It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Saturday, May 4th is FREE Comic Book Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I didn't even know they had this. It seems, in order to promote comic books to the next generation, they give them away at every comic book store. I don't know how many they allow per person or family but, I might have to check this out.

Comic Books: the Good, the Bad, and the #*&%^*@

It's a little nutty that so many parents in the video felt the need to make a special effort to pass on their love of comic books to the next generation. I mean, I like cookies, too, and I would be sad if my kids went through their childhoods without ever enjoying cookies; but I don't recall that they needed any particular urging to discover and pursue this form of culinary expression. They introduced themselves to cookies just fine.

Anyway, it's relatively new for parents to even tolerate their kids' comic book tastes, much less encourage it. Comic books have been making adults nervous from the get-go -- and not without cause. (Note: I'm going to conflate comic books and graphic novels here, because I'm not convinced there's any difference besides length.)

You used to hear, more often than you do today, that comic books are bad because they make kids stupid and lazy -- that it's a sin and a shame for kids to sit around reading comic books when they could be playing baseball, helping their mothers, or reading actual literature. Nowadays, you're more likely to hear parents grateful that their kids are reading at all, rather than spending the day hunched in front of the Xbox.

NC Register

I just hope they participate in my area.

edit on 5/2/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Ohhh yes!!! Awesome sauce!!
can't wait!!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Gee, you would think more people would be interested in some free stuff. You can't beat the price.

Anyway, I just wanted to give folks a heads up in case they might be interested.

new topics

join