It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't have Free Will.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

Can't say that I disagree

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This is why getting to know you subconscious is so important. I highly recommend recording your dreams and trying to figure out what is going on in there, I have found it to give insight.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by ausername
If the future already exists then despite the illusion of free will, all of the choices you will make are already predetermined... The only way to change that is to have precise foreknowledge of the future and then willfully make different choices.

How can anyone know the future?
Do you assume the future exists?

edit on 3-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

No assumptions here, of course the future exists, same as the past and present. Time is the governing factor. Your passage through your timeline is defined by your perceptions and your current point in time. No one can know the future. But it is possible for information from the future to be sent back in time.. It has happened on a few occasions, but proving it could reveal technologies that are inherently dangerous. When you change the timeline it can have dangerous consequences on your present, and future.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ausername

If you have never seen the future or heard the future then it must be an assumption that the future exists.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

If you have never seen the future or heard the future then it must be an assumption that the future exists.

That is your perception, if you had seen it, and had precise foreknowledge of future events and was able to make choices you did not have on your original timeline your perception would change. The only thing missing is the information from the future, and of course how it is sent back in time to you.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

That is your perception, if you had seen it, and had precise foreknowledge of future events and was able to make choices you did not have on your original timeline your perception would change. The only thing missing is the information from the future, and of course how it is sent back in time to you.

Yes - I have not seen the future. Have you seen the future or heard the future?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
reply to post by TauCetixeta

Can't say that I disagree

There are 2 more:

Power of Intelligence

Power to Love

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Where all slaves to reality whether it being chemically, quantum, or spiritual.

"We are all puppets, Laurie. I'm just the puppet who can see the strings. " - Dr.Manhattan (most powerful cartoon character)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

-Einstein( Most powerful mind of the 1900's.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

No I have not seen or heard from the future. I have seen information from a future. The course was changed and a catastrophe avoided. The future ahead of us now is completely unknown.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

No I have not seen or heard from the future. I have seen information from a future. The course was changed and a catastrophe avoided. The future ahead of us now is completely unknown.

What information have you seen 'from a future'?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Not relevant to this discussion thread, you have a private message.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Stories about past and future are only ever stories - they might be true or not be true but they can only be heard presently where ears are.
No one has ever escaped presence in reality. Nothing has ever happened outside of presence.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Adaluncatif

if you can not dazzle them with brilliance.....

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hey guys, don't escape the topic!!

Do we have free will or not?

We cant choose:
our family
our body
everything that determine the choices we make

or can we?

Maybe we, as souls, can choose a lot...

Or not.

Either way, the factors that makes us go one way or another are not chosen.

So, we cant choose the cards we have to play.
Can we choose the brain we have to decide which card to play?
No, we cant.

What can we control????
What can we choose after all?

Its a good question...

For me it will remain like that, a question... And i accept the fact that we MAY NOT HAVE FREE WILL!!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Stories about past and future are only ever stories - they might be true or not be true but they can only be heard presently where ears are.
No one has ever escaped presence in reality. Nothing has ever happened outside of presence.

Time governs your perception... You are where you are now, you know how you got to this point in time, it is impossible for you to know anything beyond that... Have you ever looked at distant stars and galaxies? You are looking back in time because of the great distances, and the speed of light... What if there was a way to view it as0 it exists now without changing the distance? The technology to do that also provided other unique opportunities for research and development. While you cannot phisically escape the present, you can look back in time, and it is possible to send "information" back in time...

For another discussion at another TIME. not here or now.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Specimen

Since all atoms are breaking apart into sub particles and speeding off faster than light we must realize ALL MATTER IS BEING GENERATED AND IS NOT SOLID. It is very possible when we drive down the road there is nothing over the hill until the observer gets there, so REALITY IS A PRODUCT OF THE MIND IT DWELLS IN.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manula

We cant choose:
our family
our body

or can we?

Or not.

No, we cant.

What can we control????

Its a good question...

For me it will remain like that, a question... And i accept the fact that we MAY NOT HAVE FREE WILL!!

We choose our bodies in heaven before we are born.

Reincarnation

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta

Originally posted by Manula

We cant choose:
our family
our body

or can we?

Or not.

No, we cant.

What can we control????

Its a good question...

We choose our bodies in heaven before we are born.

Reincarnation

Do we choose? Does it make any difference?
Why did we choose this bodies?
The soul chooses too...
Why does the soul choose one way or another?
Does the soul chooses his own soul?

From what i read, souls are born from the one being, they are born and they grown, just like humans.

As above so bellow.

Souls are just another form of consciousness.

Do souls have free will?

Do souls choose the factors that make them choose one way or another?

No.

The logic i exposed earlier applies to souls too.

The question remains.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Manula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Manula

You are confused because you were born with a veil of forgetfulness.

This is not your 1st time here on Earth.

You have been here at least 24 other times.

- Reincarnation -

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Yes, I've come by this theory before. And it seems to me to be a wholly irrational reductionism. Occams razor recommends using as little assumptions as possible. Karl Popper suggest simplicity in theory formation, that way the theory can be made falsifiable. With this theory, you have essentially attributed the entire gamut of experience and decision making to a pre-made set of archetypes which the self unconsciously integrates in it's development, rendering it unfalsifiable. In short, you've developed a theory that proposes to solve all things by claiming an "archetype", or meme, is responsible for it.

(1) informational in physical structure and (2) it is a work-in-progress.

What does "informational" mean? Where is information other than in the mind? And what is the mind? Have you ever read "how to create a mind"? It was a waste of time as the author simply skates around the utterly simple fact that consciousness is a sui generis, a "thing" different from all things physical.

No one denies that the brain "produces" consciousness. Anyone who has any part of their brain damaged or removed will lose that corresponding function. However, there are plenty of contradicting data worldwide showing the survival of consciousness, or ESP types of abilities. I find it amazing that stroke victims who have had their left hemisphere permanently damaged by blood or oxygen deprivation have nevertheless managed to "reawaken" functions that for long were thought to be processed by only "this" part of the brain. Of course, it could be argued that the brain contains a full memory of all of its parts, that the left hemispheres information processing could be handled by the right because the right still possessed that information. However, thus far, we have no reason to believe that. In fact, one could argue the "memory" is not in the brain, but some place else.

Have you read Eban Alexanders "proof of heaven"? Eban was a 20 year neurosurgeon. At age 48, Eban was stricken by an extremely rare bacterial infection (Ecoli bacterial meningitis: a 1 in 10 million probability of happening to someone without any immune issues) that essentially turned off his neocortex. Somehow, despite his brain being "offline" he had experiences in the other world, information from that world, that touched the very core of who he is.

Other scientists have posited the existence of an "astral" body - not using that term, of course, but the idea is the same. Between the "mind" and the body lies a mental-image interface that imposes the "information" of the self upon the physical body. This helps explain why the gene project has so far created more confusion than clarification. How is it humans and mice have almost the same number of genes, yet, they are radically different creatures with radically different abilities? Where does the information come from, that makes a human a human and a mouse a mouse? Basically, the genes could be thought of as the "alphabet" - base products, or encoding, which some etheric or mental "information" imposes form upon. How it functions, and in what order it triggers change in the genome, is subject to this non-physical processing upon the gene.

So far, science understands how overwhelmingly complex the gene is. We have merely the knowledge of the letter "a" and "b". But not how A can become a sentence that makes syntactic sense. And we have no indication that this information lies within the gene itself.

The physicist Henry Stapp believes that quantum mechanics is what mediates between consciousness and body. Quantum mechanics is all about probability. In those famous experiments which show the effect observation has on the experiment, many have wondered what that means. In effect, consciousness of any ONE state determines the state chosen. In the brain itself, the mind chooses a thought it wants to think: before this thought is chosen, an action potential may have been built, but at the axon terminal, a specific neurotransmitter has yet to be chosen: if it is the activity recommended by earlier circuitry (as in OCD), there is a greater probability that this activity will be chosen, and so, the mind feels "compelled" to choose it. However, the mind has final veto power. It can imagine a different state, choose a different thought, and so cause the action potential to release a different neurotransmitter.
The only way to explain this process is to posit the existence of a will separate from bodily processes.

As to the million dollar question: how come someone loses cognitive functions when he incurs damage to the corresponding brain area? Perhaps this has to do with association. When the mind is associated with a body, the two become one. What happens in one, also happens in the other.

I've also observed an interesting parallel between the observation experiments from quantum physics and the effect self-observation can have on the state of the self. Basically, when the observation is made, a specific "reality" is chosen. Take someone with self esteem issues: at home, he feels confident, his state of self could be said to be at peace. But when he enters a stifling social situation which oftentimes affects his behavior in a negative way, the observation of the "new" experience engenders a shift in his sense of self. He may return home, to his "safe-haven", but having observed himself in a different light, he feels, like the experiment which has been observed by a scientist, to have become "determined" in a different way. Of course, it isn't permanent. The feeling lasts so long as the thought form remains in place. But thats the point: a new thought form, or a NEW self-observation, needs to be made in order for the self to become determined in a different manner.

It's as if our self observations were made by a self that is beyond the self, determining it's own sense of who he or she is.
edit on 3-5-2013 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join