It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos of Amazing foot of snowfall in May (NW Wis)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I've lived up here my whole life and I've never seen anything like this. The Twin Cities area once recorded 2 inches of snow in May, so it's safe to say the record has been shattered as a foot has dropped on most areas through the region. And according to the forecast, snow will continue to fall throughout the week changing over to mostly rain through the weekend. What a mess!

Moisture, moisture, moisture. There is a lot of moisture in the air for these continued snowstorms and heavy rain events. Right now what is happening is that there is a rare event taking place called the Greenland Block where a large warm air pocket is stuck over Greenland pushed up from the Atlantic. The warm air is pushing the Arctic cold air down over central North America and over Europe. Forecasters had predicted that this Block was giving in last month but yet, it remains. Simply amazing to get this much snow and cold this late into the year. It's getting hard for people to argue that nature is out of whack right now. The question will soon be...why? We know it's happening but what's causing it?

Kansas City has seen measurable snow in May only once in recorded history, so this would be a rare event. In addition, Rochester, Minn. will likely see its biggest May snowstorm in history by recording more than 2 inches.

Rare May snow in Midwest

The weight of heavy snow downed tree limbs, triggering power outages in parts of northeast Colorado Front Range. Power outages and downed power lines were also reported in southern Minnesota and western Wisconsin early on May 2. This was the first one-inch-plus May snowfall anywhere in the state of Iowa since 1967 and the first such May snow in Sioux Falls, S.D. since 1944. This was on the heels of a rare ice storm for mid-April in Sioux Falls.

Here are some pics from outside my house on May 2nd.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Those are beautiful photos, i love snow

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhaal
Those are beautiful photos, i love snow

Yeah I love it to...when it melts! Seriously though, I don't mind it either but this is getting ridiculous. I love summer more!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

That spring snow is HEAVY, so I'm sure that there will be some damage. On the bright side, Wisconsin farmers need that precepitation. I just hope that the meltoff does not cause to much flood damage.

Oh Crap! There goes Lake Delton again.

edit on 2-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: spelling

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

That spring snow is HEAVY, so I'm sure that there will be some damage. On the bright side, Wisconsin farmers need that precepitation. I just hope that the meltoff does not cause to much flood damage.

Oh Crap! There goes Lake Delton again.

edit on 2-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: spelling

The Lake Delton drainage, that was quite an event. There is precip predicted for the rest of the week with either snow or rain so it's going to increase the flood chance for southern WI and MN.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Its still snowing were I am In NW Wisconsin, snow plows just got out to plow, I have 12+ inches of snow, would post picture but have not figured out how to do it.

was outside for awhile decided to come back in since the weight of the snow is snapping limbs off of the trees around the house.

Down with this white stuff let the sunshine begin]

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Looks like Intellicast.com is predicting freezing rain/snow after midnight for you too, yuck. Showing your area as 30-32. I am further south, not by much on the north side of lake Erie and it is sunny and warm (72) and has been for a couple of days, on my back deck in the sun, my outdoor thermometer read 40 C, feel for ya.

If you add a layer to the map for temperatures, you can see just where all the cold regions are in north america and the world. It sure looks out of sorts with the cold temps dipping all the way to Mexico.
edit on 2-5-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Wondeful pics Rez,

I wish i was there to enjoy the snow!

Just a quick question for you : Do you work for Coca Cola?

You certainly got the name of the soda in good view

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Meanwhile, not too far away (geographically speaking) here in Washington State we are predicted to have an incredibly nice, warm week.

They are saying up around 80 by the weekend and begining of next week. Nice, sunny 70s here today. That may not seem like much to some people, but in the PNW (Seattle area), this is quite unusuall for this time of year. Last week it was raining and in the 40s.

Wierd weather!!!! (I'll take ours any day though
)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Wow, that is insane... And I hate living in snow, though it's nice for a vacation.. just not living with it =D

There is definitely something going on with the Arctic this year, perhaps the begin of runaway warming?

Do you have any links for the Greenland warm air over it? That is very intriguing to me

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Beautiful pictures. Us Southern Californians don't get to see much of that unless we are on vacation or watching a movie
. I love the snow too but I don't have to live in it.

With that said, it is supposed to be 95 degrees here on the coast tomorrow. It doesn't get that warm here even in the summer.

Yeah, weird weather.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
We keep getting Spring snow too, but that is normal for Colorado. There is an unspoken rule that you don't plant anything until Mother's Day because of the chance of snow or frost. I remember it being like this when I was a kid, but there hasn't been much snow like that in the past 10-15 years, nothing like I remember when I was a kid anyway.

I'm so sick of the snow, it was 80 just a few days ago, then we got like 10" of snow. It was snowing yesterday and now it is melting off. I really need to move to a warmer state, I'm sick of Colorado weather.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
Wow, that is insane... And I hate living in snow, though it's nice for a vacation.. just not living with it =D

There is definitely something going on with the Arctic this year, perhaps the begin of runaway warming?

Do you have any links for the Greenland warm air over it? That is very intriguing to me

Hey Philippines, here is a couple of links to describe the cold and snow we've experienced this year.

First, this is a rare weather event that occurred in January that kick-started our winter. This is accurate to, here in northwest WI, winter didn't arrive until mid to late January. We had a couple of thunder and lighting storms at the start of December, and then when we had our first snowfall, it was accompanied by thunder. What they call thunder snow, and something I might say I haven't heard too often over the years.

Winter weather linked to rare event over North Pole

Then, when our spring was supposed to arrive, the Greenland Block arrived instead. NASA satellites tracked the event and it was reported that it was one of the strongest Greenland Blocks on record. Way back in March they predicted this thing was going to break up but it didn't and we still suffer the wrath of winter while other areas are experiencing extremely warm conditions, some much warmer than normal.

NASA satellite measures Greenland Block that stopped spring

Also, as most of you know about my methane gas theories, I blame the increasing methane levels on this rapid warming that is occurring globally. I'll add this link that goes with the rare weather events that are occurring in the Arctic. This article with images shows how methane has been at record levels over the Arctic this past winter.

Record methane levels for the Arctic in early March

As some have posted on here...if you aren't trapped within the low pressure area caused by the Greenland Block, you're experiencing some warmer weather than usual. Down in central FL, I've heard from some friends they are much hotter than they should be and already suffering high levels of humidity a month early. One poster above comments about 95 degrees on the Cali coast, where this never happens. It's already hitting triple digits in the southwest and another poster said they've had unusually warm weather up in the northwest. We're warming up big time and we here in the Midwest will soon find relief from the Greenland Block and our summer will arrive, and I'm thinking we're about to head from one extreme to another...a foot of snow to scorching hot air and extremely volatile storms! I predict that we're going to completely skip spring this year.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
My first trip to the Bozeman, MT \ Yellowstone area about 7 years ago ended on June 8.
We woke up that day to 8 inches of snow.
It was amazing to see.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I know they get snow late in the year in the higher elevations, but that's still crazy.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
hahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahahaha

hahahahaha,,,, ya this is what its like to be a canadian!!! enjoy it!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
HHHAAAA!!! Hey Rez....Love the pics......just as long as you keep it up there with you. Snow is pretty to look at, but I can't believe I just said the cursed "S" word!!!!

It was just absolutely beautiful down here today...83 degrees, it was a shame I had to work.

We were supposed to get storms, I looked at the weather map, seen storms, and the snow behind it, and I was seriously thinking we might get some real bad weather.

We have had a serious drought around here, with all the rain we had a few weeks ago, the Wabash river(which is usually only a few hundred feet wide), went over its banks, and was over a mile wide.

According to NOAA weather radio, down stream in southern Illinois, it was the worst flooding in 50 years.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Pole shift, aren't we going threw a kind of dust bowl event up in space? We're going threw some belt?
Anyway's...

HARRP attack from other countries..although, I don't think Harrp changes weather patterns...or does it??

But......geo-engineered weather can cause all this rain....

Anyways...you all need to be careful...please. Flooding, and w/ lots of moisture you will see sink holes...ect.

I think the earth plates are shifting...like a house of cards.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Thanks for the links Rez, you know my feelings on the subject =D The links are great too, with so much info that I really need some more time to absorb it all.

Perhaps this is the year for runaway global warming to start. It is coming fast imo, much sooner than 20+ year projections. I'm pretty sure Greenland will melt significantly this year, perhaps record levels.

I like to keep an eye on Arctic.io and their daily IR map and other overlays [here]

Around here it seems like we are ~2 months early with the rainy season... And there is no shortage of rain with an annual amount of around 30 feet. A lot!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
How does everyone miss the opening line of the op's statement: "I've lived up here my whole life and I've never seen anything like this." No one notices a change in the earth? No one feels like something is out of whack? i feel like there's something going on with Earth that tptb aren't telling us. jus' sayin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join