10-year-old boy among victims as more than 20 shot on one Chicago day

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
reply to post by namehere

We haven't banned guns.... You can own one.... Drive with it in your car.... No clip in the slide though.... Nobody said you "Can't" have one....

What does that mean.. No clip in the slide?

And the slide is the very top part of a pistol, the part that moves back and feeds a new round after you fire a shot..

And an AR-15 is NOT an assault weapon as defined by the US Military.

I wish the entire country would model gun control after Chicago. Obviously people are really safe there.

So in Chicago you can carry a firearm but you cannot have a loaded magazine in the magazine well?? How does this protect you if you're carjacked while driving your 2 year old to daycare??

edit on 2-5-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
if innocent civilians could just shoot back.....

I dunno... I'm all for the right to bear arms, but does it really seem like a good idea if everybody starts taking matters into their own hands? Not everybody is a skilled marksman. Some people have retarded dexterity and coordination. One time I asked a friend of mine to toss a dictionary over to me from about 20 feet away, he misjudged the trajectory of his throw and hit me right in the bird and two eggs and I almost raged. Is that the kind of person you would want pulling a Rambo? I can almost guarantee that if there was another James Holmes type incident and everybody turned around and fired at the perpetrator, it wouldn't just be the perpetrator that bought the farm. There would probably be a fair amount of 'oops' shots fired too.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Honestly in my most humble opinion. I've been down the wrong streets Coast to Coast... Chicago is as dangerous as you make it. If you find yourself driving down the wrong street. For Christ sake's people, your not sight seeing in that stretch of neighborhood.... Gun the Gas and get the flock outta dodge... The police will not stop someone who looks like they don't belong and are trying to get out of that block, unless they think your buying drugs....... I know, I've done it a lot
and if you do get pulled over, just tell the cop "Wrong Neighborhood" I need to get back where I belong~

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Sorry I was typing fast. You can't drive with "Any" loaded weapon in the state of Illinois. Especially Chicago. That's a sure fire way of being arrested.

Yes your right the slide is the top of the gun, my appologies. You can have a loaded clip or mag just not in the gun.

I know of 0 gun shops in the City itself. You have to go to the suburbs or Bass Pro / Cabella's / Freddie Bear Sports to purchase a firearm~

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
OK, this incident is once again being used as an argument that gun control doesn't work. It doesn"t?

1997: 761[10]
1998: 704[10]
1999: 643[10]
2000: 633[10]
2001: 667[10]
2002: 656[10]
2003: 601[10]
2004: 453[10]
2005: 451[10]
2006: 471[10]
2007: 448[10]
2008: 513[10]
2009: 459[10]
2010: 436[10]
2011: 435[10]
2012: 506[11]

en.wikipedia.org...

Looks like it's working to me. Gun murders down drastically.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I wish they would compare gun related violence in Chicago to CCW states Texas, Florida et cetera. For the first year CCW was implemented gun crimes rose, after which they declined drastically to the point that the "Thugs" whatever you want to call them think twice before holding up a quick-e-mart as haboush and sandy are packing heat and they might be leaving in a black body bag.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, this incident is once again being used as an argument that gun control doesn't work. It doesn"t?

en.wikipedia.org...

Correlation does not equal causation. We see similar statistics in areas where guns are still widely owned.

The truth is that crime is dropped all across the world - but the media is so sensational that the average person feels like it's getting worse.

Look at crime stats from another state, say.. Texas or Utah or Wyoming or Montana.. And you'll see a similar trend. =]

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by resoe26
if innocent civilians could just shoot back.....

I dunno... I'm all for the right to bear arms, but does it really seem like a good idea if everybody starts taking matters into their own hands? Not everybody is a skilled marksman. Some people have retarded dexterity and coordination. One time I asked a friend of mine to toss a dictionary over to me from about 20 feet away, he misjudged the trajectory of his throw and hit me right in the bird and two eggs and I almost raged. Is that the kind of person you would want pulling a Rambo? I can almost guarantee that if there was another James Holmes type incident and everybody turned around and fired at the perpetrator, it wouldn't just be the perpetrator that bought the farm. There would probably be a fair amount of 'oops' shots fired too.

yeah true that.
At least us ex military should ALL have the right to carry legally and loaded without much questions.
(but with a mental evaluation first at least)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

506 in 2012 that's working? And how many murders still happened with a knife or a bat or whatever?

People are still gonna kill each other with or without guns..

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

So facts don't apply when it comes to gun control? I expected that.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Sooooo true.... If I didn't have a gun... or knife... or bat... I would smack'm with a cast iron skillet....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
506 in 2012 that's working?

As opposed to 760? Gun murders down by 1/3. That's working imo.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

...Thats why the high price.Only an idiot would pay such money for a gun.

I would respectfully disagree with the premise of the person being an idiot because of the price. Imagine the person who cannot own a gun (a convicted felon/criminal) but he/she wants one. The price being so high, he/she will pay the money, get the gun, then so as not be be out that money, rob someone wit the gun to get the cost of it back. So, in the end, the price of the illegal weapon is moot to the criminal.

See, that's how the real world works in this respect.

link   
The Shootings n Chicago, when the weather turns warmer, are as normal as the birds and the Bees.

Mostly they happen within the boundaries of the South and West side where it's like 90% black population, and the rest of Chicago folks, basically just avoid both those parts, which are decimated and falling apart, no work, nothing to do, except join gangs and hustle.

Chicago was built by Gangs that formed based on what nationality you were, Irish, poles, italians, blacks, etc.

It's in the collective consciousness of this city that gangs have been here since the city was built, its in the blood of the city.

I guarantee if I was mayor, I'd know how to put an end to it.

1. All gang members/gun holders/shooters caught with a crime get shipped out of the city and it becomes a felony if you come back.
2. Your new place to live is Military boot camp then joining active service.
3. Start segregating the south and west sides
4. Gang Member gps tracking ankle bracelets for those caught with a crime.
5. Cameras down every side street.
6. Mandatory Summer School/Job Corp when 18, etc

I'm from here, grew up here, and have seen these shootings on my local news just about every other night. To me its normal here
edit on 2-5-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

link   

So facts don't apply when it comes to gun control? I expected that.

No, but tunnel vision is not useful in analysis.

You are accusing me of denying facts when you're the one refusing to look at the entire picture.

In case I wasn't clear, what I was telling you is that crime rates are dropping at a similar pace even in areas WITH guns.. So obviously taking away guns is not the reason. FACT.

So yeah, facts are great, if you have the ability to comprehend them appropriately.

This is really very simple stuff.. Why are you so willing to omit the rest of the picture to serve your agenda?
edit on 2-5-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by intrepid

I think the facts do apply. But looking at those numbers looks like the crime went stagnant and your getting between 450-500 regardless of the gun control laws in place. So is it really.... working?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I guess we need more gun control....but wait guns are already illegal in Chicago, so what is the real problem here?

Unfortunately Xtrozero the problem is the REAL problem is the power of money OVER those who can or would be in position to make a change. And do to this power a LADDER affect has been adopted, conscious or subconscious its there and this allows for basic NEEDS of the general population in that area of Chicago to be misplaced ... Not saying all needs but the fundamentals like School-Art-Public social programs which allow alternative time usage then many current time usages by the youth-Public authority protection as its said parts of the city are LESS patrolled perhaps due to some fear of being outnumbered due to $$$$ not supporting more patrols. Which goes up into the politics involved with the city and the $$$ then becomes more diluted and misdirected, perhaps. Which leaves the living people in these zones lost to those who control tem and lost to their rules and so the Stop Snitching is enforced, for what choice do the people/youth have. To go tell on situations that they witness and know they will not be protected nor their families and then they become a statistic themselves. Its not an option for them they are STUCK like people STUCK in 3rd world countries LOST and STUCK, and unless any REAL effort is made the City of Chicago will be as it has been like some other CITIES GLOBALLY, ALL Stuck and left to be ruled by those who have grown up in the zones who have LEARNED the LADDER and so influence it accordingly. So is gun control the answer or Compassion as a species to recognize problem areas globally and attack or adjust them...

Originally posted by Xtrozero

At some point we need to start blaming culture and I don't mean American culture but subcultures like one would find in Chicago and many other violent places, guns or no guns.

it takes major energy to FIX but its not impossible to be done but it would take a Global effort, as some countries set the prototype and others observe and FOLLOW... until though, this violence will continue and its sad extremely sad for now days there is a WEAK toughness associated to being part of the most nefarious activities as to PROVE ego wise who is strongest amongst this mind group think with ignorant death related activities. Yet when SOUL Captured their energy is the most FEARFUL When alone and not protected by their urban/suburban forces. ALONE as they were born and SHALL remember for they wont be GODS to the GODS they will be what they are... And so a balance WILL be met its just sad it cannot be started here before.

GOD bless ALL victims Stuck in Chicago and around the globe as it is a SAPIENS SAPIENS issue and may the Mirrors find those projecting their negative passions and reflect upon... in order to BALANCE.

from one of my favs... Its called no guns allowed by Snoop Lion, thanks.

MONEY MAKES A MAN AND THATS A CRIME...

ITs CAN be fixed here, if the compassion is real

NAMASTE*******

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Additionally, any useful analysis would look at the rate of violent crime as a whole. Obviously making it harder to obtain a firearm will reduce gun related crimes

Exactly. What's so hard to comprehend then? You just said it.

- but does that reduce the overall rate of violent crime?

We're talking about GUNS here. The purpose of this thread was to prove gun control doesn't work. You and I have just shown that it does. Thanks.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Something's wrong everywhere. People are sick, getting angry and going nuts. It's a real plague - obviously in the air and water and food. Time to retool.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You have to go through a lot of hoops to "Own a gun in Illinois"

1: FOID application to the state police a $10 fee / backround check and 1-3month leed time

2: Handguns when purchased have a 72hr turn around until it's in the owners possestion.

3: Shotguns are a 24hr turn around..... I waited 72hrs until I could pick up both my handgun and shotgun together.

4: Just because you have a FOID card does not always gaurentee they will sell you the gun as they run you through a registration service that will either say "Yes or No"

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join