It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Soldier might get Court Martial for being a Christian.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

He has a point though, Real Christians shouldn't sign up to a service which pays you to murder people, even if it is to protect others.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Originally posted by neo96
The proselytizer in chief is kind of hard for anyone to miss not just him all politician's do it.

What are you talking about? I have never heard of Obama try to recruit someone to be a Christian...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Cinrad

OK.... Sharia laws are good? lets debate converting the country to sharia law?

This is not the middle ages. Converting someone's religious belief is actually is preying on their weakness.

I've been witnessed to by Muslims. Also by Krishnas, pagans and Wiccans. Generally they're not as pushy as Witnesses but still, it happens. I was never offended by it.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

No. They just aren't permitted to try to RECRUIT soldiers to their religion. There's a difference between saying, "I'm a Christian" and saying "Have you allowed Jesus Christ into your heart"? Do you see the difference?

So are you writing the handbook on what you can say and how you can say it? If not, I think you should offer your services to the Obama administration.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

What are you talking about? I have never heard of Obama try to recruit someone to be a Christian...

Never heard of the church of government?

Complete with its 'chaplns'(politicians) expousing the holiness of government virtues, to right all the wrongs bring mercy, and compassion to the masses".

It's plain as day for most people to see that the government has eclipsed, nay one up religion.

In fact it has replaced religion, and has become a new one.

That 'church' of government is more corrupt, and more blood thristy than any radical.

People cry about separation of church and state where government has become a state religion.
edit on 2-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by neo96

The proselytizer in chief is kind of hard for anyone to miss not just him all politician's do it.

No, as per his quoted definition of proselytizing under the heading of politician, Obama proselytizes the "religion of government".

You did not get the sarcasm either? In addition, Obama seems to have botched his Swearing in ceremony and doing it a second time in private. I think he had an issue with swearing allegiance to America with his hand on the bible and a lot of people think that as well. Not to mention his pastor of many years has an allegiance to the religion of Marxist Black Liberation theology, which is a kind of exclusionary theology in that it promotes only the salvation of black people. Also, it may be that Obama, having attended a Madrassa as a young child in Indonesia, he may very well be a muslim.
If that is the case, he may very well have an aversion to Christianity in the military. Remember, he insisted on having religious artifacts covered up at Georgetown University when he came to speak, and really, what true Christian would EVER do that?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
So are you writing the handbook on what you can say and how you can say it?

No. I just know how to read. I know what words mean.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Never heard of the church of government?

No. Government is not a religion. Again. Words mean things.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
So are you writing the handbook on what you can say and how you can say it?

No. I just know how to read. I know what words mean.

Again, it seems to be a matter of delineation of specifics. It will have to be spelled out in writing so that there is no mistaking.

How can a military chaplain operate without sharing his faith?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

No. Government is not a religion. Again. Words mean things.

Yeah right!!

re·li·gion [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA noun

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Words do have meaning as there is scant difference between government, and 'religion'.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynicaleye

He has a point though, Real Christians shouldn't sign up to a service which pays you to murder people, even if it is to protect others.

Another one who knows history not

better sound

and of course, then there's the Battle Hymn of the Republic

George Washington in prayer at Valley Forge

I hope that settles that issue
edit on 2-5-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

yep, and secular humanism is a religion as well. taken all the way up to the Supreme Court on the matter.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I guess they are making it clear that if you are in the military (ie under de jure martial law) you dont have Constitutional Rights (ie 1A)....that will then be applied to those in the "Civilian Army" and then all government employees and eventually everybody I suppose. Incremental mission creep (frog in the heating water pot).

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I don't get what is so hard to understand about this. You can be any religion you want to be in the US military, you just can't try to recruit people into your religion, a very difficult concept for Christian Evangelicals (the main source of complaint via anonymous soldiers).

A Christian can pray at anytime, a Catholic can make the sign of the cross, a Muslim can bow to Mecca, a Pagan can cast a circle of Salt and call on the Elements etc., you just can't recruit. It's pretty simple. And yes when you sign up for the military, you are government property essentially... in other words you lose some of your rights and there isn't a soldier enlisted who hasn't been made aware of this reality.

So my question to the people in this thread that have a problem with their being a rule against proselytizing in the military, how would you feel if a Muslim or Pagan or Hindu did it? How would you feel if a Muslim Chaplain (yes they exist) started encouraging the males of his assigned troop/camp whatever to attend Muslim prayer? What if he started handing out Korans and asking other soldiers if they had accepted Allah? Conversely though any soldier is free to seek out a Chaplain of their faith for religious counsel and worship.

That is the purpose of both freedom of religion and separation of church and state, these protect everyone from any religion they choose NOT to participate in. Imagine a commanding officer flagrantly throwing his/her religion around and showing favor to those of the same faith and 'punishing' those who weren't.

Use your brains and stop fighting battles that simply don't exist.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Use your brains and stop fighting battles that simply don't exist.

But people want these battles to exist. Remember there are many people who thinks America is a "Christian" nation so by default our military should be Christian also. So the people who are behind this will try to get leverage so the Christians will be able to shove their religion down other peoples throat.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

George Bush:
'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'
President told Palestinians God also talked to him about Middle East peace
www.guardian.co.uk...
now thats the commander in chief of the US armed forces

Kill those who are not Christian or Jewish:

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him. Jude 5

www.evilbible.com...

Trouble is when you look into the christian army of the lord the above is what you find
It seems people other then Christians can read quite well
Then you get ummm...people like George W Bush aparantly claiming the christian god as justification for attacking predominantly Muslim countries....

well, thats the hight of prostylization with extreme predjudice

edit on 2-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't think religion really has a place in the military at all.

From a christian perspective, one of the ten commandments is "thou shalt not kill."
As you know, the whole purpose of a military is to go out and kill the people who are on the opposing side. Usually these people don't even really know what it is their fighting for in the first place. It's all just opposing political disagreements, and the common man has to go out and suffer.

If you want to be in a religious atmosphere, then go to a church, temple, or any other type of religious building. They made these buildings for a reason. Schools are for learning, restaurants are for food, and churches are for religion. Carry out your religious needs in the designated areas, don't go around and promote it in places where it is not needed.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

Propaganda and lies. Why spread them?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I think in a profession such as solidering, one should be able to pray to God. When one could be alive one minute, into enternity the next. I believe prayer and sharing the Word should not be banned. If someone is curious about the Christian faith, they should be allowed to be saved. Our military has openly accepted Wicca, pegansim, and radical Islam. To date, the Ft. Hood shooter still has not been court martialed. A person who killed 13 soliders. In fact, our President refered to the incident as "work place violence". Even when "Allah Akbar" is pronounced during the shooting, but Christians are a threat?

Confessing Jesus before men is a basic tentant of Christianity. Now, as of May 1st, pronouncing one's faith in Jesus is considered a crime. In fact, Mikey Weinstein went as far as saying it was treason and sedition to proclaim the Christian faith. Can you imagine if he said the same about Islam? Doesn't that sound disturbing? To be considered a criminal for pronouncing the Living God?

For Christians who are in the military now...get out. Do not re-enlist. If you are thinking of enlisting as a Christian, don't. As your country is at war with God in their minds. Do not be in the military of Babylon. If they will do this to Christians in the military, what will they do to civilian Christians? I never thought that anytime in my life I would see such a policy. The country we once knew, is no longer. Change has come and judgement is upon it.

Let's keep this in mind. What is being said is even talking to other soliders about Jesus is a crime. No one is forcing people to become Christians. That is not how my faith works. You have to accept in your heart with love the Lord. Not to be forced or feared into doing it.

Would it be acceptable if Muslims, Jews, and pegans were treated this way? Of course not. It appears that tolerance is a one way street.

I'm not usually so outspoken about this, and I do have respect for other faiths as well as those who don't believe in a god. I don't want anyone to take me the wrong way, I don't force my faith on anyone. I am always open to questions and critisism. However, this policy is madness. Absolutely unbelievable.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The title is a bit misleading though, the person wasn't court marshaled simply because they are apart of the christian faith. If that were the case, a pretty good chunk of the U.S. army soldiers should be in court also. It happened because they are trying to push their views onto other people. And of course some people, like myself, do not like that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join