing for him!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

reply to post by ReAwakened

You can just cease with the racists accusations because they are not true.
My car door is locked at all times, I grew up in the murder capital of the world.

You grew up in San Pedro Sula, in northwest Honduras? lol

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by garbageface

Also stated in the article:

Viral video of man's arrest outside Fayetteville liquor store stirs controversyA statement from ABC Law Enforcement Chief Bill Belvin said that despite Beatty's assertion that he was drinking a non-alcoholic beverage, "the officer still had suspicions based on previous experience, and asked to examine the can more closely to determine if alcohol was present."

I suggest that you go read it yourself.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

That has only recently been listed as the “murder capital”.
It changes over time. At various points it has also been Washington DC, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Y

Originally posted by ReAwakened
reply to post by defcon5

Hey defcon,

Why don't you lock your door , turn on the alarm, take the safety off, put on your favorite Hank Williams album and take a nap.

Your tired and not winning the argument here.

Your making yourself sound just like the racist cop in question.....

Good Night.

Seems like sound advice. Only a fool would mentally segregate themselves as to be immune from deviant actions.

Racists usually defend and justify actions when they happen to mixed race encounters.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

You can just cease with the racists accusations because they are not true.
My car door is locked at all times, I grew up in the murder capital of the world.

Well i grew up in Stockton, CA. and I've never been afraid to walk past black guys drinking tea from a tall can to handle my business. Much less real Gangsters, Robbers or Prostitutes because they only mess with people like you!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

I think the guy with the ice tea and the guy filming handled themselves fantasticly and another reason why camera`s pointing back at authority is something thats necessary nowadays.

The cop was just doing his job with checking the drink,but when he found out it wasn`t alcohol being consumed in public,he should have just said "good one guys,I had to check,you have a nice night" give them a thumbs up and walk away.

Now what happens? they get sued for wrongful arrest and who ends up paying for that.

"Don`t start nutin won`t be nuttin "crickey! I just said that with an Aussie accent.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
This was not a fake video, x was arrested and was charged with trespassing and obstruction of a law officer, he is out on a $2000 bond and due to be in court on June 6th, apparently the whole thing that started this mess, the ice tea, was never even examined

That point right there tells me this cops motives were disingenuous. This became a power struggle, and x got screwed. The cop never SHOWED him his ID he just pointed to "something" on his waist. The cop DIDN'T give him a valid reason why he was trespassing when x asked him repeatedly. The only "obstruction" I saw was of x's rights and freedom.

This caused a debate between my BF and I, and although it makes me sick, it seems once you are approached by a cop you no longer have a "right" to question their authority in ANY way without expecting to be arrested or beat down....pretty sad when people have to submit to UNREASONABLE searches or end up face down on the pavement in handcuffs.......

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
dp
edit on 4-5-2013 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TorqueyThePig

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by TorqueyThePig
reply to post by Rezlooper

Well if he was hired by the store owner he was probably given a list of job descriptions. 99.9% of the time when a business owner hires an officer or security guard one of the main duties is to ask people who are loitering to leave. Most liquor store owners don't even care if you purchased something from them. They just simply don't want you hanging out in the parking lot afterwards. Their store, their rules.

The officer/security guard had every right to ask what he was drinking and to smell it. However the guy did not have to comply. However when asked to leave the property he must comply if the owner asked the officer to make him leave, or a letter of authority is on file. One warning is all that is needed. If the person refuses an arrest can be made.

That is the problem I have with this article which is floating around everywhere including infowars. It says a man was arrested for drinking tea. That is so sensationalist. He wasn't arrested for drinking tea.

1 of 2 things happened. He was either legally arrested for trespassing or he was falsely arrested for trespassing.

The tea really doesn't play as big of a roll as people are making it to be. The two questions that need to be asked are as follows. 1. Did the owner call the police to have the man removed from the property? 2. Did the property owner already have a signed letter of trespass authority on file? If either of those two questions are true the arrest is absolutely valid. If neither are true then yes there may be an issue.

We simply don't know those answers. I just find it funny how people who don't know the facts, or people who have never even heard of a letter of trespass authority automatically bash the police.

I say learn all the facts before coming to a definitive answer.

edit on 3-5-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

I don't get the trespass angle at all. The officer never mentioned trespass at the outset, that came after he embarrassed himself. You're right though that the civilian was not arrested for drinking tea, he was in fact arrested for feck all.
edit on 3-5-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

He probably never mentioned trespass at the beginning because he was looking to make an open container arrest. Until the officer (by the written or verbal request of the store owner) warns the suspect that he is trespassing OR asks him to leave the premise it is not a crime.

So to me it seems like the officer did get upset that the dude didn't have an open container and then remembered that he could enforce the trespass.

So I do agree that the officer could of handled this situation better.

ok thats the thing about it all that really makes me mad.see as you said earlier, cops are just people,and their not perfect. Right,but they have the power to act however they want,and ruin your day. its obvious the guy got embarrassed, and took it out they only way he could. by making up charges and taking the dude to jail and thats the biggest problem! cops have the right to just fabricate charges believe me, i've had them do it to me! its not right and where does it stop? its your word against ours, and yeah we can contest it in court and spend money on lawyers, then risk getting the book thrown at us if found guilty.
there is way to much profiling going on. and not just if your black its across all races. if we fit the mold we get treated as criminals. trust me i drove a vw bus for years, guess what happened all the time? cops are militant control freaks,that view everybody as a perp.
also the smug high and mighty thing you all have going on really doesn't instill trust and a compliant attitude towards you guys.
i would also like to ask you personally,at what point does enforcing the law become oppressing the people its a slippery slope. you know?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
www.facebook.com... according to their fb he is not an officer with the Fayetteville police department

The Fayetteville Police Department has received several emails through the departmental website and comments on Facebook concerning an arrest that was made in the parking lot of a local Alcoholic Beverage store. The interaction between a plain clothes law enforcement officer and the citizen was captured on video and submitted to YouTube. The video has generated several concerns about the arrest and the actions of the law enforcement officer. The Fayetteville Police Department would like to clarify that the law enforcement officer in the video is not employed by the Fayetteville Police Department.

www.copblock.org... this one has multiple videos and seems to state that the individual may not even be a police officer.....

www.reverbnation.com... as for tea drinking man he is evidently a pretty successful rapper so money should not be an issue for him if suing comes out of this and would also explain his "fancy" car although (i would not consider a used 300 to fancy my self)

latinrapper.com...

According to the North Carolina Court System website, Mr. Beatty was arrested for 5709 Misdemeanor Second Degree Trespass 14-159.13 and 5310 Misdemeanor Resisting Public Officer 14-223. His court date is scheduled for June 6, 2013.

so that atleast clarifies exactly what he was charged with

law.onecle.com... link to tresspassing charge per local law

allenlawnc.com.../term/5 on the second charge

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by IntrinsicMotivation

bravo man well said!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Trying to picture it...a guy in civilian clothes, looking like a drunk himself, grabbing me and trying to "arrest" me..

Oh no.

I would beat him senseless right there and then call the cop.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
This was not a fake video, x was arrested and was charged with trespassing and obstruction of a law officer, he is out on a $2000 bond and due to be in court on June 6th, apparently the whole thing that started this mess, the ice tea, was never even examined

I didn't mean it was faked, I meant it was a setup.
They went there to cause a stir and film it.

The cop DIDN'T give him a valid reason why he was trespassing when x asked him repeatedly.

You don't have to be given a reason for being trespassed, its at the owner, or his agents, discretion and can be for any reason whatsoever. If you are ever told you are trespassing, boot-scoot out'ta there and don't look back, because legally you can no longer EVER go on the property, and if the police are called you'll get arrested.

The police also DON'T have to give you a reason as to why you are being arrested at the time that they actually arrest you. They have, I believe, 72 hours to put you in front of a judge who will tell you what you are charged with.

pretty sad when people have to submit to UNREASONABLE searches or end up face down on the pavement in handcuffs.......

The laws have been skewed in the favor of the rich and business owners to police the middle class and the poor. If you don't like it, lobby against it.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
What really bothers me is this "officer" refused to identify himself even when asked for id and a badge. This guy was dressed in plain clothes and could have been anyone. Meanwhile a real drunk person dances around and nobody says a word to him...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
GUY GETS ARRESTED FOR CROSSING THE STREET ON A DIRT BIKE
one day rode a dirtbike through a parking lot of an abandon building across the street from my studio, as i was turning around behind the building heading back to my space, i see two cops sitting in their cars talking i nodded and kept going being on private property. then as i crossed the street, one of the cops drove up in his car. i was already in the parking lot of my space at this time. so i rode down the hill, around the building and into the garage. the cops followed me down. well, as we were looking for the vin number for my bike cause the cop just wanted to make sure it wasn't stolen i walk inside to grab my smokes, the cop runs up to the door and looks into my studio asking, whats in there? whats that "smell" ?
well there are two doors real close,(room within a room style) he had his foot on one door not letting me close it so i reach around and close and lock the door and tell him, sorry that door is locked you cant go in there. well needless to say he got pissed. after that they arrested me for a bunch of charges pertaining to a registered streetbike not a operating an off road vehicle ticket. i had to sit in jail for seven hours, get bailed out ,spend loot on a lawyer and go to court in the end it cost around 1200 bucks which only should have been a 250 dollar ticket the one cop had to look in his cop book to figure out what to charge me with oh and they never read me my rights.
this kind of stuff happens all the time cops are above the law and abuse their authority.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

No he isn't a police officer, he's a Cumberland County Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement officer. Apparently in North Carolina, they have a monopoly on retailing all hard alcohol. This occurred on the property in front of the ABC liquor store, and the “officer” had authority in that area including the authority to trespass him.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by spacejosh

All I can get from your post is that you must have been guilty of something because you lost in court.
Beyond that, if you open a door, and they can see or smell something, they can then search that area, you basically gave them cause.

Also, they don't have to read you your rights, that is TV law. Your rights only have to be read when you are going to be questioned. Many places now just have an automatic system in the jail that reads everyone their rights at the same time while they are in holding.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join