It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested For Drinking Ice Tea in Parking Lot

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TorqueyThePig
reply to post by Rubic0n

I agree with you. The officer did a piss poor job of identifying himself. The resisting charge should no question be dropped. The whole thing may get thrown out. I definitely see where you guys are coming from. The defendant may have his charges dismissed and may also have a lawsuit.

Like I said before I just wanted to make it clear that he wasn't arrested for drinking an iced tea.
edit on 3-5-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

That's the thing. In the link i posted you can see that he was actually convicted and fined because of this even though the cop did not identify himself.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by IntrinsicMotivation

Fair enough. I guess you are right. From now on I will automatically think that all contractors will fraud me and all lawyers are corrupt. Survival. Dude that actually makes sense to me. I am not being sarcastic either!

Prepare for the worst hope for the best. Assume someone is going to be a dick but be happy when they are not. Wether they are a cop or a waitress. Make them surprise you.

Wow man. I honestly never thought of it that way.

To prevent yourself from faulty services you should consult Angieslist before hiring someone to do a job

If a waitress has bad service- No tip, and no return business.

Plenty of bad/ selfish/ self-serving Lawyers out there also, but you can choose not to hire them.

Unfortunately we do not get to review the officer who will be responding to a call. We have to deal with whoever shows up.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Bedlam

You are 100% correct. I live in Florida too. If I am working an overtime detail I have to have my uniform on. If I am working under cover I have to show my badge and ID.

This case should be thrown out.

Thank you for being reasonable, fair and honest. Quite a refreshing change from some of the other LEO members on this site. They will never admit that the Blue code exists and that officers can make a mistake. It's always guilty until proven innocent.

Officers like you can change the opinions that "serve and protect" is dead.

However my cynical nature tells me that the Law enforcement in general is trending more to corporate protection and the citizens be damned. The "we/they" attitudes will continue and expand into a militarized force used to fill the for profit prisons.

I hope I'm wrong; but as a futurist, my predictions have held true...

God help us!!
edit on 3-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
So, for you guys out there arguing over what sysup and lean is mixed with, i will post this source. syzup or lean can be mixed into anything liquid, there is no one type of juice or soda that is used

warning may have foul language

edit on 3-5-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

and by the way the best way to avoid harassment when drinking in public is to use a klean kanteen or a paper/ or styrofom cup with a lid and a straw, whats best about the paper cup is it can be tossed and your only out 25 cents this is also prudent if you get a little bit tipsy and you lose your drink. I am in no way condoning or supporting breaking the law, i refer to public events and certain places in America were you can drink in public, i give this advice based on these events and places.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
So, for you guys out there arguing over what sysup and lean is mixed with, i will post this source. syzup or lean can be mixed into anything liquid, there is no one type of juice or soda that is used

warning may have foul language

That is like saying that a man or a woman wearing a coat should be checked because they could be illegally carrying a gun underneath it.

Look , this kid got handled because of his color.

Next time some unknown man walks up to you and demands you to hand over your soda pop just in case you have some syzup or whatever, you remember to obey without question, ok !?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This incident reminds me of another similar incident:

For all we know that rifle could have been a stealth container for liquid codeine. To make matters he was verbally combative with the cops, who he should have bowed before and thanked for doing their job. Right?
edit on 3-5-2013 by Slugworth because: embedding error

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Can you send me the links to these videos? I would like too see one of you and your buds hanging out at Target eating Taco Bell. Thanks.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubic0n

sorry, i think you missunderstood, i was pointing out that anything can be mixed with anything, in any kind of container, and no one should base there judgments on a certain container with a brand name of liquid on the front. thats why i hinted at the paper cup.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
OK, bs. How hard is it to put alcohol into an open can?? Not hard at all. To my knowledge carrying an open alcohol container in public is illegal. All that X had to do was let the officer smell the can. Instead he was defiant. This is why many people get arrested for petty stuff, they're stupid and try pressing their luck.
Chances are that X has a rap sheet as long as his leg too. SMh.

ETA: Arizona tea is also popular in many subcultures. Codeine (illegal without prescription/or illegal to abuse) is used in the tea. OP< I know you are aware of this so stop the race baiting.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
and another thing i dont get, for all the people saying "why was he filming his buddy drinking tea in a parking lot"

I ask you this why does the GOVERMENT try and video everything we do.

they must be up to somthing.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't get the notion that he should have just let the cop smell his iced tea and been done with it. Just because a cop tells you to do something doesn't mean you have to because we've all seen that they frequently ask people to do things that violate their rights (for the sake of argument, I'm ignoring the fact that he wasn't in uniform and did not properly identify himself as a cop). Even if he was looking suspicious and that is what prompted this cop to approach him, seeing him drinking from a can clearly marked as an iced tea beverage is not probable cause for a cop to demand to smell the contents to make sure he didn't add some alcohol.

It is quite obvious that this man was racially profiled. I mean, even one member who tried to say it wasn't racial profiling turned around and asserted that the man probably had an extensive rap sheet (based on what, exactly?). Yes, it could have happened to someone who was white, but only if the person looked a certain way (i.e. white trash, punk, goth, or some other socially-perceived "undesirable" person). In either case, the cop is profiling based on outward appearance. What I'm saying is a middle-aged white man dressed in khakis and a polo shirt would have been able to drink his iced tea in the parking lot next to his car without so much as a sneer from a cop or security officer.

People must be treated equally under the law regardless of any perceived benefits to doing otherwise, and we all have the right to refuse to obey an order from law enforcement that we believe is unwarranted or a violation of our rights. Instead, what we have today are cops getting extremely bent out of shape when such an order is questioned or refused, and instead of explaining why they have the right to do so, they go berserk and taze someone or throw them to the ground and arrest them. This is not keeping the peace. This is contributing to the chaos.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ReAwakened

Your post is all Gibberish. Care to elaborate a little more?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

I agree with what you're saying but we didn't get to see what prompted the officer to confront X.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubic0n

That is like saying that a man or a woman wearing a coat should be checked because they could be illegally carrying a gun underneath it.

Exactly...Just because someone might, probably, could, possibly be doing something wrong does not give a LEO probable cause to make sure they aren't. To assert the opposite is to say that everyone should be treated as guilty until they can proven their innocence, i.e. a cop should stop anyone they see with a soda can to make sure they aren't sneaking alcohol in it. Could you imagine?!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PharaohSmiff
its a shame that some of you are trying your best to figure out a reason why he deserved to be arrested anyone would've been confrontational if you were drinking anything and an officer wanted to check it cmon lets be honest im black living in Atlanta and i have gone through similar incidents every since i hit my teens racial profiling is a way of life here even the black officers do it ive even been told thats why i was pulled over or harassed believe it or not

Bro, you're preaching to the wrong choir...these people are not cut from the same cloth as us.you can tell by their responses...we both know, they don't get it. They'll justify anything police do, especially if it's to a black male. But if this was a yt male, these same posters would have been saying he was right to stand up for his constitutional rights.
edit on 3-5-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I don't think it matters at all what he was doing because it's obvious he wasn't doing anything to warrant attention from the cop. The cop who approaches him is obviously only interested in what he is drinking from the second he approaches him. It is entirely logical to assume that the cop saw X from afar and assumed he was drinking a tall boy. The cop never even asks what they are doing there in the first place. He never shows ID and he is dressed like any other Joe Schmo on the street. If they were doing something that made them look suspicious, the cop would have alluded to it.

He doesn't say anything about their behavior or demeanor. Instead, all he cares about is determining what is in the container (eta: which clearly shows that that was the only reason he approached them). When he can't verify what is in the container aside from reading the label clearly marked as an iced tea beverage, he tells them to leave the property (eta: if he was so concerned about alcohol being in the container, why would he order him to drive away or take his open container somewhere else?). When asked why they have to leave, the cop simply says, "Because you are trespassing." He never once says 1) why he wanted to smell the container 2) why he asked them to leave and accused them of trespassing.

edit on 3-5-2013 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Sure.. Your making excuses and leaping to far fetched conclusions for this sad excuse for a cop exposes your own racist and twisted mentality...

Like i said you are a cheerleader for tyranny...

But you are not exempt from this type of behavior... you fuel it... and one day it will happen to you or someone you care about (if in fact you care about anyone)...

So go ahead.... let em smell your can.....

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
To those who read the series of exchanges between myself and TorqueyThePig I would like to point out one thing for all LEO’s to ponder on.

Torquey felt I was attacking police officers and wanted to prove a point by asking what I do for a living.

After replying to him what I do, he proceeded to compare what I do to his job and that was a serious mistake.

Here is the flaw in that logic. If you hire me to do a job and I do not perform well or you are unhappy with my service, or I defrauded you out of money, that is all you lost. You can write bad reviews about my service to which I might lose potential jobs in the future and you can take me to civil court and recoup your money and best of all you can choose to never do business with me again.

A cop on the other hand takes something away from you that is more valuable than a piece of paper that loses its value every year….. I am talking about TIME.

Cops take people away from their family, rack up legal fees whether you committed a crime or not, it is hard to find a job and support your family after this goes on your record too. People have lost jobs due to a stay in the county jail, can you all see where I am going with this?

This is a messed up cycle and I wish I had an answer to solve this, but the best I can think of for now is to hold these people with positions of authority to higher demands than what they have for us. I should not be considered a criminal for your irrational actions Mr. Officer. Your actions can have lasting effects on the lives of people you pull these types of stunts on, and I am not talking about positive effects.

You of all people Mr. and Ms. Officer/Judge know the Laws and this is why you should be held to higher standards. Do not look at us like it is our fault. They do not teach Law in public schools. While we may understand right from wrong, every municipality has hundreds, if not thousands of Codes, Statutes, ordinances and regulations that we can be hit with a fine for or be sentenced with jail time.

This is why it is a big deal to us when we see such acts as this thread is about. This is your job!!! You are trained and schooled to know these things, how about a little accountability for your actions.

You know what police say to us?

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.

Well I have served mine, now I think it is time for you to man up and serve yours!!!!!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
X's problem is that he didnt get down on his knees and start licking the boots of the "cop".

I give him credit for being as compliant as he was. I would have violently defended myself since the "cop" didnt even try to prove he was legit. People have been robbed by criminals posing as cops before:

abclocal.go.com.../local/new_york&id=9013185

www.nbclosangeles.com...

www.kens5.com...

There are literally hundreds of these incidents that have occured across America and in other countries. Criminals pose as cops because they know MOST people wont fight back.

edit on 3-5-2013 by Nicks87 because: spelling

edit on 3-5-2013 by Nicks87 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PharaohSmiff

completely agree! Why would you let some Joe Shmo let you smell you're drink? Completely ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join