Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

You don't have Free Will.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's a paradox that leads to the inevitable conclusion that we are forced into having a free will, regardless if we want to or not.

So you do have free will, and have no choice in this matter, therefore both exist at the same time equally.

I could go into far more detail about this, but I feel this should do for now.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Sorry but I don't agree, having no free will goes against everything I teach my children and practice myself. I however have completely unplugged from the zombie life that most people are in today.

I decided to stop taking drugs along time ago and NEVER looked back, the very idea of being a zombie even 20yrs ago was enough to stop me. However thats a different story.

I have lived my whole adult life expressing my free will and using it in daily life. The last job I went for suggested that it would help if I had facebook, I told them to shove it. I agree that nearly everyone has lost their free will nowadays but its not affected everyone yet.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
While I can agree and see your point ( the OP's ) in this matter, I at the same time am reminded of a person I know dearly well, Myself, I make so many decisions that are emotion based or many would say Gut feeling, those are my decisions, since I feel it and I decide to go with it. At the same time, free will is the act of doing an action freely from one's own thought process, others can influence your thought process, but you ultimately have to carry out the action relation to said thought, giving you sole ownership of said action, you can choose to put that gun, that cigarette, that fist, the brake petal down or never to of touched it at all, or even several thousands of actions before hand and completely alter the whole outcome.

I see where you are going, but we ultimately are walking biological action filters. The sum of our lives equal the amount of free will we have used. Kinda like our name is our virtue.

To force another into doing something is to of tricked them in one way or another and that's another issue ( deception ) which is to falsely inform someone, but you can be falsely informed ( deceived ) and still feel " weird " and decide not to carry on with being deceived. What's a better lie detector than another human?

Free Will is alive and well, didn't have breakfast with em this morning, but instead drank red fruit punch, oh yeah
gotta love it... next I dunno maybe I will continue to be random for the next 50 years, good day
edit on 2-5-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Here is the scientific explanation and real visual demonstrations what is actually happening while conscious is asleep.

We need to practice on becoming more aware in our everyday lives. Be aware of our environment, aware of the things we are eating for instance next time when we're feeling hungry and contemplating where/what we want to eat for lunch or dinner and take notice on the decision you made, is that 2lb sirlion stake hamburger with globs of chillie fries decided upon from taste buds or your conscious awareness? It's from our subconscious usually wants to create feel good emotions and pleasures disregarding whether it's healthy for our bodies or not. If it's from my own conscious awareness, I'm going to contemplate whether that decision is healthy for my body, is it worth high intake of fats, calories, salts, plaque clogging my arteries, for a short time of pleasure? Most likely not, so the value of eating veggies and other healthy food to help reverse the side effects of poor eating healthy is much greater, so I can suck it up and eat something not so appetizing to my taste buds but at least I know it's doing good for health and then eventually I can re-program my subconscious to find veggie meals to be even more appetizing just by repetition and affirmations and visualizations will help with that.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

Yes! Totally agree. Possibly expanding on what you stated. How many individuals listen to there intuition? How many blatently ignore and go against that gut feeling? Which road leeds to happiness and which road to unhappiness?

To follow your intuition, everytime is to stay true to yourself, no? I think so.

Example: I ran a successful company and upon learning my fiance became pregnant. A weight fell on me. I can make sure she is 150% financialy stable, myself as well no monetary needs. Though the reprocussion to this was I am gone 3-5 months at a time....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I exercise my freewill to heed the intuition of my subconscious.

Rarely do I consciously override my gut instinct...I "have learned" (that) the silent guy in my head
is more aware, and quite a bit smarter, than the loud-mouthed guy who usually runs the show

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Something I always feel is necessary to point out when discussing free will..

Having true free will (as defined by most people) doesn't actually matter as long as we have the unfaltering illusion of free will. As long as we think we are operating on free will there is no reason for us to worry - and it doesnt matter how much evidence of otherwise gets thrown at us, at the end of the day we will still feel like we are making a decision, even if we 'know' we are not.

Of course this suggestion that we can't actually tell if we have free will or just think we do, in and of itself may be bothering to those of you who like to think.. and of course ignorance cannot be reattained once it is lost... At least not without serious memory loss.

My apologies to those who will now be bothered by this idea and were not before! (What.. the motto is "Deny Ignorance", right?)
edit on 2-5-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-5-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I believe you have free will in how you react to what happens to you in your life-to situations,to communications from others(dialogue)etc- to how you choose to let it affect you.Most people who are not wealthy enough to have the funds to set things in motion themselves-to "make things happen" lead mostly reactionary lives.Those are the ones who can still have the power though,to perform random small acts of kindness,to teach fortitude+a positive attitude to others,to inspire through example.The single most empowering act of free will is:"I will not let this get me/keep me down" Imo.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

"I will not let this get me/keep me down"

Just reminded me of the song that goes.... Aheeem: Ain't nobody gonna break my style.... Ain't know one gonna hold me down~ Woh no~ I got to keep on moving!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Whosthatgirl

Being unplugged from a so-called zombie life does not mean that your subconscious mind is not controlling 95% of your actions and thoughts...

Originally posted by Whosthatgirl
Sorry but I don't agree, having no free will goes against everything I teach my children and practice myself. I however have completely unplugged from the zombie life that most people are in today.

I decided to stop taking drugs along time ago and NEVER looked back, the very idea of being a zombie even 20yrs ago was enough to stop me. However thats a different story.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
The single most empowering act of free will is:"I will not let this get me/keep me down" Imo.

Just my opinion: Consciously saying "I will not let this get me/keep me down" shows where your subconscious focus is, on the this. And you usually get more of what you subconsciously focus on.

Although there can be exceptions and I am in no way to judge in any other case but my own, including yours.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Free Will is one of the biggest myths of all time.

EVERYTHING you do is a choice and you don't make a choice that has not or is not influenced by some external factor or CAUSE.

Can you make a decision, any decision, completely free of ANY external cause? You can't. And, because of this one simple truth, the definition of free will becomes a contradictory phrase.

And to not have free will, does not make you a robot predestined to some arbitrary fate. You are simply a creature who does, in fact, have a WILL, but that this WILL is not free to make a choice that is outside of any external cause.

We are all living beings with the ability to make choices.

What amazes me is seeing people accept this myth of free will, when the truth is staring then in the face. I guess the myth is really about having people feel that they are in control of their destiny. With a will, you still are, but you are too close to the situation to readily determine if there is some sort of divine intervention that CAUSED you to make the choice you did. Your fate is in your hands, but your choices are not and never will be FREE to make outside of any external factor that CAUSED you to make that choice.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This seems to be the new consensus among many scientists. They are now saying that our brains are more or less programmed by nature and evolution to make decisions that are best suited to our survival. This would mean that we are basically nothing but complex organisms with a highly evolved brain... so highly evolved that we developed the ability to be introspective and see ourselves as unique individuals with distinct personalities, when in reality the brain is just a very clever computer. Some are now saying that even our sense of individuality and personalities are an illusion; that the mind itself is merely an illusion which results from different parts of the brain all working together in unison.

Here's something that we have to consider though. If it was proven beyond a doubt that all of the above were true, wouldn't that completely turn the legal system inside out? If there was no such thing as free will, and we weren't consciously making decisions, then technically nobody would be responsible for their actions, because the brain just randomly made those decisions and we couldn't do anything about it, because 'choice' is just an illusion. You'd start hearing things like "But your honor, I didn't decide to go on that shooting rampage in the school. I have no free will. My brain just kind of did it and it isn't my fault." or "Your honor. I didn't choose to rape that woman. My brain succumbed to an evolutionary instinct to spread my DNA to keep the species going. I wasn't able to make a moral choice. We're just very advanced organisms, and our brain will automatically do whatever is necessary to accomplish that."

In my opinion it's opening a tin of worms that might be better off sealed.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
We can never have free will as long as we are made of flesh that demand actions, you have to eat, take a dump, sleep, keep worm, safe, clean and healthy. Just these needs keep you from having free will.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In our universe, we don't have free will - there is only one possible path. In the multiverse, there is free will.

What would it mean for you and me to know there are inconceivably many yous and mes living out all possible histories? Surely, there is no point in making any choices for the better if all possible outcomes happen? We might as well stay in bed or commit suicide.

Deutsch does not agree. In fact, he thinks it could make real choice possible. In classical physics, he says, there is no such thing as "if"; the future is determined absolutely by the past. So there can be no free will. In the multiverse, however, there are alternatives; the quantum possibilities really happen. Free will might have a sensible definition, Deutsch thinks, because the alternatives don't have to occur within equally large slices of the multiverse. "By making good choices, doing the right thing, we thicken the stack of universes in which versions of us live reasonable lives," he says. "When you succeed, all the copies of you who made the same decision succeed too. What you do for the better increases the portion of the multiverse where good things happen." Let's hope that deciding to read this article was the right choice.

www.labyrinthina.com...
edit on 2-5-2013 by redtic because: added link

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
There is no free will. Only weak and strong wills.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Interesting and 1 () agrees
thing is, is the Pilot STILL in control? of WILL... A will that may span from 1 dimension to another as well as from each Existing form to another. Like Russian Matryoshka doll as its 1 doll of MANY forms. Interesting OP

Is EACH FORM piloted by a MAIN HIGHER SELF which is WILLING itself, outside of being Guided or Overseen by Elders as 1 calls them? Therefore still allowing freewill to be present in each SHELL like the Russian doll ex:

NAMASTE*******

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

You seem to be suggesting that because 98% of my actions are subconsciously motivated, they do not constitute free will. If they are not free will, then they are against my will, implying that I am to some extent possessed or influenced against my will by an outside force.

The truth is, nothing can force me to do something against my will without making its presence known. And since I don't sense anything that would indicate a foreign influence deliberately guiding my actions, I can safely conclude until further evaluation that I am operating under my own free will. Just because it is subconscious, doesn't mean it is not me. My subconscious is crafted and cultivated by my conscious, which is a real-time manifestation of my free will.

If you can refute this, I'd be interested in hearing it.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

Well we COULD make decisions without external influence, but we would probably all end up broke, dead, or miserable.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Great article, I agree with a lot of it. Also there is the question on the role of intuition imo.

I find it great to change your lifestyle, environment, culture, surroundings, etc. to really gain a lot of different perspectives and understanding of the various ways of life.

In a way, I think the changes mentioned above help to stimulate a free will, but that freedom is shrinking each day it seems.

Edit to add: Even then, this TIME article is full of suggestions as well, which would affect your "free" (manipulated) will. imo the media and people who are under the influence of television (media etc.) will also affect that "free" will.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Philippines because: edit reason there on the bottom

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join